Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Elk urine in a bottle

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Elk urine in a bottle

Postby lilshootergirl » 04 16, 2018 •  [Post 1]

Yes I'm kinda new, and I don't do archery, why do they sell elk pee for? I've seen it on the shelf, but too chicken to ask a clerk!
If you can't find me, I'm not lost. I'm hunting!
lilshootergirl

Re: Elk urine in a bottle

Postby Navesgane » 04 16, 2018 •  [Post 2]

Not sure if it actually has a use. If you're upwind of elk, things likely aren't going to go your way no matter what you're trying to smell like. A human smelling elk-urine covered human is still going to have a human smell.
Instagram @jeff.reilly1
Navesgane

First Name: Jeff

Postby Elkhntr08 » 04 17, 2018 •  [Post 3]

Because the companies make a fortune selling urine to hunters they’ve convinced that they can outsmart a elk or deer nose. Most of that junk is cow urine with a few drops of elk or deer pee. Think about the millions of bottles of doe in heat that WalMart sells. Would take one big deer herd. Respect the wind.
Elkhntr08

Postby Swede » 04 17, 2018 •  [Post 4]

Elk urine is used as an attractant. The common way to use it is near a stand. Soak a clean, scent free rag with some urine and hang it on a bush or .... Climb into your tree stand or get in a pop up blind and wait. If you are a mobile hunter, I think it is pretty much a waste of money. If you are at a good location where elk show up on their own, it might back fire on you. I don't use the stuff, but would hang a urine rag from below my stand and wait on a ridge or hillside if the situation was just right.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby Lefty » 04 17, 2018 •  [Post 5]

All of the above :shock:
Lefty
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Postby Swede » 04 17, 2018 •  [Post 6]

Lefty, just tell us how they get the elk to pee in those little bottles.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby Elkhunttoo » 04 17, 2018 •  [Post 7]

I would never pay full price for the stuff. But I have bought a few bottles when it is on sale. I think the most I have ever paid is $1.50 and only bought 3 or 4 bottles. My idea was to use it at waterholes while sitting but when I have actually used it was on set ups that nothing came in on I sprayed some on the branches before I walked away in case elk came in after I was gone they would smell an elk where one should of been and then MAYBE NEXT TIME they will come in a little quicker when they hear my sweet sounds 8-) ... wishful thinking I know... but I had the stuff and couldn't think of what else to use it for
Elkhunttoo

Postby Beendare » 04 19, 2018 •  [Post 8]

A buddy of mine ...a guide in Az and NM told me many years ago he had a crazy thing happen. He was calling for a guy in archery season in U15A in NM.... they were in thick brush and had a big bull coming in close....and the wind switched...blowing right at their backs toward the bull. My buddy thought, nuthin to lose so he whips out a spray bottle of cow in heat and starts spraying it like crazy.

10 seconds later he said that bull charges in and leaps right over him and the hunter kneeling behind a log before they could do a thing.
“It takes no more time to see the good side of life.... than to see the bad.”
― Jimmy Buffett

"Everybody has a plan....until they get punched in the mouth" Mike Tyson

"
Beendare
Wapiti Hunting Archery Gear/Tactics

Postby Scott69 » 04 28, 2018 •  [Post 9]

I'm the odd man out, but I keep my elk hunting clothes in a covered tote with elk urine scented wafers inside.I only do it with bowhunting clothes.I feel if the wind swirls,it may just give me that extra second of confusion to send an arrow thru him.I'm using it as a cover scent basically.I don't think it attracts them in any way.I get pretty close most seasons.Don't get me wrong,I ALWAYS use the wind,but if my clothes are to smell like anything, it might as well be an elk.This includes my gloves,headnet,boots.I figure it can't hurt and if it helps then I'm winning the game
Scott69

Postby Lefty » 04 29, 2018 •  [Post 10]

Swede wrote:Lefty, just tell us how they get the elk to pee in those little bottles.

I'm not sure on elk. But fox and coyotes are a bit tricky to train too.
Lefty
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Postby bracer40 » 04 30, 2018 •  [Post 11]

Years ago I discovered an old bottle of elk urine I had bought when I first started elk hunting about 25 years ago. I “discovered it” with my nose. A rat had gotten into the attic. Originally I thought the nasty stink in the space was from rat urine/droppings. Then I discovered the chewed up container of elk urine. Pretty much ruined the items it spilled on when the rat chewed it open.
Come to think of it, maybe it would make a good rat attractant for the traps!
bracer40

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 05 01, 2018 •  [Post 12]

Came across a spot in WA quite a few years ago where the elk scent was “strong”. Followed my snout to the source and found where somebody has doused a tree with whizz. Never did figure out what that hunters plan/method was for stinking up that tree. When I was a young whipper snapper, I took great sport in putting one tiny drop on my buddies pack :). He would swear all day he was smelling elk. Really a dumb trick but was comical at the time.
WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ