Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Hunting the Full Moon

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Hunting the Full Moon

Postby Mathewsz7-elkridge » 05 03, 2018 •  [Post 1]

September 24th is the full moon. Normally that date would fall right in the middle of my trip.

How much is this full moon going to effect my elk hunt and the rutting activity? Should I move my trip back and hunt from say the 24th on. I'm looking at hunting at least 10 days, may hunt 14. Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance!
Mathewsz7-elkridge

Re: Hunting the Full Moon

Postby >>>---WW----> » 05 03, 2018 •  [Post 2]

Unlike whitetail deer, as far as I have noticed, the moon has little affect on elk. Hot temperatures seem to have more affect on them. On warm days, as soon as the sun pops over the mountain, they head for the shade of the cool timber. Sept. 24 should put you in the prime rut period. Elk season is short. Hunt every day you can!
>>>---WW---->
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

Postby Wyo67 » 05 03, 2018 •  [Post 3]

By the 24th, I think most of the herd bulls will be established and could be difficult to call or pull them away from their cows. Combined with hunting pressure and additional moonlight, it is very possible that the elk will become more nocturnal and their typical dawn/dusk active periods may decrease. However, there are several other factors that can impact your hunt; warm weather, cloud cover, storm fronts moving through etc... A couple recommendations are to get out early well before sunrise and try to hear any bugling at night to get an idea as to where they are and stay on the mountain through out the day. If you know where they are bedding, slip in close and see if the bulls get up during the day to stretch, check cows, water... Good luck.
Wyo67

Postby Swede » 05 03, 2018 •  [Post 4]

My observation is the same as WW's. Weather and the rut have an effect, but moon phase has none. I have killed as many elk on or near the full moon as close to the new moon. The activity is the same.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby saddlesore » 05 03, 2018 •  [Post 5]

I don't pay much attention to it.When I want to go hunting,I go. A person can sit home and stew about it,or go out and enjoy the outdoors.Elk don't read all this stuff and could care less.hunting pressure affects what elk are dong a lot more than anything else
saddlesore
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

Postby CurlyTail » 05 03, 2018 •  [Post 6]

I do think night time feeding and rutting activity is more active during a full moon. The Elk may head to the bedding areas slightly earlier than "usual" after being active all night. Of course, if you happen to have cloud cover that night there will be no effect at all. I personally like to hunt them in their bedding areas so going to bed early is not really a problem for me. If they are bedded at 9am, they get restless about 2pm and can be quite susceptible to calling mid day.

I would just hunt and not worry about it. If you shoot a Bull in the evening, you will love having a full moon for the processing and pack out. So it is not all negative.
CurlyTail

First Name: Jim
Last Name: B.

Postby Mathewsz7-elkridge » 05 03, 2018 •  [Post 7]

CurlyTail wrote:I would just hunt and not worry about it. If you shoot a Bull in the evening, you will love having a full moon for the processing and pack out. So it is not all negative.

Thats definitely one thing to look forward to!
Mathewsz7-elkridge

Postby Roosiebull » 05 03, 2018 •  [Post 8]

CurlyTail wrote:I do think night time feeding and rutting activity is more active during a full moon. The Elk may head to the bedding areas slightly earlier than "usual" after being active all night. Of course, if you happen to have cloud cover that night there will be no effect at all. I personally like to hunt them in their bedding areas so going to bed early is not really a problem for me. If they are bedded at 9am, they get restless about 2pm and can be quite susceptible to calling mid day.

I would just hunt and not worry about it. If you shoot a Bull in the evening, you will love having a full moon for the processing and pack out. So it is not all negative.

I have noticed much of the same with full moon, bed earlier, but also come out feeding earlier in the evening if the weather is a somewhat constant.

I do think it has enough effect to notice, but not enough to hunt or not hunt.... no need to plan around it. If you know where they are, it can work in your advantage like many other things.

Another thing to consider, if you don't want to mess with hunting a full moon, fill your tag before that, that is my master plan :D
Roosiebull

Postby ElkNut1 » 05 04, 2018 •  [Post 9]

Full moon outside of Rutting/Breeding times is no different than hunting them in January. The key is Full Moon & Rutting/Breeding times colliding!!!! This is the game changer! It's by far the most exciting time to locate & put elk down!

ElkNut/Paul
ElkNut1
ElkNut/Paul