Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Wallows

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Wallows

Postby Elkhunttoo » 04 27, 2018 •  [Post 1]

What is your strategy when you find a new active wallow?
Elkhunttoo

Re: Wallows

Postby Swede » 04 27, 2018 •  [Post 2]

I look it over. I check the trails around to see if there is one that is being used regularly. I look for a line of fresh rubs. That is an indicator that there is one bull hanging out in the area and coming into the wallow/waterhole on a regular basis. It is good to see fresh elk poop in the area and maybe a good bedding site nearby.
If these signs are not there, I don't get excited and will likely move on if there is anything better in the area.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby Roosiebull » 04 27, 2018 •  [Post 3]

I take note of it, and go from there. I have never sat over one, but I think roosies are less predictable with wallows, there is water everywhere, and I have never found a wallow that was getting hammered, I see lots of wallows, but none that are used that often.
Roosiebull

Postby Swede » 04 27, 2018 •  [Post 4]

Most wallows (98% :D ) are a part of a waterhole. For Rocky Mountain elk some are getting regular use. I am fond of those in the drier areas and places where a lone bull is hanging out. I have killed the lone bull at these places, and use completely stops immediately. I think drier areas concentrate use and that certainly helps. Who wants to sit on a wallow in a 100 acre area with 100 waterholes/wallows available? It would have to be a very unique situation to get me to wait there.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby saddlesore » 04 27, 2018 •  [Post 5]

I don't pay much attention to them.I hunt ML in early Sept.I figure the elk might be there 15-20 minutes out of 24 hours and not every day. I"d rather go find them and have been more than successful at it.
saddlesore
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics