Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Spike Camp

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Spike Camp

Postby Old school » 05 30, 2018 •  [Post 1]

On our annual elk trip my boys and I setup camp at the truck and hunt from there daily. Sometimes we drive from camp and other times we just walk within walking distance of camp till we find elk. This past year we found elk about 3 miles from camp. It would have been nice to be able to pitch a simple tent and save 6 miles of round trip walking each day. So here’s my question - do any of you all hunt like this. I’m thinking of packing a simple tent and then if we find elk more than 2 miles from base camp we could just setup a spike tent and hunt for a couple days from there.

Any advice you all have would be appreciated.

-Mitch
Old school

Re: Spike Camp

Postby Swede » 05 30, 2018 •  [Post 2]

I have done that. It is ok, but I prefer the convenience and comfort of hunting from a good base camp. The spike camp cuts down your hiking distance in and out, but you also eat freeze dried stuff and granola or similar. Having an additional camp means setting up twice and moving. There is a place for a spike camp, but is it worth it? Only you can answer that considering your situation.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby Lefty » 05 30, 2018 •  [Post 3]

My neighbors set up two camps.
Lots of reasons for both. They use horses to pack in the spike camp, nice camp , that stays put for the season, cots stay at base camp.
They generally have 8-12 hunters.wives and youngsters come up and stay in base camp.
Spike camp is used by those that have time to make it to spike camp or staying more than one night.
Lefty
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Postby Navesgane » 05 31, 2018 •  [Post 4]

I did it solo and for me it was tough and I'm an avid backpacker/hiker/camper in the summer. I would recommend weighing all of your stuff you plan on carrying to spike camp with and then do some hiking around with it beforehand and see if it's something you'll be comfortable with and won't exhaust you after a full day of hiking and hunting. For me, hiking a trail with all of my backpacking gear (which is essentially my spike camp minus my hunting necessities), is easier than hunting because when hiking I'm usually on a civilized trail and can push out several miles without stopping vs bushwaking if needed while hunting, and stopping, listening, calling, glassing and all the other stuff that goes along with hunting. Taking the pack off and on and traversing various terrain is a hassle and physically taxing to me. In short, I would say it all depends on the terrain, elevation, weather/temp, and your physical abilities. If you're going with others it would probably be easier as you can split up the gear a bit, but going minimal could turn out to be more trouble than it's worth if you get some bad weather or low temps.
Instagram @jeff.reilly1
Navesgane

First Name: Jeff

Postby BrentLaBere » 05 31, 2018 •  [Post 5]

I will do this if it doesn't affect what the elk are doing. Last year we packed in and set up approximately a half mile away from the elk. 3 to 3 and 1/2 mile hike from the truck. There are two ridge lines to cross to get to where the elk were and we cut 1 of them out of the picture of hiking in the morning. First few years of packing in, we brought everything for the entire trip. Over packed is an understatement. Keep it simple and pack light if the weather allows it. Im sure you could split the weight pretty easy with your boys. I don't like sleeping on ridge lines away from water. Tried it a couple of times and the wind is always worse and hiking to water when your tired isn't very fun. I have yet to find a camping area, away from trails, that I haven't affected elk in some way but minimizing it is certainly key. I would recommend just hiking in the dark and dealing with the extra miles if this is the case. Keeping a quiet clean camp is very beneficial. A couple of times Ive had other camps move in and camp within a couple hundred yards of ours. They never knew we were there until we hiked out one night to the trail head. They were loud and if we could hear what they were saying around the campfire, the elk were well aware of them(so was everything else within a mile). That was our camp at one time, too. We crossed paths with a savy old elk hunter with his horses and he gave us pointers, stern lecture?, and it changed the way we camped and hunted. Our success killing and seeing elk went up significantly. For gear I would keep it simple. Bring things that would keep you comfortable and keep it affordable. There is no gear on the market that will bring you to a better state of mind. Hunt smart and be safe. Its a great adventure and its the big reason elk hunting appealed to me.
BrentLaBere

First Name: Brent
Last Name: LaBere

Postby elkstalker » 05 31, 2018 •  [Post 6]

I've done the spike camp both hiking and packing in on a mountain bike. If I do the spike I usually stay there for at least 2-3 days so I feel like it is worth the effort of packing in and setting up. Packing an elk out an additional few miles is something you need to consider, as is the weather (if it's hot and you can't hang your quarters at spike camp while you pack out it might be a deal breaker). Bears can be an issue, especially if there griz around you need to take extra precautions. I've had success running out of spike camps, but I've also had success hunting out of base camp.
elkstalker

Postby Indian Summer » 05 31, 2018 •  [Post 7]

“I’m thinking of packing a simple tent and then if we find elk.....”

Backwards. Find the elk first. Then go back to camp that night and gather everything you need and go back and set your spike camp.
Indian Summer
Wapiti Hunting Consultant

First Name: Joe
Last Name: Ferraro

Postby Old school » 05 31, 2018 •  [Post 8]

Thanks for the responses so far guys - definitely gives me things to consider or reconsider. I may be better off just making the 3 mile trek in and out... it’s not in a terrible place, it’s a relatively easy walk in there.

-Mitch
Old school

Postby Jhg » 07 22, 2018 •  [Post 9]

I have done this several times for up to 3 nights. I use a sil tarp shelter. Way more versitile than a tent in where you can set up. And no walls. It is fantastic to open your eyes in the morning and see elk. X2 on simple, quiet, light.
Jhg

Postby saddlesore » 07 22, 2018 •  [Post 10]

Mitch .Look at the Megahorn Tepee form Luxe Hiking gear ( Top of page in banner here).It would be great size for you and your boys, 8.8 #'s for tent, pole, stakes.

I will be doing exactly as you posted this year
saddlesore

Postby >>>---WW----> » 07 22, 2018 •  [Post 11]

Silnylon tarp, good insulated pad, maybe something like a 15 degree bag, and a hammock. If you don't want to hang from a tree you can use the hammock as a ground cloth and go to the ground.
>>>---WW---->

Postby Old school » 07 22, 2018 •  [Post 12]

Thanks guys - lots of things to consider at this point and I appreciate all the input! Might decide to go "ultralight" and just pull the puffy out of the pack and wear it and sleep on the ground for a night if we get into them. Not a 2 or 3 nighter without a sleeping bag, but maybe for a night it would work.

--Mitch
Old school

Postby saddlesore » 07 22, 2018 •  [Post 13]

Man, that is hard core. Hope you at least have some type of rain covering. It does rain in ML season
saddlesore