Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Roosiebull's 2018 Elk Hunt

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Roosiebull's 2018 Elk Hunt

Postby Swede » 04 23, 2018 •  [Post 1]

Roosie is obviously a good hunter, but I am wondering about his 2018 hunt plan. He has got ambush, and spot and stalk elk hunting figured out very well, but he is going to add calling to his bag of tricks. Will this new style aid or deter from his opportunities to get the spike or raghorn he wants? Is he going back on the learning curve, or just reloading?
What do you think? :D
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Re: Roosiebull's 2018 Elk Hunt

Postby Roosiebull » 04 23, 2018 •  [Post 2]

Take it easy on me :lol:

Going back in time isn't all bad. I may have the most odd plan for 2018, but it's a good year to have an odd plan.

There is one pretty big flaw in my plan though, I don't see myself passing a big one given the opportunity. It's a win win as long as I can get within bow range of a bull. The most local elk herds by my place is loaded with spikes, and this year should be a good number of rag bulls.

If I can keep myself out of the big mature timber on NF land, I should not see a big bull.

I do have a big one found, and plan on trail camming him all summer, and hope I don't grow desire to hunt him.

My family is incredibly supportive of my hunting addiction, I would like to provide a nice tender young bull this year.

My daughter does some complaining about tough steaks some times
Roosiebull

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 04 23, 2018 •  [Post 3]

I'll believe it when I see it (spike, raghorn... bah!). I envision Roosie being interrupted on an initial stalk on a smaller, perhaps better eating bull, by a rebel yell from big stinky! Upon hearing that distinctive ARRRRGHHHHH, I'M THE KING OF THIS HERE RAINFOREST from said big stinky, fast forward a few frames, and now I see Mike swatting away the lesser bull with a handful of ferns and on to put a hunt on that big snot nosed, mud caked, red eyed beast that he heard holler in his general direction :D
WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ

Postby CurlyTail » 04 23, 2018 •  [Post 4]

I think those tender tasty Spikes and Raghorns are especially susceptible to calling. Calling herd bulls is more challenging. I have heard that Roosies are especially territorial and susceptible to bugling but this is heresay as I have never hunted those Elk.

It is always good to have more tricks in the bag. If you are going to call, develop proficiency or keep the call in your pocket for another year.
CurlyTail

First Name: Jim
Last Name: B.