Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

First time Oregon hunters

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

First time Oregon hunters

Postby Navesgane » 03 20, 2018 •  [Post 1]

A long time friend of mine and an Oregon resident and myself (non resident) want to hunt elk there this year, hopefully around the Bend area during rifle season. He's not particular about what elk- he'll be happy with a cow tag. I'm not interested in a cow and would rather have a bull tag and/or a buck tag, or I'll just be there helping him without a tag. What are the odds of me drawing a bull or buck tag in a unit close to Bend? And are the otc tags worth messing with? I've tried to hold off on asking these questions and have been doing my own research but it seems Oregon is one of the toughest and most confusing state to get any big game hunting info and stats from out of the handful of states that I've looked into. Any websites that would help would be much appreciated!
Edit; I've found the Oregon tags draw percentage page. It looks like there are sub units within the units. E.g.; 34 upper deschuttes has 5 sub units or areas. Where do you find these areas on a map within the unit??
Instagram @jeff.reilly1
Navesgane

First Name: Jeff

Re: First time Oregon hunters

Postby Swede » 03 20, 2018 •  [Post 2]

Oregon OTC rifle elk hunts fall into one of two categories. 1. Ranch hunts 2. Non tax deductible charitable contributions the Oregon Department of Fish & Wildlife. Which are you going on?
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby Navesgane » 03 20, 2018 •  [Post 3]

Can't really afford either of those, maybe a smaller donation for a point this year..
Instagram @jeff.reilly1
Navesgane

Postby Swede » 03 20, 2018 •  [Post 4]

I think if you planned to hunt elk west of interstate 5 you have a long shot chance as an unguided nonresident. Very long shot.
Swede

Postby Navesgane » 03 20, 2018 •  [Post 5]

Thanks Swede, I think we'll put in as a party and not get our hopes up and maybe next year will be more in our favor.
Instagram @jeff.reilly1
Navesgane

Postby Swede » 03 20, 2018 •  [Post 6]

The good news I can share is that it does not take a lot of points to get a good rifle hunt east of the Cascades. You don't need to hold out for the Wenaha or some like it. If you are interested on the coast Roosies, it is very tough coming in straight from out of State. You would do a little better getting gated timber company land access. That can cost you several hundred dollars for Weyerhaeuser land and probably some others.
Swede