Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Where Ya Huntin?

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Where Ya Huntin?

Postby Swede » 03 13, 2018 •  [Post 1]

Where are you hunting this next season? Before you get too specific with GPS coordinates, send me a PM, so the information can be scrutinized for forum appropriateness.

I plan to be back in central and eastern Oregon. I will likely go to a couple of different locations. The first stop is my usual stomping grounds then on to a place to be determined.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Re: Where Ya Huntin?

Postby wawhitey » 03 13, 2018 •  [Post 2]

I doubt very much that ill even hunt elk this season. I have a date with a very impressive 6x6 typical whitetail. I need to put all of my focus on that. Unless i get really lucky and catch up with him in early september, then its game on for elk.
Real eyes realize real lies
wawhitey

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 03 13, 2018 •  [Post 3]

Last two weeks of Elktember in the spud state on a backcountry elk adventure as of right now. Buddy and I are gonna do a scout end of July and see what we see. If we don't like what we see, we may turn in those tags and head back up farther north and hunt three weeks in Elktember on a different tag. If we hunt the first tag, then I plan on returning the second week in NOV to see if I can buffalo a nice deer in the same area (snow level may affect that plan a bit). Washington plans are still in the formulation process, but, it looks like it'll mostly be long weekends in the later seasons for wapiti and blacktail. If I draw a special permit in WA, then I'll take a bit of time off work to get er done. Hoping to get Mrs. W out on her first ever hunts... we'll see ;). She's supportive of my love for hunting but not so keen on the concept of shooting anything. She's got a very nice new Browning A-Bolt 3, .243 she's never even shot :shock:. I've shot it and it shoots just fine and dandy.
WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ

Postby Navesgane » 03 13, 2018 •  [Post 4]

Mid August-chasing antelope with my bow somewhere in Colorado.
September-chasing elk with bow around my home area and maybe meeting up with an elknut or two somewhere else in Colorado.
October-hopefully chasing elk with either a bow or ML somewhere in New Mexico.
November-hopefully chasing elk in Utah.
December-hunting deer in Arizona with a bow.
January-same as December.
Instagram @jeff.reilly1
Navesgane

First Name: Jeff

Postby stringunner » 03 13, 2018 •  [Post 5]

Where ever Swede and Oly go! 8-)

Hoping to get to break in my new pack hauling their dead elk out.
stringunner

Postby Mathewsz7-elkridge » 03 13, 2018 •  [Post 6]

Hoping to draw a general Montana tag but if not off to Colorado.
Mathewsz7-elkridge

Postby blackwolf » 03 13, 2018 •  [Post 7]

Colorado Draw for unit 2 Archery. Hoping to get lucky with 26 points. Montana general Elk Combo as backup.
blackwolf

First Name: Jim
Last Name: Messerschmidt

Postby Roosiebull » 03 13, 2018 •  [Post 8]

this might be a surprise.... but....

western oregon :D

if time allows (I might make time) I will be going to AZ with a buddy, he has a good elk tag, I won't miss much here (first week of blacktail) and work is generally slow, I think it would be fun.

WY pronghorn is in the works too, and would love to hunt them here, but i'm sure i'm a few years out on drawing a tag (I don't ever get lucky on stuff like that)
Roosiebull

Postby Indian Summer » 03 14, 2018 •  [Post 9]

For the first time ever I’m not sure. Didn’t draw my elk tag. So I’ll either try for a leftover cow tag in Wyoming or.... look at this as an opportunity to do something special. I’ve been researching an Alaska caribou hunting vie jet boat or air transporter. It’s been a long time since I’ve hunted the antelope of the tundra.
Indian Summer
Wapiti Hunting Consultant

First Name: Joe
Last Name: Ferraro

Postby otcWill » 03 14, 2018 •  [Post 10]

Well, with a 2 year old at home and a second on the way in April, I'm playing it by ear. The elk may just get a break from me messing with em this season. I'm sure I'll kill a few WY lopes and some deer though. Good luck to all!
otcWill

Postby Elkduds » 03 14, 2018 •  [Post 11]

CO Parks & Wildlife will decide for me ;)
Elkduds

First Name: Mark
Last Name: Scott

Postby BrentLaBere » 03 14, 2018 •  [Post 12]

otcWill wrote:Well, with a 2 year old at home and a second on the way in April, I'm playing it by ear. The elk may just get a break from me messing with em this season. I'm sure I'll kill a few WY lopes and some deer though. Good luck to all!

This is unacceptable, I need your stories in the off season for motivation....
BrentLaBere

First Name: Brent
Last Name: LaBere

Postby scubohuntr » 03 14, 2018 •  [Post 13]

Here and there around Montana. I'll be using the archery season to scout for rifle spots, trying to find areas without a lot of hunting pressure. Unless, that is, I get really, really lucky and draw a 380 bull tag.
scubohuntr

Postby jmorr » 03 14, 2018 •  [Post 14]

We will be hunting the alder jungles of the Idaho Panhandle some time in mid September. Can't wait!
jmorr

Postby elkstalker » 03 14, 2018 •  [Post 15]

Unless I draw an Idaho tag, it'll be Montana in November for me, back to some of my old haunts and hopefully some new ones. Before and after I'll be chasing upland birds and waterfowl in Montana and Idaho.
elkstalker

Postby Lefty » 03 14, 2018 •  [Post 16]

All within 21/2 hours of Pocatello Idaho. If my daughter and I kill early maybe Ill get a 2nd Idaho tag . Hunt cranes .
We will see about whitetail or antelope later, may travel to Utah to hunt with buddies or Montana.
Lefty
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Postby southernelk » 03 14, 2018 •  [Post 17]

hopefully we are drawn in montana. If so, I am bringing my son out for his senior trip. Can't wait
southernelk

Postby Joe Schmo » 03 14, 2018 •  [Post 18]

The Bighorn Mountains of Wyoming. After that somewhere in Idaho for some sort of deer. Then Washington for a sorry excuse for a deer...
Joe Schmo

Postby wawhitey » 03 14, 2018 •  [Post 19]

Joe Schmo wrote:The Bighorn Mountains of Wyoming. After that somewhere in Idaho for some sort of deer. Then Washington for a sorry excuse for a deer...

Washington has big bucks man. Ya just have to find em.
wawhitey

Postby Joe Schmo » 03 14, 2018 •  [Post 20]

Says a guy from Stevens county. Yeah they’re up there but it would be a helluva effort...like as much or more time than a guy would dedicate to a week long outta state adventure. Hell, you’re a local with first hand knowledge and you will probably spend more time chasing your “target buck” than I will on all my hunts put together. Just sayin. I’m not man enough for that.
I’ll just drive across the border, rattle one in and be home for supper ;) If’n I haven’t found a mulie I like over the course of the season.
This Tricities huntin is what I refer to as a sorry excuse...3 billion people, limited public land, no trees...every 3 point is probably too scared to rut even if they make it through!! I tend to “guide” newbies locally...to make a zoo more of a 3 ring circus!!
Did any of the above make sense...I doubt it. I’m shutting the internet off for the rest of the day.
Joe Schmo

Postby wawhitey » 03 14, 2018 •  [Post 21]

Joe Schmo wrote:Says a guy from Stevens county. Yeah they’re up there but it would be a helluva effort...like as much or more time than a guy would dedicate to a week long outta state adventure. Hell, you’re a local with first hand knowledge and you will probably spend more time chasing your “target buck” than I will on all my hunts put together. Just sayin. I’m not man enough for that.
I’ll just drive across the border, rattle one in and be home for supper ;) If’n I haven’t found a mulie I like over the course of the season.
This Tricities huntin is what I refer to as a sorry excuse...3 billion people, limited public land, no trees...every 3 point is probably too scared to rut even if they make it through!! I tend to “guide” newbies locally...to make a zoo more of a 3 ring circus!!
Did any of the above make sense...I doubt it. I’m shutting the internet off for the rest of the day.

Ya, it made sense. Honestly, if wdfw goes through with shortening the cougar season, ill be pretty much done hunting here, just on principle, and ill be focusing on idaho myself. We will see what happens when the new regs come out. This may be my final season hunting here in washington. Not too far for me to get to bonner / boundary counties, and the general seasons there are better than any quality permit here in wa.
wawhitey

Postby Cbb » 03 15, 2018 •  [Post 22]

Applied to SW MT for the General Combo again. Probably be in 270 and 321 again i have some good starting points in both units. Maybe a deer hunt or 2 in 260 on a little patch of private land. I may try and get on some BLM in the east side of the state for a deer hunt on my drive out. Hunt for a couple days then head further west for elk.

Not sure if I will be back at it with a bow or wait for gun.

New York deer
PA home state deer.
Cbb

Postby wawhitey » 03 15, 2018 •  [Post 23]

Guess ill try to get over to idaho for spring bear, since i struck out on the wa draw.
wawhitey

Postby Joe Schmo » 03 16, 2018 •  [Post 24]

wawhitey wrote:Guess ill try to get over to idaho for spring bear, since i struck out on the wa draw.

You and be both!!
Glass and stalk is what I’ll be doing...pretty sure it’ll be better than any WA draw hunt but we will see.
Joe Schmo

Postby ishy » 03 16, 2018 •  [Post 25]

Should draw Utah. If not will go to southern Idaho just so I can see this year and hunt with friends.
ishy

First Name: Bryan
Last Name: L

Postby lilshootergirl » 03 23, 2018 •  [Post 26]

Hey lefty! Heard those cranes are good eating? There a big no no in my area! There taller than me! That would fill an oven, or how do you prepare the bird?
If you can't find me, I'm not lost. I'm hunting!
lilshootergirl

Postby Thunderfoot » 03 26, 2018 •  [Post 27]

Western CO archery deer and Elk, September Bear, and always a long shot for moose. Eastern CO OTC Archery pronghorn, if I get some scouting done this summer, and can find time mid to late august.
Thunderfoot

First Name: Josh
Last Name: S.

Postby robloft » 04 06, 2018 •  [Post 28]

Right now the plan is to go to Montana. I’m hoping I can find someone to go with me since this will be my first elk hunt.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
robloft

Postby Lefty » 04 06, 2018 •  [Post 29]

robloft wrote:Right now the plan is to go to Montana. I’m hoping I can find someone to go with me since this will be my first elk hunt. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Congratulations ( or condolences).
One thing about elk hunters,.. generally , be a nice guy and you might pick up some companions at the trailhead camp!
First time hunting in Montana?
rifle? and/or archery?
other tags?
Lefty
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H