Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

What did you just say to me – 2018; Episode #2

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

What did you just say to me – 2018; Episode #2

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 04 12, 2018 •  [Post 1]

Disclaimer: I’ll try to be a descriptive as possible with the scenarios but please understand I can’t cover all the variables potentially encountered in each of the presented situations. For these threads, let’s assume everybody knows what the different elk noises sound like (normal cow chatter, excited cow talk, locater bugle, screams, challenges, chuckles, grunts, alarm barks, nervous barks, etc.). Remember, it’s all about sharing knowledge from experience, asking questions, and perhaps, learning a thing or two. Let’s start this first one.

Scenario: It's early/late morning the last week in Elktember; wilderness partner hunt today; archery season; bull only tag. You've worked the wind and closed a 1/4 mile gap on a vocal herd bull (you figure) and what sounds like one peripheral satellite. The elk seem pretty static but from experience, you feel you may only have a short time before they move off the spot and head to bed (if they do in fact decide to move). You don't make a peep till you've closed the gap to less than 100 yards. Once there, you don't have a visual yet but you can now hear the elk more clearly. Social mews from a handful of cows are heard; the big bull seems to be screaming and chuckling once or twice per minute in the general area of the herd; and the satellite bull is answering every other bugle from the herd bull. The satellite seems to be moving back and forth on one side and also above the small herd. OK, you're below the group and the thermals are still steadily moving down into your snout. 1. At this point, what do you think may be going on in the elk woods (sparse fir and pretty tall/thick alder) above you? 2. From the vocalizations you hear, and, the location/movement from the elk.... what do you think you and your partner may do to try and take one of the bull's home for dinner?
WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ

Re: What did you just say to me – 2018; Episode #2

Postby Swede » 04 12, 2018 •  [Post 2]

Get your shooter out in front in a good shooting lane. Move back a few steps and give off a few cow mews. When the herd bull calls, go back to your former position and scream a small bull bugle at him and thrash a small tree of alder bush. Make a few grunts.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby BrowTines » 04 12, 2018 •  [Post 3]

If that doesn't work try the threat and then escilate as necessary.
BrowTines

Postby Heartwood » 04 12, 2018 •  [Post 4]

I really like the conditions of this scenario. If the shooter is ok with taking a satellite bull then I would go to a breeding sequence to pull him in but I would start with just a few cow sounds and only answer the bull that I wanted. Just answering the desired bull with cow sounds may be enough for him to realize that a cow has strayed 100 yards from the herd and is easy and safe to come on over. If the subtle approach didn't get results then I'd work up to a breeding sequence. Now, the herd bull is a different story. If he is screaming and chuckling frequently and the sat. bull is also bugling then there is a cow nearing or in estrus. With the right moves he is very callable. If the herd bull will answer cow calls then the caller could cut him off with a short scream followed by chuckles. A typical threat situation. Now three is the chance that Mr. herd bull is preparing or in the process of moving to bedding and we may not have much time.
Heartwood

First Name: Matt
Last Name: Houle

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 04 13, 2018 •  [Post 5]

Its sounds like there very well be a hot cow in this scenario; ..... do you folks agree?
WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ

Postby sasquatch » 04 14, 2018 •  [Post 6]

yes definitely. However if he's bugling like that every minute or so im just going to sneak on in and shoot him. If I hit a point where there are other elk around and I cant get to him I will either wait till he makes his rounds and ends up in range or im going to cut off one of his screams with a challenge.
Blake
sasquatch