Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Elk movement

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Elk movement

Postby currie » 04 07, 2018 •  [Post 1]

Last season I was hunting elk and I was wondering why elk leave the security of the bush and trees to eat in the meadows when to me the meadows didn’t have any more or better feed that what was growing in and around the trees. Is it because of predators? See better at night in the open meadow or is there more to it.
currie

Re: Elk movement

Postby saddlesore » 04 07, 2018 •  [Post 2]

Different grasses, different tastes.Some are tough,some are tender.The more grass,the faster the elk can eat what they need. Like all grazing animals they have preferences. As an example, put a bunch of cattle in belly deep grass and they will search around and find the tender shoots down next to the ground and leave those tough stems alone. Put horses in the same pasture and they will feed along nipping the seed heads off the top,then go back to the tender shoots.
If there is lot of hunting pressure,elk will go nocturnal into those meadows. If there is a lot,they will make do with less desirable grass inside the timber
saddlesore
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

Postby Elkhunttoo » 04 07, 2018 •  [Post 3]

saddlesore wrote:Different grasses, different tastes.Some are tough,some are tender.The more grass,the faster the elk can eat what they need. Like all grazing animals they have preferences. As an example, put a bunch of cattle in belly deep grass and they will search around and find the tender shoots down next to the ground and leave those tough stems alone. Put horses in the same pasture and they will feed along nipping the seed heads off the top,then go back to the tender shoots.
If there is lot of hunting pressure,elk will go nocturnal into those meadows. If there is a lot,they will make do with less desirable grass inside the timber

Spot on!!! Not much to add for me
Elkhunttoo

Postby currie » 04 08, 2018 •  [Post 4]

saddlesore wrote:Different grasses, different tastes.Some are tough,some are tender.The more grass,the faster the elk can eat what they need. Like all grazing animals they have preferences. As an example, put a bunch of cattle in belly deep grass and they will search around and find the tender shoots down next to the ground and leave those tough stems alone. Put horses in the same pasture and they will feed along nipping the seed heads off the top,then go back to the tender shoots.

Thanks
currie

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 04 08, 2018 •  [Post 5]

Elk love meadows for the most part. Sun kissed grasses that possess quality nutrients, pasture type grazing (as Saddlesore mentioned, more bang for the buck during feeding), and some really good terrain to bed down in (elk prefer flat to steep whenever feasible and safe to catch up on their ZZZ's). This said, much is predator (hunter pressure and yep, wolf dependent). It also depends on the overall layout of the area. For example, there are areas that contain many meadows per square mile so in a way, too much of a good thing; it's a crap shoot to pick which meadow the big galoots may frequent. Elk are notorious for becoming almost nocturnal to feed during the fall. They will certainly frequent the salad bars in lush meadows but will only do so at night once the first stinky hunter appears. Listening from vantage points, even doing some distant location bugles, can reap rewards if you've found fresh sign in a meadow/meadows and wish to confirm who is hanging out there. For these nighttime feeding elk, one needs to pattern travel routes to/from the meadows and be there right before dark and a few minutes before the sun pops in the morning to have an opportunity to intercept. All this said, there is a phenomenon/concept I happen to have seen in the past handful of years that will make elk avoid meadows like the plague. In areas that hold elk, and, are predominately alder choked.... one would think that the few natural meadows located in said areas would be elk magnets, right? Well, they are in a way but after the grey's have made it more than known that they are very successful at killing elk in said meadows, the locals will eventually avoid these feeding areas. Below is a few pictures of what I call "the killing fields" in a couple of rare natural meadows in an area I've hunted in N ID for a handful of years. Remember, gray wolves are not native to the lower 48... these are Canadian wolves that have been born/bred to hunt more open areas in Canada/Alaska very successfully I might add. The transplants prefer to hunt more open areas (i.e., meadows) where they can group attack big game more effectively. This is why the patterns/mannerisms of elk in these types of areas have changed over the years in my observations. I'm not saying that the wolves don't hunt/kill elk in thicker areas, but, its a bit more difficult for them. These elk in the really thick areas have changed their feeding, bedding, even travel and rutting area patterns in an attempt to avoid wolf contact..... Here's a few pics of the killing fields in one of my areas in N ID. The wolves continued to frequent the area well after the kills to chew on bones and mark the area. If I was an elk, I would probably try to avoid these areas whenever possible.

IMG_0178.JPG
IMG_0178.JPG (245.26 KiB) Viewed 2273 times

IMG_0175.JPG
IMG_0175.JPG (262.48 KiB) Viewed 2273 times

IMG_0170.JPG
IMG_0170.JPG (366.42 KiB) Viewed 2273 times

IMG_0172.JPG
IMG_0172.JPG (321.1 KiB) Viewed 2273 times

IMG_0173.JPG
IMG_0173.JPG (417.96 KiB) Viewed 2273 times
WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ

Postby currie » 04 08, 2018 •  [Post 6]

WapitiTalk1 wrote:Elk love meadows for the most part. Sun kissed grasses that possess quality nutrients, pasture type grazing (as Saddlesore mentioned, more bang for the buck during feeding), and some really good terrain to bed down in (elk prefer flat to steep whenever feasible and safe to catch up on their ZZZ's). This said, much is predator (hunter pressure and yep, wolf dependent). It also depends on the overall layout of the area. For example, there are areas that contain many meadows per square mile so in a way, too much of a good thing; it's a crap shoot to pick which meadow the big galoots may frequent. Elk are notorious for becoming almost nocturnal to feed during the fall. They will certainly frequent the salad bars in lush meadows but will only do so at night once the first stinky hunter appears. Listening from vantage points, even doing some distant location bugles, can reap rewards if you've found fresh sign in a meadow/meadows and wish to confirm who is hanging out there. For these nighttime feeding elk, one needs to pattern travel routes to/from the meadows and be there right before dark and a few minutes before the sun pops in the morning to have an opportunity to intercept. All this said, there is a phenomenon/concept I happen to have seen in the past handful of years that will make elk avoid meadows like the plague. In areas that hold elk, and, are predominately alder choked.... one would think that the few natural meadows located in said areas would be elk magnets, right? Well, they are in a way but after the grey's have made it more than known that they are very successful at killing elk in said meadows, the locals will eventually avoid these feeding areas. Below is a few pictures of what I call "the killing fields" in a couple of rare natural meadows in an area I've hunted in N ID for a handful of years. Remember, gray wolves are not native to the lower 48... these are Canadian wolves that have been born/bred to hunt more open areas in Canada/Alaska very successfully I might add. The transplants prefer to hunt more open areas (i.e., meadows) where they can group attack big game more effectively. This is why the patterns/mannerisms of elk in these types of areas have changed over the years in my observations. I'm not saying that the wolves don't hunt/kill elk in thicker areas, but, its a bit more difficult for them. These elk in the really thick areas have changed their feeding, bedding, even travel and rutting area patterns in an attempt to avoid wolf contact..... Here's a few pics of the killing fields in one of my areas in N ID. The wolves continued to frequent the area well after the kills to chew on bones and mark the area. If I was an elk, I would probably try to avoid these areas whenever possible.

IMG_0178.JPG

IMG_0175.JPG

IMG_0170.JPG

IMG_0172.JPG

IMG_0173.JPG

Thanks for the input appreciate it.
currie

Postby Swede » 04 10, 2018 •  [Post 7]

Grasses in the open meadows get a lot of sunshine and have a high nutrient level. That is what the elk, especially cows, want.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics