Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Serious as a ......

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Serious as a ......

Postby Tigger » 03 08, 2018 •  [Post 1]

Something one of you knuckleheads said got me to thinking. How serious are you on your hunt? Is every single minute strictly business? Do you take Some time for fun? Relax? Sleep in? Have a laugh?

How about during the hunt, are you always business or will you take the time to convince your partner that pine sap makes great gum? :lol:
Tigger

Re: Serious as a ......

Postby saddlesore » 03 08, 2018 •  [Post 2]

Several years ago,I decided that I needed to have more fun hunting.Now,mid day I do a lot more of non hunting things and I don't hunt late afternoons
saddlesore
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

Postby Kessler10 » 03 08, 2018 •  [Post 3]

I have more of a serious business like approach right now. this might change when I get my first archery elk down.
Kessler10

First Name: Luke
Last Name: Kessler

Postby pointysticks » 03 08, 2018 •  [Post 4]

it's supposed to be fun for me. i keep it there..and that is a moving target.

some years, i am like a tyrant to myself..some years, flip flops and Hawaiian shirts
pointysticks

First Name: cliff
Last Name: l

Postby Swede » 03 08, 2018 •  [Post 5]

I try to do both. I am very serious about my hunting, but there is always time here and there for something on the lite side. I am sure it has gone unnoticed, but my sense of humor can run a little on the dry side. I like to leave it to you to figure out you have just been pranked. :D
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby Roosiebull » 03 08, 2018 •  [Post 6]

I try to be pretty mellow in mindset. I try hard, but I don't put pressure on myself, and yes, hunting with others, there may be some joking around.... maybe a lot :D

as long as it doesn't hinder success, i'm all about having fun. I wait all year to hunt elk, and i'm not turning into mr serious and creating pressure on myself, i'm enjoying the whole process.
Roosiebull

Postby Tigger » 03 08, 2018 •  [Post 7]

So what are some ideas for ways to relax, get a laugh, or just plain enjoy the overall hunting experience more?

One way for me I s to take some pictures. Another is to pay attention to all animal sign not just elk. And yes he did try the pine sap gum. And yes we did l laugh for hours.
Tigger

Postby Lefty » 03 08, 2018 •  [Post 8]

Ive been serious about elk, with the intent of enjoying the hunt. I have always had a very limited amount of days to hunt. Moose antelope, bear and deer have it a bit easy those hunts are for "fun"
While fishing with a muskie fisherman. "Make every cast as if it is your only cast" However hunting with my daughter Ive had to lighten up,.. I even take longer naps while hunting with her.

I think this year Ill be a bit more serous about bears instead of playing with the camera hiking and ATVing the country side.
I expect Ill kill an elk hunting solo, being serious and hunt with my daughter for fun
Lefty

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Postby Swede » 03 08, 2018 •  [Post 9]

As far are jokes or stunts go, I plan some well in advance and some are impromptu. Pouring water on the side of RJ's tent at night to simulate urinating was planned. What I did not take into account was that he would sleep through it. I hoped he would come running out as I sleepily walked back to me tent as if nothing. Some things work, while others don't. Some even backfire on you. The best jokes are planned out well in advance. In the end you want everyone to get a laugh.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby Navesgane » 03 08, 2018 •  [Post 10]

Im not serious to the point that im miserable but I do think about hunting everyday, spend a lot of time conditioning, scouting/hiking, researching and money on it. But I also feel at my age, Im at my prime or on the downhill side of it so I feel like I have to give 110% into it while I can. Maybe after I feel more accomplished in my hunting I'll calm down a bit, Hopefully :D
Instagram @jeff.reilly1
Navesgane

First Name: Jeff

Postby Joe Schmo » 03 09, 2018 •  [Post 11]

It’s war. It’s literally life and death. Sometimes I sleep in, or road hunt a morning and drink coffee and go to town, or not go up that next peak....and when I do I know that’s a missed opportunity and I’m usually alright with that.

That being said it has to be thrilling and fun and pretty much the highlight of your year or it’s not worth it :)
Joe Schmo

Postby >>>---WW----> » 03 11, 2018 •  [Post 12]

I'm serious! As a matter of fact, I'm dead serious when it comes to elk hunting. But, that is also about as fun as can be.
>>>---WW---->

Postby Indian Summer » 03 11, 2018 •  [Post 13]

>>>---WW----> wrote:I'm serious! As a matter of fact, I'm dead serious when it comes to elk hunting. But, that is also about as fun as can be.

Exactly. I have a never ending sense of humor most everywhere including at work. I keep everyone laughing in camp at night. I’m pretty light hearted when I’m out hunting and I don’t let adversities get me down at all. Bad weather, nasty terrain, and even a missed opportunity comes with the turf. But I never skip a day or even sleep in. I hunt hard from start to finish and never take the path of least resistance because it’s easier or I’m tired or sore. I believe that hard work and keeping your nose to the grindstone pays off in the long run. If I skipped a day and didn’t kill an elk I’d be convinced that the day I skipped I could have killed one for sure.
Indian Summer
Wapiti Hunting Consultant

First Name: Joe
Last Name: Ferraro