Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

what is a fair price for an elk tag?

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

what is a fair price for an elk tag?

Postby Lefty » 04 06, 2018 •  [Post 1]

Currently so many states charge apx 10 times as a resident tag. Im not talking a guided trip
What do you think is the right price for you,as a resident in your state for an elk tag , what do you want to pay in another state as a non resident? What should non residents pay in your state ( if you have elk)

How much are you willing to pay and what conditions and weapons.

Personally I would rather pay more for a tag and have a better experience. A better experience would mean more elk interactions and more days to hunt. Lets say all of September and October for archery and maybe the last two weeks in October with a rifle. As a working man my wife would let me by a tag up to $1000. Now retired she would let me pay more even as a resident if I have more days. My wife knows how important it is for me to get out ( her dad is the same way).

My wife is good with current Montana and Wyoming tags prices if I had 6 or more days in the woods. In reality as long as I bring meat home my wife would "let me" pay the current NR price for a tag.

There are a few places I would love to hunt in New Mexico or Nevada that as a one time deal my wife would let me spend couple grand or more as long as the rest of the hunt was reasonable.
Lefty
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Re: what is a fair price for an elk tag?

Postby Navesgane » 04 06, 2018 •  [Post 2]

In my utopian world it would depend on ones annual income, kinda like a sliding scale- if someone made $40k a year it would be half as much as someone that made $80k a year. I don't really have a set number in my head but the thought of big game hunting being only for the "better off" disgusts me, and the opportunity to utilize our natural resources to put meat in the freezer should be an equal opportunity.
Instagram @jeff.reilly1
Navesgane

First Name: Jeff

Postby Joe Schmo » 04 06, 2018 •  [Post 3]

I just compare NR Elk tag prices to the price of a guided hunt...then add in the fact that nobody will be holding my hand while I hunt. BAM...worth it!!
Joe Schmo

Postby Tigger » 04 06, 2018 •  [Post 4]

This is as far into the political science as I want to venture, but I don't agree with a sliding scale. For the most part, the guy who makes $80K works harder, works smarter, got more education, or took more risk than the guy who makes $40K. I don't think he should be punished for that. There are exceptions here and there, but that holds generally true. If you penalize him, what incentive is there to work harder and make more money?

To answer the question, I think for most that $1000 price tag is a line in the sand. I would prefer resident hunters and anglers pay a little more (my state included) and nonresidents pay a little less than they currently do. I think it has gotten out of control to the point that NRs are shouldering way more than their fair share. That is just my .02.
Tigger

Postby Elkhntr08 » 04 06, 2018 •  [Post 5]

I agree that NR tags are out of control. Here in Illinois, I pay $30 for a buck & doe tag. A NR has to pony up over $400 for a buck tag. But I can hunt my brother’s farm in Indiana for around $150. Varies a lot state to state.
Elkhntr08

Postby jmez » 04 07, 2018 •  [Post 6]

I think the prices should be set based on the budgetary needs of the states. I don't have any notions of what they should cost.

I see a lot of comments on forums about the NR prices being out of hand. I don't believe that to be the case. Want vs need, a concept that has become lost on our society.

Most everyone could do away with some amenities and more than pay for an out of state tag every year.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
jmez

First Name: jason
Last Name: mez

Postby N2mywake » 04 07, 2018 •  [Post 7]

This topic definitely stirs some emotions in resident hunters. I live in KY and mainly elk hunt Colorado. I gladly pay my $6xx for my opportunity to do so. On the flip side I see residents gripe over an $8 increase in their fee but complain about too many non-residents being allowed to hunt in CO.... I'm not sure who they think would shoulder that burden without the non-residents...

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
West Kentucky Boy
N2mywake

Postby saddlesore » 04 07, 2018 •  [Post 8]

N2mywake wrote:This topic definitely stirs some emotions in resident hunters. I live in KY and mainly elk hunt Colorado. I gladly pay my $6xx for my opportunity to do so. On the flip side I see residents gripe over an $8 increase in their fee but complain about too many non-residents being allowed to hunt in CO.... I'm not sure who they think would shoulder that burden without the non-residents...

Why not hunt Mt, WY or NM then. Could it be Wy has a law that if you hunt Wilderness area you have to have a guide or Montana you get extra chance of drawing a tag if you send in your contract with an outfitter, or if you want to hunt better ares in NM,you have to pay for those high demand hunts.Compare NR tag prices with those states against resident tag prices in the same state,and you will see that CO still has the best deal compared to percentage wise against resident tags. I'd gladly pay more if Colorado would raise their NR tags to be the same price as the surrounding states and have the application deadline the same so Colaordo would not be the dumping ground for all the hunters that didn't draw in earlier draws of other states.

Why give CPW more money when they just got $29 million from the feds.
saddlesore

Postby N2mywake » 04 07, 2018 •  [Post 9]

saddlesore wrote:
N2mywake wrote:This topic definitely stirs some emotions in resident hunters. I live in KY and mainly elk hunt Colorado. I gladly pay my $6xx for my opportunity to do so. On the flip side I see residents gripe over an $8 increase in their fee but complain about too many non-residents being allowed to hunt in CO.... I'm not sure who they think would shoulder that burden without the non-residents...

Why not hunt Mt, WY or NM then. Could it be Wy has a law that if you hunt Wilderness area you have to have a guide or Montana you get extra chance of drawing a tag if you send in your contract with an outfitter, or if you want to hunt better ares in NM,you have to pay for those high demand hunts.Compare NR tag prices with those states against resident tag prices in the same state,and you will see that CO still has the best deal compared to percentage wise against resident tags. I'd gladly pay more if Colorado would raise their NR tags to be the same price as the surrounding states and have the application deadline the same so Colaordo would not be the dumping ground for all the hunters that didn't draw in earlier draws of other states.

Why give CPW more money when they just got $29 million from the feds.
I'm not complaining about my non-resident tag cost at all. CO is my hunt of choice because I love the area.

West Kentucky Boy
N2mywake

Postby >>>---WW----> » 04 07, 2018 •  [Post 10]

To me it isn't so much the fair price as it is just plain being fair. When ever this issue comes up, I can't help but think about those poor Arizona residents that can't draw a tag in their own state. But yet there are hundreds if not thousands of non residents that are allowed to hunt there.
>>>---WW---->

Postby Joe Schmo » 04 07, 2018 •  [Post 11]

Funny thing. I came across a Idaho nonresident elk tag that was 20 years old and the price was like $350...it’s $415 now. If tags were like candy bars that same tag would cost $2400 nowadays!!
Joe Schmo

Postby Fridaythe13th » 04 09, 2018 •  [Post 12]

How about this, minimum tag price. But a $1 a pound if you get one its still cheap food. Lol
Fridaythe13th

First Name: Eric
Last Name: S

Postby CurlyTail » 04 09, 2018 •  [Post 13]

I rationalize an elk tag as an expense for a vacation. If I go DIY, camp for free, and do all my own food. I can get through a 10 day hunt for about one thousand bucks. If I tag out - add another 350.00 for processing fees.

Compared to a trip to Europe, maybe a week at fish camp in Canada, maybe a ski trip - this becomes an expensive but acceptable expense. Especially since it is my favorite thing in the world to do.

However, to spend over 1,000.00 on a tag that only provides opportunity, not an actual guaranteed commodity, would become unacceptable. For instance, I will not apply for the Wyoming Special Draw or nonresident Moose tags due to the cost of the tag.

I do think resident Elk tags are too cheap. 50.00 is ridiculous, I would say that 200.00 would be about right - maybe that would get some of the "party/social" hunters off the Mountain. In Nebraska, I paid 150.00 which I thought was a bargain.
CurlyTail

First Name: Jim
Last Name: B.

Postby Wyo67 » 04 09, 2018 •  [Post 14]

CurlyTail wrote:I do think resident Elk tags are too cheap. 50.00 is ridiculous, I would say that 200.00 would be about right - maybe that would get some of the "party/social" hunters off the Mountain. In Nebraska, I paid 150.00 which I thought was a bargain.

When you look at resident deer prices in several Midwest states ranging from $20-$40, why is $50 resident elk ridiculous and what would increasing a resident's fee 4x solve? How many resident Nebraska deer hunters would support a 4x increase in their deer tags to about $160? Your pricing to try and get "party/social" hunters off the mountain would most likely prohibit the guy making $15/hr from getting a tag with his wife or kids.

To answer Lefty's question, I paid $62 for my resident application this year in Wyoming. I think that's about right. With regards to the non-resident prices, I don't have a problem with where they are at as is. Based on surrounding states, the non-resident cost to hunt WY is reasonable in my opinion. If you want to pay the extra $$$ to get into the Special draw, then that's up to you, not me.
Wyo67

Postby Navesgane » 04 09, 2018 •  [Post 15]

I think they should be as low as possible. If I want to donate more of my money to help elk herds and habitat, I'll dontate to organizations such as RMEF and the like, not inept governments that are horrible at spending/wasting money. There, I said it.
Instagram @jeff.reilly1
Navesgane

First Name: Jeff

Postby Ern » 04 09, 2018 •  [Post 16]

I agree Navesgane. It sucks that hunters are such an easy target :shock: for the states to raise money. I don't think states even try to think of other options to fund their game and fish departments since they know hunters will pay whatever fee they throw out there. We all fund plenty of things in our towns we don't use due to local taxes. Why can't non-hunters fund some of their states outdoor needs. Just a crazy thought. Sorry for the rant.
Ern

First Name: Dave

Postby Swede » 04 10, 2018 •  [Post 17]

I would pay $200 for a resident or nonresident tag, but I really want a good hunt without over crowding.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby CurlyTail » 04 11, 2018 •  [Post 18]

I guess that I consider an Elk Tag to be quite a bit more valuable than a Deer tag. In Nebraska, the deer are so common, that everyone I know has hit one with their car, and there is quite a need to control the population since the deer herd has pretty much overflowed the available habitat. Deer tags need to be inexpensive and available so that guys can help control the herd size. The current popularity of Trophy hunting has made it more difficult to control the populations. Not that many guys want to harvest a doe, so the populations just keep expanding.

Elk seem to be much less common, and live in much larger spaces making them harder to hunt. The opportunity to hunt Elk is quite limited, and therefore more valuable.

Of course, I think this entire resident vs. nonresident thing is a bit out of control. Why should a nonresident pay more to hunt than a resident - on Federal land? Why should a resident get preference on Federal Land just because they live closer? I would like to see Federal elk tags issued to hunt National Forest and BLM land, and State Elk tags issued to hunt state owned land. It would be more "fair" Why should Colorado residents "suffer" (less opportunity, more competition) just because their State is generous to non-resident hunters, while South Dakota residents enjoy amazing opportunity because their state is highly protectionist?
CurlyTail

First Name: Jim
Last Name: B.

Postby saddlesore » 04 11, 2018 •  [Post 19]

You are not paying to hunt on Federal land. Anyone can access federal land at no cost.You are paying to hunt big game which is owned by the state, not the feds.This argument comes up time and time again and has no validity.It is the same as hunters saying get CPW in CO make bikers, hikers, ATV users pay to use federal land and help the financial burden that currently hunters and fishermen pay all.

Even the Habitat stamp that CPW in CO charges is only required to use federal land when hunting, but is required for all users of State Wildlife Areas,but is not enforced
saddlesore

Postby >>>---WW----> » 04 11, 2018 •  [Post 20]

Amen Saddlesore!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
>>>---WW---->

Postby jmez » 04 11, 2018 •  [Post 21]

I agree with what you are saying Saddlesore, except in the case of WY. Where you pay the state to hunt their animals and then they tell you that you can't utilize federal land to do so.
jmez

First Name: jason
Last Name: mez

Postby saddlesore » 04 11, 2018 •  [Post 22]

jmez wrote:I agree with what you are saying Saddlesore, except in the case of WY. Where you pay the state to hunt their animals and then they tell you that you can't utilize federal land to do so.

That would really stick in my craw.It's the main reason I never hunted WY, if you hike in a wilderness area, you do not need a guide, if you hunt,you do.
saddlesore

Postby Wyo67 » 04 12, 2018 •  [Post 23]

jmez wrote:I agree with what you are saying Saddlesore, except in the case of WY. Where you pay the state to hunt their animals and then they tell you that you can't utilize federal land to do so.

Even as a resident, I completely agree the Wilderness restrictions are a crock and are simply pandering to the outfitters. However, as you state it above that's not true. The wilderness rule is specifically mentioned in their maps and documentation that non-residents must have a guide. When you apply for tags it's up to you to know the rules/regulations for the area you are applying for. If someone applies for and receives a WY Area 55 tag which is nearly (if not totally) 100% wilderness area, they can't say "I didn't know I needed a guide..."

As with the cost of the tags as we've discussed throughout the thread, it's the individual states that make the laws and set the prices to hunt in their state. When hunting out-of-state, you're paying to hunt game animals that are owned and managed by the citizens of that state. As the rightful owners of said animals, those citizens can run the program pretty much as they see fit.
Wyo67

Postby Swede » 04 12, 2018 •  [Post 24]

I am curious. How do you folks interpret Article IV, section 2 of the United States Constitution, as it pertains to charging nonresidents more than the residents? How does this Article pertain, or not to requiring nonresidents to hire a guide to hunt wilderness?
Swede

Postby Wyo67 » 04 12, 2018 •  [Post 25]

CurlyTail wrote: Of course, I think this entire resident vs. nonresident thing is a bit out of control. Why should a nonresident pay more to hunt than a resident - on Federal land? Why should a resident get preference on Federal Land just because they live closer? I would like to see Federal elk tags issued to hunt National Forest and BLM land, and State Elk tags issued to hunt state owned land. It would be more "fair" Why should Colorado residents "suffer" (less opportunity, more competition) just because their State is generous to non-resident hunters, while South Dakota residents enjoy amazing opportunity because their state is highly protectionist?

You're not paying to hunt the land. You're paying to hunt the state resource (wildlife) and as I said, the state sets the law and can charge what they want and make the rules as they see fit. Last I checked, I don't get preferential treatment or access to federal land. You have just as much right to be there (camp/hunt/fish) as I do.

Maybe I'm getting grumpier as I get older :lol: , but I don't see this as an issue of "fairness". This is still the USA and everyone has the opportunity to live where they want and pursue their happiness. Granted there are life choices, situations, or circumstances the could prevent or hinder someone from making those pursuits, but the opportunity is still there. For example, if someone wanted to move to Florida to take advantage of the resident prices to get into Disney World instead of say that of a Wyoming resident hunter, they are free to do so.
Wyo67

Postby Swede » 04 12, 2018 •  [Post 26]

Wyo67 wrote:Maybe I'm getting grumpier as I get older, but I don't see this as an issue of "fairness".

I know this is an elk hunting forum, but there are many times more fishermen than elk hunters. How would it work if Oregon, Washington and Alaska said all nonresidents had to have a guide to fish the rivers and coastal waters of these States? Does that sound like a "fair" deal?
Swede

Postby Wyo67 » 04 12, 2018 •  [Post 27]

Swede wrote:
Wyo67 wrote:Maybe I'm getting grumpier as I get older, but I don't see this as an issue of "fairness".

I know this is an elk hunting forum, but there are many times more fishermen than elk hunters. How would it work if Oregon, Washington and Alaska said all nonresidents had to have a guide to fish the rivers and coastal waters of these States? Does that sound like a "fair" deal?

I think I'm on record here somewhere that I do not agree with the wilderness rule in WY. To answer your question, no I wouldn't consider that fair, which is why I would be perfectly happy seeking out mountain lakes for trout :) before heading back to the west coast to snag a salmon. Besides, I'm sure a non-resident will pay more for a fishing license than a resident in those states yes ;) ? While we're at it, do you think a non-resident with no local knowledge, should be required to have a licensed or resident guide to take a boat out and salmon fish the mouth of the Columbia River?

A poster advocated federal elk tags to hunt National Forest and BLM land while the state issues tags to hunt state owned land and that would be more "fair". My point regarding the "fair" comment is that if you think the system, laws, or non-resident fees to hunt for a particular state are not fair, then you don't have to play the game in that state. If you want to elk hunt in a particular state, then you will have to play be their rules whether you agree with them or not. Same as a nonresident coming to your state will have to play by your states rules.

Being a resident of every state in the union has its advantages and disadvantages when compared to others; be it hunting opportunities, financial rewards, or even weather conditions. To pick one point (resident hunting price) and say $xx for this state is ridiculous because I paid $xxx in my state adds little to the conversation because comparing the elk hunting of Colorado/Wyoming/Montana/Idaho to states where herds are smaller (Nebraska) or have recently been reintroduced (Michigan/Kentucky/Missouri come to mind), is comparing apples to oranges.

Lefty originally asked what’s the right price for you as resident for your state. IMO Wyoming is pretty close at just over $60. I don’t want to put the cost out of reach for a guy with family to support who can maybe only hunt weekends for an unknown outcome. It is hunting after all and nothing is guaranteed.

BTW -I'm just an old ex-Navy Chief - your question about the Constitution is over my head :lol: . Need some clarification!
Wyo67

Postby Swede » 04 12, 2018 •  [Post 28]

Wyo67 wrote:BTW -I'm just an old ex-Navy Chief - your question about the Constitution is over my head . Need some clarification!

I have to admit I found that to be funny, as I go to my old "The Bluejackets' Manual" to read the Constitution.
Article IV. section 2. "The Citizens of each State shall be entitled to all Privileges and Immunities of Citizens in the several States." I guess I am asking if I am receiving the same privilege as a resident to hunt in a Wyoming wilderness, if I have to hire a guide?
Swede

Postby Wyo67 » 04 13, 2018 •  [Post 29]

Swede wrote:I have to admit I found that to be funny, as I go to my old "The Bluejackets' Manual" to read the Constitution.
Article IV. section 2. "The Citizens of each State shall be entitled to all Privileges and Immunities of Citizens in the several States." I guess I am asking if I am receiving the same privilege as a resident to hunt in a Wyoming wilderness, if I have to hire a guide?

My best guess is that since the Supreme Court ruled that the state owns the wildlife within their borders and can regulate the management and harvest, then they can limit the wilderness access. The sea lawyer in me is saying that non-residents are allowed to hunt the wilderness and they can hunt in it, they just have to follow the additional restrictions managed by the state.

It's been a couple of years, but when I was a resident guide for my Dad's hunt, I know the paperwork to do so cost nothing and I believe it specifically said I could not charge the non-resident to be a guide - so in effect a non-resident can hunt a wilderness area for free with the only restriction being that they have the resident guide with them. Like I said before, I don't agree with the wilderness rule, so I'm not going to defend it.
Wyo67