Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Gun or Bow?

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Gun or Bow?

Postby Cbb » 05 13, 2018 •  [Post 1]

Okay fellas. I am tore on which season to hunt in MT this year. Since I didnt draw my 270-45 permit I only have the General Combo. I will be doing most of my elk hunting in a pressured area of NF in SW area of the state. The deer is just a secondary option, if I get a crack at a buck I will take it.

Last season having never elk hunted I did call in a cow and miss with my bow. Just not sure if I should take the bow again or gain a little range and take the 280. All factors considered weather, pressure etc..
What should I take bow or gun?
Cbb

Re: Gun or Bow?

Postby Swede » 05 13, 2018 •  [Post 2]

Most hunters are too impatient and in too big of a hurry to effectively bow hunt. You can be aggressive and cover ground, but you need to know how to set up and when to show restraint. If you are one to think waiting is boring and a waste of time, go with a gun.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby Lsb » 05 13, 2018 •  [Post 3]

That general tag is good for both seasons. Get out there with the bow during archery season. If you don't connect grab the rifle during rifle season. Depending on where you are coming from, guessing nonresident? First year out you called in a cow, sounds like you're off to a good start. The only way to get better at hunting elk with a bow is to hunt elk with a bow.

Only you can decide if you just want to kill an elk or if you want to kill an elk with a bow.
Lsb

Postby Lefty » 05 13, 2018 •  [Post 4]

Continuing with Swede direction What is important for you and your hunt? What weapon fits the bill?

I have friends that only hunt because of their dogs. Others will only hunt big game from a horse.
When I first started hunting the west it was all rifle hunting, I couldn't draw my re-curve I shot as a 13 year-old , I don't think I can still draw that bow :o
A buddies family bought hunting land in Wisconsin, they only use a crossbows.
Another acquaintance only hunts late season whitetails with a bow,.. so he can waterfowl hunt and trap on the landowners property.
I enjoy being outdoors, more important the the kill. Archery generally offers warm weather, extend season hunts.

My youngest daughter drew a moose tag years back, it was only a rifle hunt. 12 days in the woods!
I drew a bull moose tag and hunted hard with a bow. I passed on a number of easy under 35" bulls. With only a few days left of a 80 day season I switched to a rifle to kill my moose.
Middle daughter only wanted to archery her moose, and did ( but I always had the rifle handy.)
If the area is open to both why not take and use both weapons.
When I first moved to Idaho
SW Montana is a great place !!
Lefty
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Postby Indian Summer » 05 14, 2018 •  [Post 5]

How can you not draw the 270-45 permit? It’s unlimited. You must have made a mistake. Was it your first choice?
Indian Summer
Wapiti Hunting Consultant

First Name: Joe
Last Name: Ferraro

Postby Cbb » 05 14, 2018 •  [Post 6]

I didnt get drawn for my general combo in the first round. I was drawn in the second round. All permits are drawn in the 1st round so when I got my general combo in round 2 permit drawing was closed. Kinda sucks but I still have a tag I can shoot a bull or a cow with.

I prefer archery over gun hunting. Calling that first cow in was a huge win last season. I was just thinking with a gun my odds of packing meat home to PA would go up a little. I also worry about the weather. I had 10 inches of snow to deal with last year for a couple days. Didnt bother me too much. But with the gun season being a month after archery I figure the odds of bad weather go way up.
Cbb

Postby Lsb » 05 14, 2018 •  [Post 7]

Last year wasn't typical. We got 14 inches of snow on Sept 15, pushed the elk I typically hunt unit gun season out. I've never had much luck in rifle season but if I can't call them I lose interest really fast.
Lsb

Postby Lefty » 05 15, 2018 •  [Post 8]

Lsb wrote:Last year wasn't typical. We got 14 inches of snow on Sept 15, pushed the elk I typically hunt unit gun season out. I've never had much luck in rifle season but if I can't call them I lose interest really fast.

I loved hunting the snow last year. We hikes as fast a we could and slowed down and called as soon as we cut tracks.
The melting snow was a real pain,.. pouring dripping snow everywhere ,.. but it did quiet the woods!
Lefty

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Postby Lsb » 05 15, 2018 •  [Post 9]

Lefty wrote:
Lsb wrote:Last year wasn't typical. We got 14 inches of snow on Sept 15, pushed the elk I typically hunt unit gun season out. I've never had much luck in rifle season but if I can't call them I lose interest really fast.

I loved hunting the snow last year. We hikes as fast a we could and slowed down and called as soon as we cut tracks.
The melting snow was a real pain,.. pouring dripping snow everywhere ,.. but it did quiet the woods!

It did quiet things down but I couldn't even cut tracks. Everything headed down where we were.
Lsb

Postby Brendan » 05 16, 2018 •  [Post 10]

Lsb wrote:
Lefty wrote:

It did quiet things down but I couldn't even cut tracks. Everything headed down where we were.
Really made things tough for us too. Conditions were so bad in the mountains at the end of our hunt we threw in the towel on Elk and went river bottom whitetail hunting. At least the cooler came home with something in it.
Brendan

First Name: Brendan

Postby saddlesore » 05 16, 2018 •  [Post 11]

Swede wrote:Most hunters are too impatient and in too big of a hurry to effectively bow hunt. You can be aggressive and cover ground, but you need to know how to set up and when to show restraint. If you are one to think waiting is boring and a waste of time, go with a gun.

That is a pretty broad brush there Swede. I'd venture to say I have killed most of my elk within arrow range,and that is more than a few.Certainly more than most archers have killed in their hunting career. I use both muzzle loaders and center fire rifles. Learning to stalk within few yards with out the elk even knowing you are around, many times in their beds, takes lot more patience, knowledge, and experience than setting up and a calling an elk to the hunter.
saddlesore

Postby Lsb » 05 16, 2018 •  [Post 12]

Brendan wrote:
Lsb wrote:
Lefty wrote:

Really made things tough for us too. Conditions were so bad in the mountains at the end of our hunt we threw in the towel on Elk and went river bottom whitetail hunting. At least the cooler came home with something in it.

The wife had a mountain goat tag so we went up. She got an 8 3/4" Billy at 10,000'
Lsb

Postby Swede » 05 16, 2018 •  [Post 13]

saddlesore wrote:Learning to stalk within few yards with out the elk even knowing you are around, many times in their beds, takes lot more patience, knowledge, and experience than setting up and a calling an elk to the hunter.

I think we are in complete agreement Saddlesore. I know my statement above was a very broad brush assessment, but it has been my general observation. It has been my observation that hunters can learn to be patient. They just need to be shown how effective it is. Around our camp the only question is who will sit where on opening day. Last season we had three elk down for five hunters within three days. It should have been four down, but I missed. :oops:
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics