Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

2018 resident license fee increase

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

2018 resident license fee increase

Postby saddlesore » 04 03, 2018 •  [Post 1]

The proposed resident license fee increase did not pass.There will be no increase in resident license fees for 2018.
saddlesore
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

Re: 2018 resident license fee increase

Postby Elkhntr08 » 04 04, 2018 •  [Post 2]

In Colorado?
Elkhntr08

Postby saddlesore » 04 04, 2018 •  [Post 3]

Elkhntr08 wrote:In Colorado?

Yes
saddlesore

Postby saddlesore » 04 04, 2018 •  [Post 4]

However,the vote is coming up this Friday,I believe, for 2019
saddlesore

Postby CurlyTail » 04 05, 2018 •  [Post 5]

That is crazy! 50 bucks for an Elk Permit. They are going to have to shut down some State Parks if they don't up that fee a bit (sarcasm).

I am still very concerned that they merged the Division of Wildlife with Parks and Recreation. Hunters are going to pay eventually.
CurlyTail

First Name: Jim
Last Name: B.

Postby Elkduds » 04 05, 2018 •  [Post 6]

Resident license fees here last increased in '06. NR fees go up every year, indexed to inflation. IMO, CO is too financially dependent on NR hunters and overcharges them, but they keep paying so the fee is tolerable to those NRs who pay it. I am in favor of a well-spent fee increase for residents. Habitat and game management are not free. What in your hunting kit still costs the same today as '06?
Elkduds

First Name: Mark
Last Name: Scott

Postby CurlyTail » 04 05, 2018 •  [Post 7]

Hypothetical : Would Colorado residents agree to increasing elk tag fees to 1000.00 in exchange for the elimination of non-resident tags?

My thought- yes, but once the non resident tags were eliminated, they would not buy tags at that price point
CurlyTail

First Name: Jim
Last Name: B.

Postby Elkduds » 04 05, 2018 •  [Post 8]

CurlyTail wrote:Hypothetical : Would Colorado residents agree to increasing elk tag fees to 1000.00 in exchange for the elimination of non-resident tags?

My thought- yes, but once the non resident tags were eliminated, they would not buy tags at that price point

In 2017 CO sold 378,000 resident hunting licenses, and 110,000 NR licenses (all species including small game). So each resident hunter would have to pay for 3.5 NR elk tags, plus a resident tag, to keep $ the same w no NRs hunting. In that scenario my resident elk tag would cost $1800. Ouch :o
Elkduds

First Name: Mark
Last Name: Scott

Postby llewokj » 04 05, 2018 •  [Post 9]

CurlyTail wrote:That is crazy! 50 bucks for an Elk Permit. They are going to have to shut down some State Parks if they don't up that fee a bit (sarcasm).

I am still very concerned that they merged the Division of Wildlife with Parks and Recreation. Hunters are going to pay eventually.

Ever since they combined Parks with Wildlife (used to be separate) they’ve been siphoning money from tag fees for ‘other things’ and they are now in dire financial need...go figure! I’m sure most of their income comes from hunters, not parks. Park however, cost more to operate and generate less income. AND by the way, they just got a 29 million dollar check from the US Department of Interior.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
llewokj

First Name: Jeff
Last Name: Kowell

Postby N2mywake » 04 07, 2018 •  [Post 10]

CurlyTail wrote:Hypothetical : Would Colorado residents agree to increasing elk tag fees to 1000.00 in exchange for the elimination of non-resident tags?

I just commented on this scenario in another thread before seeing this. CO residents are quick to dismiss the out of staters but can't stand the thought of a few dollar rate increase for them.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
West Kentucky Boy
N2mywake

Postby saddlesore » 04 07, 2018 •  [Post 11]

N2mywake wrote:

I just commented on this scenario in another thread before seeing this. CO residents are quick to dismiss the out of staters but can't stand the thought of a few dollar rate increase for them

That is because we sacrifice a lot in order to live here so we can hunt elk every year. We also are keenly aware of the poor fiscal management of the CPW and can't see giving the CPW more money when they waste what they have..
You can buy a Colorado tag without a draw for less than $700 but try Montana or the high demand hunts in New Mexico
saddlesore