Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Workout Regimen

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Workout Regimen

Postby Cbb » 04 09, 2018 •  [Post 1]

After Elk in Montana last September I came home and had a great deer season with family and friends. Winter was rough. I out on about 15lbs.

Been doing quite a bit of shed hunting when weather permits. Also been hitting the weights 2-3 days a week.

My next hikes will include a weighted pack.

5 months out fellas, it'll be here before we know it!
Cbb

Re: Workout Regimen

Postby Grousewit » 04 09, 2018 •  [Post 2]

Did lots of miles with weighted pack on steep PA mtns. Dropped 22#. Thought I was in great shape for CO. Couldn't go up 100yds without stopping!! Wasn't tired or sweating- just couldn't breath!!! Must have been the 7000 ft elevation change.
62 yr old Hunter/Trapper/Shooter
Grousewit

Postby TennMatt » 04 09, 2018 •  [Post 3]

In addition to weights and strength work you all need to be aerobically fit. Run or ride the bike all summer too. Uphill is your friend.

Matt
TennMatt

Postby Navesgane » 04 09, 2018 •  [Post 4]

I live and work 9k' and can tell you that you can work out until youre Arnold status, but if you're not properly hydrated and cardio-fit, the altitude will very much humble you. I have friends that are ultra runners and they have some sleeping aperatus that lowers the O2 level to below what it's already here and swear that their lungs and body adjust to it. I'm not going that far but proper nutrition and hydration do wonders.
Instagram @jeff.reilly1
Navesgane

First Name: Jeff

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 04 09, 2018 •  [Post 5]

Yes sir, this is the time of the year in my part of the world where I can finally start hiking and biking outside. I do the gym thing throughout the soggy winters but get more consistent and serious about my conditioning once the first few nice days arrive. I do my best to hike with weight on my back or ride my MT bike 5 days each week. As odd as it sounds, I have some weights in my office I hit 3-4 times at work each day; just some curls, shoulder presses/shrugs, and some bent over rows really helps me. At my age, I’ve gotta work hard to get in elk hunting shape ;).
WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ

Postby currie » 04 10, 2018 •  [Post 6]

I do crossfit and lift weights, but I also suggest hiking with your pack on and work up to the weight you’ll be carrying for the season this is the only way I’ve found that will break in the hip flexors and have them mountain ready. None of this will help though unless you get accustomed to the altitude, don’t be afraid to spend a day or at gradually higher altitudes If you are a low lander. No amount of training can over come elevation sickness.
currie

Postby CurlyTail » 04 10, 2018 •  [Post 7]

Weight lifting is non-essential but high reps/low weight will tone you up nice and burn some calories. Going into Elk season lean is super helpful - I'm just not very good at it.

I like Spin class, running (cant any more due to injuries, but I would if I could), swimming, and stair climbing.

Hiking hills with a pack is the most similar for sure.

If you have livestock the fitness is not as important. If you are hunting at less that 10,000 feet you can get away with less cardio.

Who wouldn't want to exercise and be fit - you feel so good!
CurlyTail

First Name: Jim
Last Name: B.

Postby Tigger » 04 11, 2018 •  [Post 8]

I have been going to the old folks home where they have a gym that you can use if you are a member of the YMCA and are 45 or over. Not many people there and right by my house. There is a 90+ year old lady on oxygen that I see most mornings there working out. Someday I will keep up with her. :shock:
Tigger

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 04 11, 2018 •  [Post 9]

Tigger wrote:I have been going to the old folks home where they have a gym that you can use if you are a member of the YMCA and are 45 or over. Not many people there and right by my house. There is a 90+ year old lady on oxygen that I see most mornings there working out. Someday I will keep up with her. :shock:

Where is the thumbs up emoticon? Who in the heck runs this damn joint anyway.......... :roll:
WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ

Postby Cbb » 04 11, 2018 •  [Post 10]

I didn't have much trouble with elevation last season. I worried about it quite a bit. I did give myself a couple easy days at 5500-6500 before I went higher. Most of the area I hunted didn't get much above 9000. Even though I didn't struggle in thinner air I will be prepared for this fall.

I use the weights in hopes that I will eventually have to carry out several heavy packs of elk on my back, not building mass. Mix of back, legs and shoulders, sit ups also. My weightlifting is a little different as I try to keep my heart rate by doing supersets of upper and lower body exercises.
Cbb

Postby Joe Schmo » 04 11, 2018 •  [Post 11]

I have a 1988 stair-stepper, that step-ups and running a few days a week is about it.
Joe Schmo

Postby Swede » 04 11, 2018 •  [Post 12]

Three mile hike each day except Sunday. I also cat nap on the sofa. I do that on Sundays too. My wife says it is about time to get serious about my workouts. What would she know? :D
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby Tigger » 04 13, 2018 •  [Post 13]

That #$%@!ing 90 year old lady on oxygen!!!! just as I was matching her pace, she stepped it up and left me in the dust again. Some day I will match that lady.....
Tigger

Postby N2mywake » 04 14, 2018 •  [Post 14]

I reside in KY so I work hard on my lungs. I walk about 7 miles per day with treadmill inclined to 6 (stepping up steeper as season approaches). The elevation still kills me. (after back surgery I don't run much)

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
West Kentucky Boy
N2mywake

Postby Lefty » 04 15, 2018 •  [Post 15]

I just spent a week with a friend who at 66 is still a moutianeeer.
We went through his gear training and food lists..
We covered his 6 month traing.
Basically, get strong first then cardio.
One of his climbing companions from Germany doesn't own a car. That fellows routines are all on a bicycle.
My buddies training is with weights on a stairstepper.

As Nav mentioned at elevation it is about hydration.

He carries an O2 sensor and meds or altitude sickness.now that was an interesting conversation.
Lefty
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Postby N2mywake » 04 15, 2018 •  [Post 16]

Lefty wrote:
He carries an O2 sensor and meds or altitude sickness.now that was an interesting conversation.

I'd love to hear more details about this

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
West Kentucky Boy
N2mywake

Postby Lefty » 04 15, 2018 •  [Post 17]

On some of the higher mts they send people back down , or climb high sleep low for altitude aclimbmation. His Last big climb 21 climbers started and he and 2 others were the only one able to summit and do the last 2000 foot elevation.
One thing I found fascinating. He used commercial for profit outfitters pages for training suggestions.
The med kit consisted f on.
a big bottle of Loritab, something for diarrea, and two meds for elevation.
. He emailed a bunch of stuff so I may have more info at home.
The high elevation altitude meds were only for real life threatening situations. And they were harmful to General health.
I'll be home tonight and will look at what else he sent

He did say benidryl ibeprophun were comm
Lefty
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Postby Joe Schmo » 04 16, 2018 •  [Post 18]

Started an excel sheet today with miles ran, push-ups and stairstepper...30 days till spring bear hunting and 4.5 months until the real hunt...also it never hurts to be less fat.
Joe Schmo

Postby ctcjj1324 » 04 27, 2018 •  [Post 19]

I live in LA (lower Arkansas) and hunt each year around the 9 thousand foot mark (in CO, aint nothing but little hills in my state) I don't believe there is anything that can help someone like me deal with the high altitude or lack of oxygen, except getting acclimated to it slowly. Now having said that I am also a strong believer in cardio and weight training. You may not be able to do anything about the lack of oxygen, but you can build leg strength and upper body strength at home before you make your trip. High altitude is tougher on fat boys (at least I believe) because I was one of them. I lost about 20 lbs and work my tail off each year getting ready for the hunt. Our local high school opens its track and bleachers to the public. DO bleachers guys, really helps. And one more thing, while I'm running off at the mouth, being from a high humidity state the dryness of "out west" used to give me vacation ruining headaches. A good buddy helped me out years ago by having me get Saline nasal Spray.....man oh man, no more headaches. just a little FYI....
ctcjj1324