Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

the early versus late season topic

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

the early versus late season topic

Postby Kessler10 » 03 08, 2018 •  [Post 1]

figured id get this frequently brought up topic started as my view has changed a bit over the last few years.

talking about hunting in early season archery (first 2 weeks of Sept) versus late season (last 2 weeks in Sept).

Both have their pros and cons I would say.

I used to be all in for late season but have switched to the first 2 weeks. I think a lot of factors can go into this, but for me the main one is the area I am hunting and hunting pressure. I have hunted this area the last 2 years and have a good idea of the general spots the elk hang out in and/or retreat to. I have been on 3 scout trips and 2 hunts to this area and have alwasy either seen elk or seen plentiful elk sign in the same general spots. Granted they are difficult spots to get to.

Over the last 2 years I have also noticed Hunting pressure the first 2 weeks is very minimal in this area. the last week the trailhead was packed with cars. the first 2 weekends maybe 2-3 vehicles and the only hunters I ran into were packing out a bull.

true that I wont walk into a bugling frenzy in the first 2 weeks in most cases, but since I have a sense of the areas the elk will be and the areas they retreat to I can sneak in to the outskirts of these areas for calling setups in the early season. With the goal being to peak the interest of just one cow/bull. I feel in the early season the elk are not yet on high alert and lot more curious and willing to take more chances to check something out.
There might not be as many hot cows during this time, but seems like the bulls are establishing their terrirtories and willing to cooperate if you can get in to the right spots.

I am not a trophy hunter, any cow or legal bull will do. So that is another thing to conisder when thinking about when to go I would say.
I have also noticed that in the early season I have been more likely to walk up on elk. I did this a few different times last year in the early season. Walked up on elk grazing just over a hill, I was about 70 yards away. they never spooked, just looked my way an dstared for abit, and slowly fed away. Feel like if that would of been late season they would of been running before I could even know what happened or gone before I even could get eyes on them.

Interested to hear other peoples thoughts and strategies around early versus late archery season are
Kessler10

First Name: Luke
Last Name: Kessler

Re: the early versus late season topic

Postby Swede » 03 08, 2018 •  [Post 2]

I agree for the same reason you mention. I think they are easier to call if that is how you want to hunt. The elk are likely not to have had a hunter after them early. It takes a little more patience when you set up, but l like my chances better early.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby Navesgane » 03 08, 2018 •  [Post 3]

Hey Luke, the first bull I ever called in was on the opening weekend. He came straight to me by himself with a cow call and when he popped out onto the fire break about 70 yards downwind of me and stared at my rookie self, I just froze in amazement as he snorted at me and spun around and took off. Another year I found a fresh scat at the base of a fresh tree rub the Friday evening before opening day. I was at that tree before the sun came up and a nice 5x5 came to the tree and stared rubbing it. Long story short he busted me before I could get the shot off. Last year, I was hunting opening weekend and heard a bugle and started glassing to see a big bull following 6 cows that were going in the opposite direction of me. Minutes later they were busted up by someone or something but I was surprised how early the bull was haremed-up. IMO everyone likes hunting the peak of the rut which is no doubt a blast, but I think it can be especially harder to hunt once they are pressured and/or herded up, especially if youre solo hunting.
Instagram @jeff.reilly1
Navesgane

First Name: Jeff

Postby Lefty » 03 08, 2018 •  [Post 4]

If I now had to chose it would be the first 2 weeks,.. fewer hunters, bachelor bulls and herds are small.
Lefty
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Postby Roosiebull » 03 09, 2018 •  [Post 5]

Historically, I do best the first 2 weeks. I have had some of the most intense calling early. A few years ago I got one super fired up on day too, covered lots of distance fast, only stopping to scream and chuckle a few times, he was all in.

Ended up shooting him point blank on an open landing, so you never know.

Around here, hunting pressure is super high early, then high on the weekends and last week. I do think most elk have had fewer encounters with hunters early on (obviously) and that helps a bunch.

When you do get a hot cow early on, it can be pretty magical. If I had to pick 2 weeks, it would be the first 2. How I generally kill elk, rut crazed screaming bulls don't really up the odds, it may help me locate a bull earlier in the morning, but besides that, I'm fine hunting quiet elk.

I also have never had very high antler standards, most years I will shoot the first branch bull I can, this year I'm welcoming a spike to fit my criteria, and will actually prefer a spike this year.

With my mindset going into this year, early season will lend me the best opportunity. I plan on hunting them before they are educated, and I'm hunting the least educated elk in the herd (a spike :lol: )

I like the whole season, it's all good, when the season progresses, things change, but we always have something to exploit, it just changes through the season.

I like learning the areas I hunt really well, and learning the tendencies of the elk in those areas, prepares me for anything I may encounter.
Roosiebull

Postby Joe Schmo » 03 11, 2018 •  [Post 6]

Ok.
+1 for early.
I’m planning on hunting Sept 3-13 this year.
Reason being I feel as though my chances of opportunities with BIG bulls will be “easier” then.

So why hunt the last two weeks??
Perhaps the answer lies in what the nut frequently says...”when any bull will do”
Joe Schmo

Postby Swede » 03 11, 2018 •  [Post 7]

Joe, I sure won't argue with you or the nut on this. Probably our decision depends on what we want, plus when and where we hunt. :D
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics