Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

i didnt expect to be so excited about 2018 ELK.

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

i didnt expect to be so excited about 2018 ELK.

Postby pointysticks » 05 22, 2018 •  [Post 1]

i got lots of suggestions to put in for NM solo, and for my younger brother to do the same. we brother-swore to go with each other if we drew. if we drew opposite hunts we would cross that bridge if it happened.

on draw day, i checked early and found out i was unsuccessful. no surprise there..on par with life.

i started texting my brother to check. radio silence. halfway thru the day, he text me to say, "hey, NM draw results are up!" no kidding!! i've been climbing the walls.

he came back with..I got unit 51, early season!" he had initial guilt that he drew and i didnt. i told him to get over it. i was stoked beyond belief!! we are hunting elk in NM!! i have been practicing calling daily in my truck. i think i am getting it down to a very respectable cow call. a friend said, "hey, you should get a bear tag".

i am not sure if i will at this point..i do know Grouse opens as well. i was relishing the idea of hiking around without a bow..albeit that bear tag is mighty tempting..and judo points for grouse.
i am so surprised i am so excited. i am bugging my brother daily about him practicing his bow, getting it tuned checked, etc.

a bear tag. my wife has an unnatural fondness to bears. it might not be worth me buying a tag to upset her so. all other animals that i want to chase are fair..letting a bear pass is a small defeat for love. i suppose.

SEPT cannot get here fast enough. my supervisor know i am going, denying my vacation is not an option.
pointysticks

First Name: cliff
Last Name: l

Re: i didnt expect to be so excited about 2018 ELK.

Postby Lsb » 05 22, 2018 •  [Post 2]

Congrats man. Sounds like you guys will have fun
Lsb

Postby Swede » 05 22, 2018 •  [Post 3]

Go chase elk with your brother and use the money you save on a license and tag to buy half a beef. You should have a great hunt and fill your freezer too.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 05 22, 2018 •  [Post 4]

You’re a good brother and hunting partner Cliff. Heck, I enjoy being the caller as much as being the shooter in good areas! Work on four, maybe five elk sounds till your lips turn blue between now and the hunt and you guys will be fine! Anxious to hear about your NM adventure.
WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ

Postby Elkhunttoo » 05 23, 2018 •  [Post 5]

good luck!! Sounds like you will have a great trip!
Elkhunttoo

Postby Deanmac » 05 24, 2018 •  [Post 6]

Congrats, looking forward to your hunt story
Deanmac