Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

NM draw vs OTC co

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

NM draw vs OTC co

Postby currie » 03 18, 2018 •  [Post 1]

Would like your guys input on a dilemma I’m having. Put in for a high % or getting drawn NM elk hunt or OTC Co elk. What would you guys do?
currie

Re: NM draw vs OTC co

Postby saddlesore » 03 18, 2018 •  [Post 2]

High % would win hands down.Any more OTC in CO is a joke and I'm a CO resident
saddlesore
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

Postby 82ndreddevil » 03 20, 2018 •  [Post 3]

I’ve done OTC in CO for archery and rifle when I didn’t draw in NM. Both times I regretted it. Now CO requires NR to buy a year long fishing license along with the big game license which added 100 bucks to it. The worst elk hunts in NM are better than OTC in CO. That’s why I set up my NM app with 3rd choice high chance to draw. CO is a great state that offers great opprotunities but they need to put caps on OTC hunts and maybe the quality of hunt may go up. I don’t wish to offend anyone by my opinion and it is just my opinion.
82ndreddevil

Postby >>>---WW----> » 03 21, 2018 •  [Post 4]

No brainer! Put in for the NM tag. If you draw, that's great ! If not, go to Colorado, walk into the first Walmart you come to and buy your OTC tag.

Colorado is and always has been a dumping ground for those that didn't draw in some other state.
>>>---WW---->

Postby saddlesore » 03 21, 2018 •  [Post 5]

82ndreddevil wrote:I’ve done OTC in CO for archery and rifle when I didn’t draw in NM. Both times I regretted it. Now CO requires NR to buy a year long fishing license along with the big game license which added 100 bucks to it. The worst elk hunts in NM are better than OTC in CO. That’s why I set up my NM app with 3rd choice high chance to draw. CO is a great state that offers great opprotunities but they need to put caps on OTC hunts and maybe the quality of hunt may go up. I don’t wish to offend anyone by my opinion and it is just my opinion.

No offense taken here 82. I'd be hunting NM if I could afford those "Highly Desireable " hunt tag fees. I'm not sure if that is waht they call them now,but few years ago,they were $800+
saddlesore

Postby 82ndreddevil » 03 21, 2018 •  [Post 6]

saddlesore wrote:
82ndreddevil wrote:I’ve done OTC in CO for archery and rifle when I didn’t draw in NM. Both times I regretted it. Now CO requires NR to buy a year long fishing license along with the big game license which added 100 bucks to it. The worst elk hunts in NM are better than OTC in CO. That’s why I set up my NM app with 3rd choice high chance to draw. CO is a great state that offers great opprotunities but they need to put caps on OTC hunts and maybe the quality of hunt may go up. I don’t wish to offend anyone by my opinion and it is just my opinion.

No offense taken here 82. I'd be hunting NM if I could afford those "Highly Desireable " hunt tag fees. I'm not sure if that is waht they call them now,but few years ago,they were $800+

Your referring to the “quality” tags. Yes I think those are rip offs for NR as well. Not sure what criteria they are using to determine what makes it a quality hunt.
82ndreddevil

Postby saddlesore » 03 21, 2018 •  [Post 7]

I use to hunt Pecos Wilderness and east of Questa, south of the Latir Lakes, and up in the Rio Las Vacas country going in near Fentin Lake.
saddlesore