Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Hunting Camp & Backcountry Meals

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Hunting Camp & Backcountry Meals

Postby elkaholicid » 05 02, 2018 •  [Post 1]

Happy First of May to all,

We are getting ever so closer to the time of year we all cherish. I was doing some research the other night on meal options for camp and the backcountry and I stumbled upon an option that I had not seen nor heard about. If you don't want to run out and get a dehydrator, nor take the time to do this. Here is the website that has 6 Instant Meals ON the Go Recipes that you make at home before heading to camp. Once there, simply add boiling water. Here is the website: https://www.theyummylife.com/Instant_Meals_On_The_Go
elkaholicid
Site Sponsor

Re: Hunting Camp & Backcountry Meals

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 05 02, 2018 •  [Post 2]

Very interesting........
WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ

Postby >>>---WW----> » 05 03, 2018 •  [Post 3]

Good post. Eating out of those plastic freezer bags is a great idea as well. No clean up or dishes to wash.
>>>---WW---->
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

Postby Heartwood » 05 03, 2018 •  [Post 4]

My neighbor has a commercial freeze dry machine, I think I will workout a trade for some freeze dry service. It appears that only the ingredients that need to be freeze dried like meat and veggies, are actually dried. The rest can be hydrated as usual, like certain types of rice and pasta. I wonder if it would be better to cook the entire meal and then freeze dry that as a whole, then vacuum pack it?
Heartwood

First Name: Matt
Last Name: Houle

Postby elkaholicid » 05 04, 2018 •  [Post 5]

Good Question Heartwood. I am getting ready to start a video series on my YouTube Channel and Facebook page where I talk about options for BackCountry and Camp Meal Prep. For me, it comes down to controlling the taste with the use of spices and seasonings while maintaining lightweight. I have some good sources that won't break the bank and people might be surprised how cost effective it can be.
elkaholicid
Site Sponsor

Postby Lefty » 05 04, 2018 •  [Post 6]

All the recipes looked great!!

Unfortunate for me they are all too many carbs :|

I dont cook in camp or the back country except fish. I have been at hunt camps where culinary experts cooked good or better than at nice restaurants.
Warm it up or add hot water.
Lefty
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H