Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

What Should You Do 2018; Scenario #4

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 05 29, 2018 •  [Post 1]

Date: Late SEPT
Time: Mid-Morning
State: An elk state
Season: Smoke Pole
Tag: Bull only; 3 PT or better
Partner Hunt (you’re in the middle of your 10 day hunt) Hunting Pressure: It seems there is more pressure/hunters in this area than in previous years.

The elk have been pretty quiet on your hunt with only occasional answers/unsolicited bugles being heard after dark and very, very early in the morning when the small herds of elk in this area are moving off of feed to bed. Right before daylight, you throw out a locator bugle and hear one ringing answer way across the wide draw (this larger draw consists of several smaller draws that funnel up/down from known feeding areas to bedding areas). You and your buddy move towards where you thought the bugle may have been, working across a series of smaller draws to where you stand now. You’re about 200 yards away from where the elk stand now and from your position, you can see a glimpse of antlers and at least a few cows moving slowly from left to right, uphill, on a relatively flat spot, up through one of those smaller draws. You’re about on the same elevation as the elk and are across one last brushy/rocky draw from them. After the bull responded to you earlier, you have not heard another peep from an elk. Now, with what you’ve experienced on your hunt thus far (the elk have been pretty quiet, and, the bull that answered you earlier just locate bugled you back), what is your game plan to try and take this bull home for dinner?

Elk in rocky draw.jpg
Elk in rocky draw.jpg (156.46 KiB) Viewed 2007 times
WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ

Re: What Should You Do 2018; Scenario #4

Postby Swede » 05 29, 2018 •  [Post 2]

If I have a good rest, like a rock I'm hiding behind, I'm shootin now. Here are my assumptions. Generally I sight my guns in for 200 yards. With a 50 cal. shooting 340 gr bullets the velocity will be over 1400 ft/sec and the energy will still be nearly 1,600 ft#.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 05 29, 2018 •  [Post 3]

Swede wrote:If I have a good rest, like a rock I'm hiding behind, I'm shootin now. Here are my assumptions. Generally I sight my guns in for 200 yards. With a 50 cal. shooting 340 gr bullets the velocity will be over 1400 ft/sec and the energy will still be nearly 1,600 ft#.

Cripes! I honestly had no idea modern ML's shot that far :shock:. OK, for the sake of this scenario, let's go with there is no clear shot from current position (you're only seeing glimpses of the elk through the vegetation).... you'll have to gain at least 100 yards in the terrain/vegetation to possibly get a shot.
WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ

Postby Swede » 05 29, 2018 •  [Post 4]

What a kill joy. I was just getting my knife out after taking some handsome pictures and my elk vanished into thin air.

I don't like the looks of those three critters looking my way. Something tells me they are up to no good. I will wait until they move or look away. I don't like calling when I can see them. If I can see them this plainly, they can see my location. If I have cover and can back out, I will try to move in ahead of them. I will still be quiet if they continue feeding along.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby Elkhunttoo » 05 29, 2018 •  [Post 5]

Nice bull, I'm all in!!! The two cows look alert as if they caught some movement... I'm holding still until I have the opportunity to move. Most likely try and parallel them while making up as many yards as I can to present a shot opportunity.
Elkhunttoo

Postby Elkduds » 05 30, 2018 •  [Post 6]

I want to be no more than 125 yds for my open-sight full bore bullet 50 cal ML, 100 or less is better. Buddy and I are splitting up. One goes same direction as elk are walking, angling toward them. But first, the other goes to the left, to stalk in from downwind or even on the bull side of the herd. Both use cow talk to cover movement, once the downwind guy is in position. If the downwind guy gets within 100ish of bull, he can use cowtalk or nervous grunt to turn bull broadside, the shot I want w ML. If the setup favors the guy in front, same deal. If they wind the front guy and blow out, they may come downwind right over the guy in back. Of course we will avoid shooting @ each other.
Elkduds

First Name: Mark
Last Name: Scott

Postby Rojo_Grande » 05 31, 2018 •  [Post 7]

Would like to be inside 100 yds with iron sights. I like Elkdud's plan but I'm usually solo. The updated scenario includes some bush and cover, so I'd likely opt to swing to the down wind side and stalk in/follow from there.

Rojo
Rojo_Grande

First Name: Mark
Last Name: Ellis

Postby Lefty » 05 31, 2018 •  [Post 8]

Rojo_Grande wrote:Would like to be inside 100 yds with iron sights. I like Elkdud's plan but I'm usually solo. The updated scenario includes some bush and cover, so I'd likely opt to swing to the down wind side and stalk in/follow from there. Rojo

the best cover would be key!

It appears maybe they are moving slowly to the right in the pic. Im moving to the right then in
Im making a wayne Grestky move"
"Sneak to where the elk is going, not where they has been.”
Lefty
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H