Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

World Elk Calling Championship

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

World Elk Calling Championship

Postby >>>---WW----> » 03 16, 2018 •  [Post 1]

Today is the start of the world championship if you are interested. It starts at 10;30 MDT for the prelims this morning (Friday) and the finaly will be at 12:00 noon MDT on Saturday tomorrow. You should be able to view it live on Elk 101 Facebook page. I had a hard time finding it last year but I'll admit, I'm a computer dummy! Hopefully it will be easier this year.
>>>---WW---->
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

Re: World Elk Calling Championship

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 03 16, 2018 •  [Post 2]

Sweet, thanks Bill. I'm not a Facebook guy. I wonder if I can run the live feed without a FB account?
WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ

Postby >>>---WW----> » 03 16, 2018 •  [Post 3]

Corey sent me an email about the event. I'll forward it to you and you can see what you can do with it. I think he said you didn't have to be a Facebook member to view it. Anyhow I'll forward it via email to you as soon as I post this.
>>>---WW---->

Postby >>>---WW----> » 03 16, 2018 •  [Post 4]

Looks like I may have the times wrong. It should be 12:00 today and 10:30 tomorrow
>>>---WW---->

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 03 16, 2018 •  [Post 5]

I think this is it. They just went over the contest rules and then signed back out... looks like the feed works fine. Doesn't look like you have to be a "facebooker" to watch/listen. I'm gonna try to keep this running on one of my PC screens at work; I'm sure my co-workers will enjoy this as much as I do ;).

https://www.facebook.com/pg/Elk101/vide ... e_internal
WapitiTalk1

Postby Tigger » 03 16, 2018 •  [Post 6]

I am pretty sure Travis from Wapiti River Outdoors is there. Good luck Travis!

Dunno if there are any other Wapiti Talk members there.
Tigger

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 03 16, 2018 •  [Post 7]

Michael Batease/The Elk Calling Academy is competing as well as Travis O'Shea/Wapiti River Outdoors.
WapitiTalk1

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 03 16, 2018 •  [Post 8]

Watching/listening to the kids call now.. They're awesome!
WapitiTalk1

Postby Tigger » 03 16, 2018 •  [Post 9]

I don't like listening to the kids call. Some are still in diapers and are better than I am. :cry:
Tigger

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 03 16, 2018 •  [Post 10]

Tigger wrote:I don't like listening to the kids call. Some are still in diapers and are better than I am. :cry:

LOL. One little gal's grunt tube was as long as she was :D She did a great job.
WapitiTalk1

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 03 16, 2018 •  [Post 11]

Michael Batease just finished his routine.... wow, very good. Trav O'Shea went a bit ago, also knocked it down. Some really, really good callers on the stage this year for certain.
WapitiTalk1

Postby Lefty » 03 17, 2018 •  [Post 12]

Tigger wrote:I don't like listening to the kids call. Some are still in diapers and are better than I am. :cry:

Well some of these kids were given a call instead of a pacifier or blankie :lol:

When I was involved on duck and goose calling some of those kids walk around all day with calls. I worked at a Jr High full of rodeo'ers
pulling lariats from their lockers during lunch. Kids seem to do a good job of picking up the skills with so much practice time.

And Tigger comp calling isnt calling during the hunt so cheer up their is hope for most of us. :lol:
Lefty

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Postby Joe Schmo » 03 18, 2018 •  [Post 13]

I can’t find the final results anywhere on the internet...weird.
Joe Schmo

Postby Lefty » 03 18, 2018 •  [Post 14]

Joe

I just checked the link , the video clips were at the top but took a moment to appear on my computer.
https://www.facebook.com/pg/Elk101/videos/?ref=page_internal
Lefty

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Postby elkaholicid » 03 18, 2018 •  [Post 15]

WapitiTalk1 wrote:Michael Batease just finished his routine.... wow, very good. Trav O'Shea went a bit ago, also knocked it down. Some really, really good callers on the stage this year for certain.

Thank you! The new format was a lot of fun this year and there were quite a few upsets that shocked a lot of people. It just goes to show that you never know what the judges are looking for or like. It's time to break down my routine and get to work for my next calling contest. Good thing I have better luck with bulls than I do with judges.
elkaholicid
Site Sponsor

Postby >>>---WW----> » 03 18, 2018 •  [Post 16]

That's a big 10-4 Michael! It is all about what the judges want to hear on a given day. Sometimes I wonder if some of them have ever actually heard a real elk before. There were some great sounds going on. But personally, there wasn't a single one of them that would have fooled me in the elk woods. Although sounding good, I thought everyone was going overboard with the grunts. Guess that's why the call it competition calling! :shock:
>>>---WW---->

Postby Joe Schmo » 03 18, 2018 •  [Post 17]

I’m the only person in America that’s not on instaface, I saw that Corey won it so that’ll do.
Joe Schmo

Postby ElkNut1 » 03 18, 2018 •  [Post 18]

I was there for the finals, Corey won it hands down! I would have enjoyed listening to Mike & Jason but they called a day early! Mike, there's no doubt you called well, it's in the judges hands & that's the bottom line, sometimes that sucks, don't give up!

ElkNut/Paul
ElkNut1
ElkNut/Paul

Postby elkaholicid » 03 19, 2018 •  [Post 19]

ElkNut1 wrote:I was there for the finals, Corey won it hands down! I would have enjoyed listening to Mike & Jason but they called a day early! Mike, there's no doubt you called well, it's in the judges hands & that's the bottom line, sometimes that sucks, don't give up!

ElkNut/Paul

Thanks, Paul. I'll never give up. I"m not wired to operate that way. I've been doing this long enough to know that it is subjective to what the judges like or don't like. I'm happy with the way I called and that's all that matters.
elkaholicid
Site Sponsor

Postby ElkNut1 » 03 19, 2018 •  [Post 20]

Mike, good for you, stay positive! I talked with Corey & he said he couldn't believe You, Jason & Dirk didn't make it, you guys called very well to be near the top. Sorry I missed your performance!

ElkNut/Paul
ElkNut1
ElkNut/Paul

Postby Swede » 03 19, 2018 •  [Post 21]

I don't give these contests any of my time. They are not only totally subjective, the are completely meaningless. The guy that did not place could be just as good of a hunter, or even better than the first place finisher. I know of hunters that likely have never heard of calling contests, that have a lot of elk antlers in the barn or house.
Is the fellow that got the big belt buckle, riding a bull at the rodeo, any better ranch hand than the guy out tending cattle and mending fences? The rodeo and the elk calling championships are just shows.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby >>>---WW----> » 03 19, 2018 •  [Post 22]

Swede stated, "They are not only totally subjective, the are completely meaningless"!

First of all, It is a (contest) to determine who can make the most realistic elk sounds not who is the best elk hunter. And the biggest part of the contestants are darn good at it. Many ,especially in the pro division, either make a product or are affiliated with an elk hunting product maker. And they are there to display and promote their products.

Personally, I would be more inclined to support someone that has the gumption to get up there in front of the elk hunting world and try to prove how good their product that they make really is than someone that has to hire a professional to do the job for them. And the $5000 dollar first place price isn't so bad either.
>>>---WW---->

Postby Swede » 03 19, 2018 •  [Post 23]

>>>---WW----> wrote:Personally, I would be more inclined to support someone that has the gumption to get up there in front of the elk hunting world and try to prove how good their product that they make really is than someone that has to hire a professional to do the job for them.

You have every right to feel that way, and do as you choose, but that decision is totally arbitrary and capricious. I don't care who is using the call. The prize most of us are looking for is a dead elk. With that as the standard, then who and what is "best".? Many manufacturers hire experts to demonstrate their product. For those manufacturers it is about sales.
I give our sponsors a hard time every once is awhile, but as far as their products are concerned, I have no doubt they are as good as they get, regardless of who wins on a given weekend. :D
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby ishy » 03 21, 2018 •  [Post 24]

I know how they could fix it- they should combine it with one of those train to hunt deals! Make them run a 3D course with a pack, do burpees, shoot, and then try to muster enough oxygen to call. That would be a fun contest to watch. That would get some subjectivity removed.
ishy

First Name: Bryan
Last Name: L