Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

GMU55

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

GMU55

Postby Aldog » 04 14, 2018 •  [Post 1]

I have been hunting OTC units archery backpack for almost10 years now. We have mainly stayed in GMU81 but decided last year to try up around Walden. The fire pushed us out the year before so we wound up in east of Clark on the other side. We wound up driving all the way back to 81 that season. We decided to put in for GMU55 and see what happens this year. We will be coming out for a scouting trip the 3rd weekend of May and then hunting the first 2 weeks of September. Trying to scout from Kansas City is tough. All the north facing, meadows and pocket basins look good on google earth. If a guy was to concentrate on one area what would be a good plan. There is the Crested Butte area, Taylor area, Fossil Ridge Wilderness, BLM land, Pitkin. Heck that unit is so big it is overwhelming. We will be on foot for the most part and backpack in. It seems the unit has a lot of good road access which would lend towards moving easily around if we don't like our plan A or plan B or.... First time asking for some guidance coming out that way. It is hard to come by but am impressed with this forum and the willingness shown to help out fellow hunters and like minded conservationists. Any bones thrown my way very much appreciated.
Aldog

Re: GMU55

Postby SoCo Mark » 04 17, 2018 •  [Post 2]

If you're backpacking in, Fossil Ridge Wilderness would assure you that you would be alone with only other backpackers or those with livestock. I'm not saying you will be alone, but you would not have ATVs or road hunters to deal with, if that matters to you. I know of one outfitter that hunts that wilderness, or used to, I'm not sure if there are more. I've fished in the wilderness and it is beautiful terrain that should have elk, but I can't speak of how many. One thing about Gunnison County is, if there are bike/atv trails there will be people. Most stay on the trails, and by and large are friendly to hunters. Even in the wilderness you will see plenty of hikers. It isn't a deal breaker for me, as I've been into elk in another close by wilderness very close to trails that had very recent hiker activity.
SoCo Mark

First Name: Mark
Last Name: C

Postby Scott69 » 04 19, 2018 •  [Post 3]

message me if you draw.I have a pretty good spot in unit 55 that I've taken elk from in archery.
Scott69

Postby Aldog » 04 19, 2018 •  [Post 4]

SoCo Mark wrote:If you're backpacking in, Fossil Ridge Wilderness would assure you that you would be alone with only other backpackers or those with livestock. I'm not saying you will be alone, but you would not have ATVs or road hunters to deal with, if that matters to you. I know of one outfitter that hunts that wilderness, or used to, I'm not sure if there are more. I've fished in the wilderness and it is beautiful terrain that should have elk, but I can't speak of how many. One thing about Gunnison County is, if there are bike/atv trails there will be people. Most stay on the trails, and by and large are friendly to hunters. Even in the wilderness you will see plenty of hikers. It isn't a deal breaker for me, as I've been into elk in another close by wilderness very close to trails that had very recent hiker activity.

Thank you SoCo Mark. I do not mind sharing our public lands. I have found as you stated that the hikers I we have encountered stick to the trails and do not bother the wildlife. In fact I have had 2 occasions in which they have been helpful in sharing information about where they have seen wildlife. I am less enthusiastic about the road and 2 track system in this unit, one of our concerns. But I think that we still have enough gas in our tanks (human fuel) to get away from the 2 track systems in which those type of people tend to stay pretty close to. And as well the wilderness will give us an opportunity to hike in on foot as well and get away from the trails. I really appreciate the encouragement. Shoot straight and stay true.
Aldog

Postby Aldog » 04 19, 2018 •  [Post 5]

Scott69 wrote:message me if you draw.I have a pretty good spot in unit 55 that I've taken elk from in archery.

I sent you a PM. Thank you Scott69
Aldog

Postby Jfvince1 » 01 24, 2019 •  [Post 6]

Scott69 I'm planning on going archery elk hunting gmu 55 in September 2019. I've been once up above Pitkin back in 2004 2nd rifle season but I want to hunt during bugling season this time. I'm thinking maybe backpacking in to get close to some herds and was looking at Fossil Ridge. Any help would be appreciated.
Jfvince1

Postby saddlesore » 01 25, 2019 •  [Post 7]

I have not hunted 55, but a close friend of mine went to college in Gunnison. After graduating, he stayed down there to live. He cowboyed for a big ranch and worked for an outfitter for several years.

He always hunted Fossil Ridge area and did well
saddlesore
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics