Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

9/21/17

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

9/21/17

Postby Elkhunttoo » 05 22, 2018 •  [Post 1]

I left work around 10 am and started the drive to the trail head. I was headed to a place I had never been before but my cousin used to hunt the area so with pointers from him and a google earth search the night before I felt really good about my plan. Parked the pickup and jumped on my dirt bike for the first 3 miles. I parked the bike and started hiking up a closed trail that cuts off of the main trail around noon. The weather was perfect, a slow soft rain that felt great to hike in. Biggest problem was that there was fresh horse tracks in the trail. I was planning on going up this trail for 3 miles. Just before my 3 miles mark I can see the horses and 3 guys setting up a camp. I walked up to them and talked for a few minutes. I asked them there evening plans and they were going to head up the right side of the canyon (right where I was planning and my cousin had told me to go) so I told them I would go up the canyon a ways farther and then climb up the left side and work down that ridge. A little disappointed in the change of plans I started walking again. While climbing up the ridge I started to get into elk sign from that morning which helped me feel a little better. Just before I got to the top I heard a bugle on the right side right where the other hunters told me they were going. It was the other guys so I figured I would be to the top (I had went up the canyon a ways and then angled while climbing back so I was almost straight above where there camp was) in about 2 minutes and I would bugle so that the hunters knew I went where I told them I would. I got to the top and picked a decent place to bugle and then let out a little sweet music ;) . I was answered immediately, I liked my position and the bugle was only 250 ish yards away down the mountain and slightly down canyon from me. What is going through my mind, "had to of been a bull" "sound was to real for a human but there camp is straight below me???" "only about 600 yards below me" "they have been there for a few hours setting up camp and gathering fire wood and making all kinds of noise" "maybe one of them came up this side and, no way, the response was immediate".....with all of the thoughts that come along I decided to wait for a minute and then gave another bugle. No response. I'm sitting right in front of a big pine that has branches to the ground and breaks me up really good, I have a lane where I can see down about 150 yards and within about a minute from my second bugle I see a bull walk right into the lane. He walks into the edge of the trees on the left side and slowly starts making his way up towards me. He comes out into the lane at about 100 yards and I immediately tell myself "not a shooter" I really want to get a 280+ class bull with my bow and this bull isn't it. The rain turns to a soft snow with no thought on shooting I sit back and am thoroughly enjoying the moment and wishing my wife was with me. The bull keeps working slowly towards me, he gets to about 50 yards and I start thinking about how much time is left in the hunt. I only have 4 more afternoons to hunt and my wife can go on all of those. The bull turns and is going to be broad side in moments and I decide, we really do need the meat and my wife still has a tag I need to help her fill...the bull drops his head behind a sage for a bite of grass. I had forgotten my range finder but as soon as I saw the elk I looked at the sage he was by a thought "25" . He caught just a bit of movement as I came to full draw. I was super relaxed because I had had no intention on shooting this bull until seconds before I was at full draw. this movement was the first time the bull had even looked my way. Here I was, picture perfect moment, light snow, no wind, bull broad side...."TWANG" I swear my bow broke the silence like a cannon had gone off. My arrow looked to be in slow motion and the bull was like lightning. He dropped and started to spin and I'm thinking (arrow still in the air) I'm still fine. I watch my arrow disappear over the sage and it is at that time that I realized one of my many mistakes. Although the sage was right around 27 yards (stepped off) the bull was about 5-6 yards behind that and because I had relaxed and not focused in i shot for 25 when he was 32-33... not the end of the world but that combined with his Russel Westbrook ability to spin I was in trouble. I stopped him at about 70 yards and he stood for about a minute. I looked him over super good and couldn't see a mark anywhere on his body. He walked into some trees and I moved to where I could see him again. I looked him over for another minute or two at 80 yards and nothing. I watched him walk off confused. With the spin I'm almost sure I hit front leg...about six drops of blood at the first place he stopped and then not another drop. Just to be sure I gave him some time and the followed him for over half a mile and never another drop of blood, he just walked the whole time.... hunted the area with my wife the next two afternoons and retraced everything the next day invade I had missed something... I guess that will teach me a few things
Elkhunttoo

Re: 9/21/17

Postby Swede » 05 22, 2018 •  [Post 2]

Nice story Elkhunttoo. Not all great experiences fill the freezer. That is what makes elk hunting so exciting.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 05 22, 2018 •  [Post 3]

Thanks for sharing your hunt with us. I really needed that this evening as my between season elk hunting shakes are bad this week ;). I like how you thought about wishing your hunting partner coulda been with you to share such a great time in the elk woods when the bull was coming in. Thumbs up.
WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ

Postby Lefty » 05 23, 2018 •  [Post 4]

Thanks for the story!!
Lefty
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Postby Deanmac » 05 24, 2018 •  [Post 5]

I enjoyed the read
Deanmac

Postby BullRun » 05 31, 2018 •  [Post 6]

Thanks for sharing! Great detailed story...and I'm glad you shared your miss with us.

Hope you fill your freezer this year :D
BullRun