Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

2019 Elk Trip

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

2019 Elk Trip

Postby VT Sasquatch » 03 28, 2018 •  [Post 1]

Hi guys: I want to take another crack at elk hunting in the fall of 2019 (I can't make it in 2018). It's hard to plan from a distance but the last trip was to Grand Mesa National Forest for the bow season. I didn't get one but had a good time. This time I want to go for the rifle season (2nd rifle is OTC, I think). I am trying to get ideas. There were quite a few other hunters in the area when I hunted so I am concerned that the pressure may drive all of the elk onto private land or remote forest by the time the second rifle season opens. This got me thinking that some kind of drop camp might be worthwhile to get me away from the crowds.

I am not a trophy hunter so I would be happy with any legal elk. I would prefer to get a bull over a cow, though. Any suggestions on areas? Should I be applying for a preference point this year in case I can't get an OTC tag (maybe I am wrong that they are OTC). I will probably be travelling alone but there is a chance one of my friends will join me. I have a 4x4 truck, an ATV and all the camping gear needed to DIY but if I can reach an area myself, so can everyone else. Any suggestions for drop camps or areas? Thanks
VT Sasquatch

Re: 2019 Elk Trip

Postby saddlesore » 03 28, 2018 •  [Post 2]

If you think the bow season was crowded, wait to you experience an OTC Colorado rifle hunt. I advise against it.

One of the BEST drop camp outfitters in Colorado is Jeanne Horne of J Bar-H Outfitters, barhoutfitters.com.She is already booked for 2018 and taking bookings for 2019.Most of her clients are repeats. She operates on national forest land, Unit 12, south of Craig CO. The biggest elk herd in Colorado resides there.

Great equipped camps,great staff, all very courteous and all know the country where the elk hide. She was voted outfitter of the year a few years ago,has donated elk hunts to RMEF and up until this year was on the Colorado Parks and Wildlife Commission. At least hurry and get your application in for a preference point this year, Dead line is April 2nd and you do it on line now.
You won't find a negative comment about her.At least give her a call 970-878 0663.

Only problem is you need four in camp. I don't think you will find many outfitters that can or will accommodate a single hunter.No profit in it.They need to fill those camps up.
saddlesore
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

Postby Navesgane » 03 28, 2018 •  [Post 3]

Any particular reason on the 2nd rifle season? To echo what Saddlesore said; Even with just one point you can draw a 1st rifle either sex tag in a lot of non-trophy units- ones that are typically otc for arxhery, 2nd and 3rd seasons, which will have a lot less hunters and less pressured elk during that time.
Instagram @jeff.reilly1
Navesgane

First Name: Jeff

Postby VT Sasquatch » 03 28, 2018 •  [Post 4]

Great info, thanks guys. I was thinking the first season was for residents only. That might be the way to go (or maybe muzzleloader). I like archery but don’t have the skill/knowledge to get that close to an elk. I tried archery the last time but would rather increase my odds of success). Getting 4 people to go will not likely be feasible for me, ufortunately.
VT Sasquatch

Postby VT Sasquatch » 03 28, 2018 •  [Post 5]

One other question. I was not drawn for the tag I applied for in 2016 so I bought an OTC archery tag. I didn’t apply for anything in 2017. Does that mean that the preference point from 2016 expired? If not, I could get one this year and maybe have 2 by next spring.
VT Sasquatch

Postby Swede » 03 28, 2018 •  [Post 6]

I would put in for preference points in a couple of States that don't require a big investment. I know there is still time to apply in Oregon. If you can't go this year, just put in for a unit that requires over 10 points to get selected, or I think you can just put in for a point. Do not hold out for one of the most exclusive units. They are not really worth the time, cost and effort.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby Navesgane » 03 28, 2018 •  [Post 7]

VT Sasquatch wrote:One other question. I was not drawn for the tag I applied for in 2016 so I bought an OTC archery tag. I didn’t apply for anything in 2017. Does that mean that the preference point from 2016 expired? If not, I could get one this year and maybe have 2 by next spring.

You should have a PP for 2016. I would go on CPW site asap and create a profile (new things this year) and pirchase a point. You can view you PP on the site and buy on this year if you do it soon- I think April is deadline and it is likely to crash if too many people wait till the last second.
Instagram @jeff.reilly1
Navesgane

Postby VT Sasquatch » 03 29, 2018 •  [Post 8]

Thanks. I'll apply today.
VT Sasquatch

Postby VT Sasquatch » 03 29, 2018 •  [Post 9]

I just bought the preference point. Now I have 2. I should have spent the $13 last year.
VT Sasquatch

Postby CurlyTail » 03 29, 2018 •  [Post 10]

Sounds like you should give serious consideration to a Muzzleloader hunt. This will increase your effective range to 75-100 yards, but still allow you to hunt during the rut, when Elk are easier to locate and calling can be effective. Muzzleloader in Colorado is peak rut, and by draw only. Some areas are very difficult to draw, others not so hard.
CurlyTail

First Name: Jim
Last Name: B.

Postby saddlesore » 03 29, 2018 •  [Post 11]

Not many units left that cow ML are a "B" tag, but I draw every year and then I can also buy an "A" tag for rifle season either OTC or a left over.
saddlesore

Postby VT Sasquatch » 03 29, 2018 •  [Post 12]

Thanks guys. That may be the way to go. I have a Thompson Center .50 caliber muzzleloader that is very accurate. I applied for the muzzleloader tag in 2016 for unit 421 (I think) and didn’t draw one. As a result, I bought an OTC archery tag for the same area. Maybe I should do that since I have some knowledge of the area.

Any idea what the odds would be like for the first season of rifle in a public land area like 421? I would like the extra punch and range of a 30-06 and the cooler weather might give me a little more time to get the meat out. I like the idea of cling and have a couple calls but had no luck with them on my last trip.
VT Sasquatch

Postby Thunderfoot » 03 31, 2018 •  [Post 13]

With 2 points now you can draw ML or 1st rifle for 421. I know for ML that tag includes several GMU's 41, 411, 52, 521, and 421. I believe it's the same for first rifle but I could be mistaken. Pressure in ML will be similar to what it was during archery. 1st rifle is more limited, but there will still be people out and about. OTC for second season you will witness the "orange army".
Thunderfoot

First Name: Josh
Last Name: S.

Postby VT Sasquatch » 04 01, 2018 •  [Post 14]

Thanks. If first rifle is less crowded, I wonder if that would give a novice like me a better chance? Any chance of drawing for first season rifle with 1 preserence point? My friend may want to take the trip with me. We could get him 1 point now. He would be fine with a cow tag if that is an easier draw.

Thanks again for the info guys. It will go to good use. I am not a talker. When I say that I am going, I go.
VT Sasquatch

Postby Navesgane » 04 01, 2018 •  [Post 15]

It all depends what unit. You should pick up he latest issue of Colorado outdoors preference point issue, I think it around$5. It will show you the amount of points it takes to draw each unit and season. If you are looking at a certain unit shoot me a pm and I'll tell you how many points it takes to draw it.
Instagram @jeff.reilly1
Navesgane

Postby saddlesore » 04 01, 2018 •  [Post 16]

Navesgane wrote:It all depends what unit. You should pick up he latest issue of Colorado outdoors preference point issue, I think it around$5. It will show you the amount of points it takes to draw each unit and season. If you are looking at a certain unit shoot me a pm and I'll tell you how many points it takes to draw it.

It shows 2017 draw odds, 2018 will be slightly different, maybe1 more point. Certain areas will change more due to decrease in allotted tags with herds being closer to objective level
saddlesore

Postby VT Sasquatch » 04 04, 2018 •  [Post 17]

Thanks guys. I am not too concerned with trophy size or anything. The biggest issue for me is access and a place to camp. That's why I went to the Grand Mesa NF on my first trip. I am thinking I will probably apply to the same area (Unit 241 I think) for either muzzleloader or first rifle in 2019. I'll have 2 preference points.
VT Sasquatch

Postby CurlyTail » 04 05, 2018 •  [Post 18]

On the Colorado website, click on the "Statistics" link and you can find reports that will tell you how many PP it took to draw, and other stats of interest like number of tags issued for a particular season etc. The reports are not very user friendly and may take some study to figure out what they are reporting.
CurlyTail

First Name: Jim
Last Name: B.

Postby VT Sasquatch » 04 09, 2018 •  [Post 19]

Well it looks like I am going to be solo again. My buddy who said he was interested didn't buy a preference point so I'll take that as a sign he is not serious about it. He's a good friend that I have been hunting with for 25 years but he is partial to stand hunting smaller woodlots so I'm not surprised. It's too early now but I'll post something as things draw closer to see if anyone wants to meet up. Otherwise, I will be solo again.
VT Sasquatch