Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

The Old Man And The One Elk Wonder

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

The Old Man And The One Elk Wonder

Postby Swede » 03 20, 2018 •  [Post 1]

The old man had many elk kills to look back at and reflect on. He could share from a life of experience and be a help. If fact he was influential in getting his young friend his first elk. There was a pride they both shared for more than a moment. The old man's days were somewhat numbered, but through his young friend, he could vicariously continue on indefinitely. They were a good pair in their own way. The young hunter was excited about elk hunting, and wanted to tell everyone, everything. He was a little too excited, and annoyed some by telling them all he had seen and done, but who could blame him? The old man sometimes came across as unresponsive and set in his ways. He was unresponsive to different things that were being touted as new and improved, or the latest. He had been down that trail too many times before, so who could blame him?
This forum is my off season hunting camp, but just like in September, I look at other camps to see what is going on with them. Well I came across a campfire conversation that frankly irritated me. I will share my take on it with you. At the other camp there were complaints about inexperienced hunters making claims, and sharing opinions that were exaggerated, or not correct. Some even claimed they did not participate at the campfire much anymore because of these new "BSers".
I remember Oly when he first started hunting. Several times I had to tell him to point the gun AWAY from me. He was full of excitement, unaware, and asked a lot of questions. Some questions may have seemed goofy to someone other than a father, but they were honest inquiries. His observations would have shown his inexperience to anyone that had spent a lifetime in the forest, but they were genuine. Oly is a mature seasoned hunter now. He knows elk hunting quite well and can share advise or observations with the best of hunters. It has taken years, but he has arrived.
That my friends is what we do here at W.T. We share and encourage one another, including BSers". We may disagree even with other old hunters on things, but our tent is large and there is room for many experiences. We are all hunters, but we have not all hunted that same canyon at the same time. We don't all do it the same, but we are all in the hunt together. Certainly what has worked for one hunter on his sunny hillside may not work for you. His technique is nuanced and may not fit everywhere. Consider the old man's advise as helpful and a good tool. Try it out where you hunt, but don't invest your whole hunt on one thing. Learn to be diverse and develop your own skills.
Lastly, share what you learn. Stay here with the forum. At W.T. the old timers are not wanting to be condescending or obnoxious. We look forward to people getting their first elk or discovering that the trick they tried last season worked again. Elk fever has infected us for many years. Fortunately the disease has ruined no one, but is uniquely a great joy. I am sure I speak for many when I say, we smile when we read expressions of pride and excitement when anyone tags their elk. I still get excited, for sure. And if your observation comes across as "BS", we very likely will let you know, but don't be offended. That too can be a learning tool. I wish I had a mulligan for every wrong elk trail I traveled. I would have a lot of great hunts ahead of me.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Re: The Old Man And The One Elk Wonder

Postby Elkduds » 03 20, 2018 •  [Post 2]

Well said, Swede. I suppose if WT catered to the political conflict du jour, had a "gasoline, meet match" section, or specialized in comparatively measuring the male protrusion, it might have more members (PI*). I never recall it being like that. Just good folks, good discussions, good support. Kum Bye Yah is not all bad.

PI = pun intended.
Elkduds

First Name: Mark
Last Name: Scott

Postby Swede » 03 20, 2018 •  [Post 3]

Mark. I am sure we agree, honest debate is great. It informs hunters that there may be more to the subject than just one point of view. In the shoot no shoot scenarios, or What Would You Do scenarios, we see different people honestly give different answers. Maybe it is experience, or just their personal comfort level. We just don't eat our new hunters during the discussion. We may ask, did you consider this or that before you released the arrow? That makes it a good learning opportunity.
To be honest, I want all newer hunters here around our campfire and have them engaged in the discussions. If you have a couple of seasons or one elk kill to discuss, join in. If you are looking ahead to that first trip to the elk woods, here is a great starting place. :D
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby saddlesore » 03 20, 2018 •  [Post 4]

Unfortunately, I have come to the age that what I remember might not be actually what happened. Put me out in the back country and I can remember every trail I rode almost. Unless I look at photos with dates, all those elk hunts just run together. Techniques etc, just seem to come naturally without much thought and I have trouble remembering how I knew that. I think I will be leaving a lot of "how to's" up the the younger set hence forth.
saddlesore
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 03 21, 2018 •  [Post 5]

Well put Swede. With very few exceptions, this forum has always stayed the course and remained informative, insightful, helpful, and yep.... even entertaining. I will say its not an easy feat to keep the flow smooth but with such great MODs, some long time members, and a bunch of great newer members the WT forum continues to stand head and shoulders above many similarly structured hunting forums. I personally always take a knee and listen to advice/comments from more seasoned hunters than I. However, at this stage in my life, the gap is narrowing on folks who are longer in the tooth than me ;). I also really enjoy listening to the experiences of younger hunters as they move through the earlier part of their elk hunting journey. I honestly can't think of any of our members that I wouldn't jump at the chance to hunt with (well, maybe not that Tigger character..he's a bit suspect I think :D). Seriously, we have a great group of folks here and our membership continues to grow almost daily. Now if we can just get some of the silent members to jump in and chime in a bit more, we'll really be cooking with grease.
WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ

Postby Tigger » 03 21, 2018 •  [Post 6]

RJ, When we hunt together, I might just squirrel away a can of Stagg's chili just so I can share the aftereffects!

Yep, WT is a great place to hang out. There are some seasoned hunters here for sure and I will bet guys like Saddlesore have forgotten more than I will ever know. Everyone has something to contribute from a question to an answer to a comment to another way to do something. Even the experienced hunters can learn something now and then (ie RJ, who by all accounts is an experienced hunter, outed himself as having not a clue on the art and science of making and eating a smashed PB&J sandwich!!! I know...the HORROR!).

I don't think it is a surprise that I spend the bulk of my time on this board and one other. Both are moderated closely and there is no (WT) to little (the other board) political sparring discussion.

We should have a thread with people sharing 1 tip per post on elk hunting. Old and new, experienced and greenhorns...I like it and will start it shortly!
Tigger