Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Nine Preference Points

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Nine Preference Points

Postby Swede » 03 07, 2018 •  [Post 1]

I have nine preference points. That is far too many to use on any mediocre hunt, but far short of a great one. I just got to looking, and if I hold out to get 15-18 points, I can get a top quality unit. That will make me over 76 years old when I get that sweet kiss from the State, and an crisp new tag. That would put me into a unit with a 55% - 58% success rate. Usually the people that draw a tag hold out for a large bull. With one to five points I can go on a draw hunt that has 30% - 32% success.
Conclusion: 30% every other year or 58% every 17 or 18 years. I must be nuts. I have already applied for this year, but next year with ten points, I think I will use my points on a hunt that needs only 11 points rate and head out.
With point creep I may be over 100 years old before I get the best of the best units, and that 58% success. I guess I could get a handicapped permit and let someone else shoot for me.
You jerks don't all need to pile on. I am already feeling very poorly.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Re: Nine Preference Points

Postby Indian Summer » 03 08, 2018 •  [Post 2]

In Ohio? :lol:
Indian Summer
Wapiti Hunting Consultant

First Name: Joe
Last Name: Ferraro

Postby Elkhntr08 » 03 08, 2018 •  [Post 3]

Assume your talking Colorado. With the new app system, no pay, I’m afraid the creep is going to be unreal. Everyone with a computer will be applying. Used to grumble about coughing up 600+ to apply, but it did cut down on the number of applications. I know a lot of guys feeling your pain. Heck I’m dropping out of the Wyoming moose rat race. I’d be pushing 70 and have $800 wrapped up in points by the time that I might draw the tap.
Elkhntr08

Postby otcWill » 03 08, 2018 •  [Post 4]

The good news, 30% is great! That'd be about the highest success rate unit I've ever hunted and I think for a seasoned elk hunter like yourself, those units are an absolute treat. Draw and enjoy. Then draw again in a few years. Good luck!
otcWill

Postby saddlesore » 03 08, 2018 •  [Post 5]

I don't build points anymore, but I did draw a unit with 21 points back in 2009. However, I never missed an elk season while doing so and was usually very successful in those years.
I think in a few years we will see CO and other states revise their points system
saddlesore
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

Postby ElkNut1 » 03 08, 2018 •  [Post 6]

You're not getting any younger, use them up!

ElkNut/Paul
ElkNut1
ElkNut/Paul

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 03 08, 2018 •  [Post 7]

Pretty sure Swede's talking Oregon. Apply for the 30% success rate hunt with your current points John! Go get em :D
WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ

Postby Swede » 03 08, 2018 •  [Post 8]

RJ is right. I am talking Oregon. I wish there was a way to use just two or three points, but it is all or none. Still I am going to plan on a 10 or 11 point unit next year, the Lord willing. I may try another State again for bow hunting and get a rifle tag for Oregon. There are a bunch of good rifle tags available for a person with 10 points.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby stringunner » 03 08, 2018 •  [Post 9]

I want to hear your thoughts on units. I too am sitting at 9-10 points and the likely hood ever drawing one of the big 3 units is far off. I could hunt really really close to home in the ochoco unit every 2-3 years if I dump these points. I was thinking a muzzle loader tag maybe with the points. Hmm something to ponder.
stringunner

Postby ishy » 03 10, 2018 •  [Post 10]

I have been having this debate for 16 years with myself. I have spent way too much time trying to figure out Utah's top end units and what would give this meat hunter a shot at a once in a lifetime set of antlers. I stepped back and saw that a couple friends have hunted a "lesser quality unit" with great success, and I started hunting in this Unit 25 years ago. I also have enough points that I can share points with a great mentor that has always been there for my family, and always has always put others in the shooting position. If numbers stay the same we have 100% odds. I might be off, but I think if you have knowledge of an area and it is close enough to spend more time scouting those factors can weigh more than trophy "potential" in some areas.
ishy

First Name: Bryan
Last Name: L