Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

What did you just say to me – 2018; Episode #1

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

What did you just say to me – 2018; Episode #1

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 04 09, 2018 •  [Post 1]

Disclaimer: I’ll try to be a descriptive as possible with the scenarios but please understand I can’t cover all the variables potentially encountered in each of the presented situations. For these threads, let’s assume everybody knows what the different elk noises sound like (cow chatter, locater bugle, screams, chuckles, grunts, alarm barks, nervous barks, etc.). Remember, it’s all about sharing knowledge from experience, asking questions, and perhaps, learning a thing or two. Let’s start this first one.

Scenario: It’s early September and you’ve set up in mid to late afternoon on a well-used wallow you scouted over the summer and confirmed was active a few days ago. This is the first time you’ve hunted it. At this time of the day, the thermals have switched and are gently rising uphill. You’ve set up with some good cover to your back (brush and large downed tree trunk that precludes anything from walking in from behind you). You’re sitting above one side of the wallow that allows you some great shooting lanes that range out to about 40 yards. Right about the time you’re seriously considering launching a broad head at an annoying pine squirrel that seems to think he works for ADT, you hear a distant bugle. A few minutes later, you hear the bugle again. The bull seems to be coming your way. Again closing the gap, about 150 yards down and across the basin, a clear locater bugle rings through the trees. This dude seems to be on his way to the wallow you’re sitting on! What is this elk communicating and what action, if any, should you take to potentially get a shot? Are you hollering back in an attempt to ensure the bull comes your way (if so, what verbal or non-verbal elk sounds are you using)?
WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ

Re: What did you just say to me – 2018; Episode #1

Postby Wyo67 » 04 09, 2018 •  [Post 2]

I don't think I'm doing anything other than checking the wind to ensure that it is good. This bull may be checking to see if there's any elk around the wallow and any response (especially another bull sound) may send him packing. Nock an arrow and get ready...
Wyo67

Postby ishy » 04 10, 2018 •  [Post 3]

No calling he's on his way and you have the upper hand, both advantages will be compromised with any noise....then somewhere in the cyber-expanse of Oregon Swede leans back in his chair, smiles, and says, "they are listening!"
ishy

First Name: Bryan
Last Name: L

Postby CurlyTail » 04 10, 2018 •  [Post 4]

Nock an arrow, check the wind, put on your game face and remain silent
CurlyTail

First Name: Jim
Last Name: B.

Postby cohunter » 04 10, 2018 •  [Post 5]

I've experienced this several times and have one elk from this scenario. He's saying, "anybody at the wallow? I'm coming in!" He's not coming for company and wants the wallow to himself so don't even cow call. (Lessons learned here) Just check the wind and get ready - but don't move around. He'll probably pause a few dozen yards off and watch listen and smell before coming in. (lessons learned here too) It's time for visualization and calming of the nerves. Get yourself right mentally.
cohunter

Postby Swede » 04 10, 2018 •  [Post 6]

I agree with what cohunter and the others said. I have done this right a few times. I used to try to locate the bull and hurry him in by returning his call. Big mistake.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby Tigger » 04 11, 2018 •  [Post 7]

Oooooh, you should know my answer.....I unwrap and eat my PB&J sammie! Then I nock an arrow and prepare my mind for the pack out! Don't say a word as I agree with others. He wants the wallow to himself and is asking if anyone is there.
Tigger