Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Early Elk Calves?

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Early Elk Calves?

Postby Heartwood » 04 01, 2018 •  [Post 1]

Is it possible or likely that elk calves could be born in late March early April? Cows would have to be bread in early August with an 8.5 month gestation, mid April would be 8.5 months. Neighbor says he saw calves with spots in a herd of elk in Garden Valley Idaho on March 30. Kind of hard to believe without seeing it myself. For those who get to be around Elk in the spring, what is the earliest that you have seen calves. I have always seen them toward the end of May into early June. Calves born this early, just doesn't seem possible.
Heartwood

First Name: Matt
Last Name: Houle

Re: Early Elk Calves?

Postby Lefty » 04 01, 2018 •  [Post 2]

Darwin seems to take over on the out of season litters. I would think its possible but rare.
Ive trapped kit muskrats that were less than 4 weeks old in November. A neighbor treed a lion with kittens that appeared weeks old. We trapped a sow coon in November that was still being suckled. Saw road-ill racoon "cubs" less than a 1 lb in October.

Deer fawns dropped the week of July 4th.Our game warden (40 year old story) told us that fawn was from a early born doe that cycled and was breed in January. Im just going by recollection, he also mentioned that the bucks often dont, wont or cant breed too far off.
Lefty
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Postby Swede » 04 01, 2018 •  [Post 3]

Before I answered this question, I would like to know how big the calf was. I doubt the cow was bred in July. That would be very shortly after she just previously calved, or this was her first calf. Most heifers get bred late. It is the old ones that tend to breed a little early. So was it a premature birth? If so the calf is not likely to survive.
Throughout my life I have heard incredible claims associated with wildlife. Every once in awhile they are true. I am very skeptical of this case.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby Heartwood » 04 01, 2018 •  [Post 4]

I'm pretty skeptical also, sure would like to get a look at the critter myself.
Heartwood

First Name: Matt
Last Name: Houle

Postby Lonnie » 04 03, 2018 •  [Post 5]

I would believe it. I know what the books from all of the elk biologists say. Yes I believe those books in a perfect world. But I also believe we live in a world that some times a scientist can not predict what is going to be the normal. And for some reason weather it is bad genetics, bad hormones, lack of vitamin or nutrition. I do believe elk can cycle way before or way after what the books say. And yes I have been in the timber long enough to see what you are seeing. I had a bunch of Marines I was teaching to pack mules one time in late March. While we were going down the trail one marine found a new born elk and picked it up. Thinking his mother left him. The Marine brought the baby elk over to me and asked what he should do with it. So yes I have seen early baby's. Lol
Lonnie