Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

The Stealth Hunter

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

The Stealth Hunter

Postby Swede » 04 03, 2018 •  [Post 1]

Going undetected that you are a predator is always important. As soon as an elk knows you are a human, the game is over. So what are some of your tricks or tactics you use to maximize your chance of getting close enough to un-spooked elk to be able to shoot one?
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Re: The Stealth Hunter

Postby saddlesore » 04 03, 2018 •  [Post 2]

Watching wind is most important.Never take several steps in a row.When you think you are moving slow enough move 1/2 that fast . Use the binoculars a lot of heavy timber. Have the mind set that there are elk just outside of you close vision.
saddlesore
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

Postby Lefty » 04 03, 2018 •  [Post 3]

Move when they arent looking; doesnt matter 20 yards or a 1000 yards.
And sometimes you can getaway with more movement (some cow will bust you before the bulls) and even more so with noise on a big herd. Ive dogged a few herds in the open desertand have only been busted by the wind,Move like a herd animal not a predator. Likee Saddlesore said dont look human
Figure out the natural cover to stay hidden,.. plan the stalk, think it out,.. think it out a bit more than you have been.
As a fat old guy bow hunter my archery cow stalk i watched the elk bed, waited for the wind to change. I started at 160 yards and moved out and away. 1.5 hours, my self in the open desert 13 and 15 yards from the two nearest bedded cows, then took the shot on a 25 yard broadside feeding cow.
I use to "practice" a lot as a young kid. When I was 19 I killed my first antelope on a trip to Wyoming ,.. 15 yard rifle shot. Two Utah goats 20 yards and 50.another Wyoming shot I wanted my pic with the antelope me at 7-8 yards my daughter at maybe 15. I was getting a bit cocky waiting for the picture.
Pick out where you put your feet.
And you can practice on any animal cats dogs; Unless your 12 years old practicing on neighbors is creepy.
I'll leave it to your own discretion about sneaking up on your wife :lol:
Lefty

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Postby Elkduds » 04 03, 2018 •  [Post 4]

Eschew bipedalism. Meaning crouch down, don't appear vertical. In walking, put toes down before heels, this creates a less-human sound to your gait.
Elkduds

First Name: Mark
Last Name: Scott

Postby Swede » 04 03, 2018 •  [Post 5]

Have you ever noticed how well an elk can blend in with their surroundings? Their camo is as good as it gets, but it Is not simply a pattern. Movement is a big part of it. What the eye picks up on is movement. I also camouflage my movement by staying in the shadows. I disguise the noise I make by making occasional cow sounds. I don't use a lot of cow calls. It is just one every so often so that elk within hearing distance will believe I am a foraging cow communicating with a calf. Cow talking as you move is a good way to get a bull to call out to you. I have had them try to call me in.
Swede

Postby Roosiebull » 04 04, 2018 •  [Post 6]

ambushing is a very good way to "sneak in" set a collision course, and let them do the moving. I rarely (but sometimes do when it makes sense) move in a straight line to an elk i'm trying to shoot. I like to skirt them until they come into a good spot, close the distance and hold tight.

of course, like any other tactic, it doesn't always work, but it consistently works. one cow cutting behind you or whatever can blow the deal, but that is why I keep some distance until I think I found a good bottleneck then set up. don't over commit too early. getting too close too fast generally ends in a stampede :D
Roosiebull

Postby Tigger » 04 05, 2018 •  [Post 7]

Eschew bipedalism-- that may be my favorite line of the year so far!

First I don a ghillie suit, then douse myself in mixture of honey and cow elk urine, roll in elk duds (both bull and cow). The honey gets leaves, grass, twigs, etc to stick providing perfect forest camo. By sticking in a few branches, I can become a bush.

No, not really. Just kidding.

I once had a whitetail do lie down 15 yards from the trail I wanted to walk out on from my stand. She laid behind a log so wouldn't be able to see me, but the woods was dry so she would hear me. I listened to squirrels and made squirrel sounds right past her and she never was the wiser!
Tigger

Postby Lefty » 04 05, 2018 •  [Post 8]

Swede wrote:,...... It is just one every so often so that elk within hearing distance will believe I am a foraging cow communicating with a calf. Cow talking as you move is a good way to get a bull to call out to you. I have had them try to call me in.

Im trying to picture Swede in a tree, foraging like a cow, communicating with a calf. :o :shock:

Maybe Im the only one envisioning "Swede in a tree" with my warped sense of self humor
Lefty

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Postby Swede » 04 05, 2018 •  [Post 9]

Some people believe I was born and raised in a tree. I was an elk hunter long before I had a tree stand. I just went to the trees to shoot elk. :D
Swede

Postby Elkduds » 04 05, 2018 •  [Post 10]

Lefty wrote:Maybe Im the only one envisioning "Swede in a tree" with my warped sense of self humor

Don't wonder why it is only raining on the one tree you are standing under.
Elkduds

First Name: Mark
Last Name: Scott

Postby Swede » 04 05, 2018 •  [Post 11]

Elkduds wrote:Don't wonder why it is only raining on the one tree you are standing under.

Everyone knows a little yellow rain never hurt anyone, but do ya think it would affect your scent control strategy? Hummm???
Swede