Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Bugle tube access

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Bugle tube access

Postby Navesgane » 04 25, 2018 •  [Post 1]

How do you all secure your bugle tube while hunting? Do you keep it in your pack, or in a side pouch or maybe shoulder sling for easy access? I have a side pouch on my larger bag that it fit nicely into and can reach around and grab it easily but am looking for ideas on ways to keep it from dangling around when I either drop my pack or use a smaller day pack.
Instagram @jeff.reilly1
Navesgane

First Name: Jeff

Re: Bugle tube access

Postby CurlyTail » 04 25, 2018 •  [Post 2]

I put my Bugle in the side scope sleeve of my Exo Mtn. pack when I am hiking but not hunting. When hunting, I have it strung around my neck like a sling. It does get in the way a bit, but only one of many minor annoyances you put up with while hunting elk. I get tired of carrying my bow all day also, but I just do it anyway.
CurlyTail

First Name: Jim
Last Name: B.

Postby Tigger » 04 25, 2018 •  [Post 3]

I sling it over my neck and under my left arm so that the tube actually rides behind my left arm in a vertical position. Usually, I have to take the cord and hook it on my pack strap so it stays in place. That works awesome as it is super easy to get to yet completely out of my way.
Tigger

Postby lamrith » 04 25, 2018 •  [Post 4]

I have one of the Elknut chucklers with factory string on it. String goes over shoulder/on left side and tube sits on my right side tucked against my pack. that keeps it up against me and not floping around going thru brush, but still immediately at hand without having to remove pack etc.
'15 Elite E35. 30.5", 67#
100Gr. G5 montecs
Sportsman's Vital Impact 300spine

http://www.pelletpeddler.com
lamrith

First Name: Larry

Postby Lefty » 04 26, 2018 •  [Post 5]

Mort often I carry a Primos "Pack bugle" I don't think its made any more. Small

Sometimes stuffed in my pack others times, poked under my pack shoulder strap or in hand, I took the lanyard off, too much stuff to catch on brush
Lefty
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 04 26, 2018 •  [Post 6]

lamrith wrote:I have one of the Elknut chucklers with factory string on it. String goes over shoulder/on left side and tube sits on my right side tucked against my pack. that keeps it up against me and not floping around going thru brush, but still immediately at hand without having to remove pack etc.

What he said ;)
WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ

Postby Lsb » 05 05, 2018 •  [Post 7]

I'm nearly always the caller so it's in my hand 99% of the time. Occasionally I'll sling it under my left arm like Tigger described
Lsb

Postby Heartwood » 05 06, 2018 •  [Post 8]

String on bugle gets slung over neck onto left shoulder with bugle under right arm with mouth piece end of bugle facing toward ground. Skinny end of tube then gets tucked under the bottom end of shoulder strap of pack. Tube rides secure here and is easy to get to. I probably remove and replace the bugle from this position maybe 50+ times in a day while hunting.
We haven't found a better way yet.
Heartwood

First Name: Matt
Last Name: Houle

Postby Game Planner Maps » 05 08, 2018 •  [Post 9]

I made my tube out of one of those really thick walled fat barrel wiffle ball bats. I just punched a small hole in the handle and on the barrel ends of the bat and threaded a length of para cord through each hole and knotted each end of the cord so it would not pull through the hole. Then added a little gorrilla glue where the knot and hole come together. I can sling it over my shoulder or just secure it in the side of my pack. The holes did not effect the sound. In fact, its the best sounding tube I've ever heard.
The Ultimate Map Resource for the DIY Public Land Hunter
www.GAMEPLANNERMAPS.com
Whats Your Game Plan?
Game Planner Maps
Game Planner Maps