Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

How Many

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

How Many

Postby Swede » 06 06, 2018 •  [Post 1]

When elk hunting how many hunters do you consider ideal to hunt with and how many do you prefer to camp with?

I prefer to hunt alone until I get something down, then I am flexible. In camp 2-4 in addition to myself are great, but more or less is fine too. I really don't like to camp alone, but will, if the alternative is to just quit hunting and go home.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Re: How Many

Postby wawhitey » 06 06, 2018 •  [Post 2]

I prefer solo hunting, until i get something down in a hellhole, then bring on the cavalry :D.

As far as the camping aspect, i love camping alone. I want to be under the stars by myself, nobody else around. Its kinda soul cleansing.
Real eyes realize real lies
wawhitey

Postby Elkhntr08 » 06 07, 2018 •  [Post 3]

Depends. Bowhunting it’s nice to have a partner to call for or for you. Rifle, solo.
Elkhntr08

Postby Lsb » 06 07, 2018 •  [Post 4]

If it's the right people 3. One behind calling two out front shooting. This year it's me the wife and daughter.
Lsb

Postby Fridaythe13th » 06 07, 2018 •  [Post 5]

We have 6 in our group. The biggest reason is not the hunting, but the drive out. 3 to a truck, 1 driver, 1 navigating , 1 sleeping. It a 20 hour drive and I'm not making it a 2 day trip just to get to the elk woods. Every gas stop we change driver's, it works well.
As far as hunting I'm like a elk am social. It's no fun given yourself a high five. Most of the time it 2 or 3 in a group but have had 5 putting a sneek on a bull.
Fridaythe13th

First Name: Eric
Last Name: S

Postby saddlesore » 06 07, 2018 •  [Post 6]

2 hunters seem right to me. Too hard to coordinate more. All I need is one person to help lift elk quarters on the mule. Problem is ,my hunting partner quit hunting as of last year.Guess I will have to cut up the elk in smaller pieces
saddlesore
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

Postby CurlyTail » 06 07, 2018 •  [Post 7]

I like a little group energy. When I get tired or discouraged, the other guys pick me up. 3 hunters is perfect in my mind, 2 is also great. I have not tried solo hunting but can see advantages. If we had a camp with 4 or more hunters, I would want to split into groups and go to different locations.
CurlyTail

First Name: Jim
Last Name: B.

Postby lilshootergirl » 06 07, 2018 •  [Post 8]

Solo! I can move so quietly, and call to get the big boys out of there beds! But this years a cousin hunt, will see how it plays out! Looking forward to a camp full of family
If you can't find me, I'm not lost. I'm hunting!
lilshootergirl

Postby Roosiebull » 06 07, 2018 •  [Post 9]

almost always solo. I prefer it that way, and don't mind solo packing (help and company for the pack out is great) I don't hunt outside of my personal limitations of getting a bull out solo in time to keep the meat in good shape.

it's easier to pack a bull out solo than deal with someone else's quirks all season.
Roosiebull

Postby ishy » 06 08, 2018 •  [Post 10]

I like both for different reasons. Seems I have more luck solo, but that may just be more time in the woods solo due to schedules and young family.
ishy

First Name: Bryan
Last Name: L

Postby Lefty » 06 08, 2018 •  [Post 11]

I quite enjoy hunting alone.
Saturdays my daughter will be hunting with me,.. Hopefully my wife will spend a few days in a camp with us.
Otherwise Ill hunt with Dave. And in two years a buddy retires,.. we'll hunt a solid week or more.
Lefty
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Postby Roosiebull » 06 08, 2018 •  [Post 12]

wawhitey wrote:
As far as the camping aspect, i love camping alone. I want to be under the stars by myself, nobody else around. Its kinda soul cleansing.

I agree very much. there is nothing more peaceful than sitting in the dark with a dim lantern next to the tent listening to the woods, then getting chilled, crawling into a sleeping bag and slowly warming up in the darkest of dark.

I don't do much overnight hunting, but it sure is pleasant when I do. I like getting up too, equally dark, chilled, feeling around the damp tent walls looking for a light, finding it, getting ready and heading out, really has the feeling of hunting. I may have to do one of those trips opening weekend.
Roosiebull

Postby Thunderfoot » 06 11, 2018 •  [Post 13]

Our "camp" generally has 8-10 guys and gals in it. Almost all of us end up hunting solo or in pairs. I generally hunt solo but with someone from camp reasonably close, in the same basin or on the other side of the same ridge. Everyone in our camp shares in food prep, cleanup, etc. I know big camps aren't everyone's cup of tea, but having a lot of people in camp makes for great campfire stories, easy camp cleanup, and the cavalry is only a radio call away if someone gets one down.
Thunderfoot

First Name: Josh
Last Name: S.

Postby Tigger » 06 13, 2018 •  [Post 14]

4 is a great number. 2 teams of 2. Small enough for agility, but big enough to get the job done. We pack our bulls out in 1 trip and with 3 that would be tough (yeah, I know the Head Elknutter does it with 2, but he is both a lot tougher than I am and crazy!!!).

Having said all that, this year is 7. We will see how that works. One of them is my dad and at 70 years old, I am taking every opportunity to hunt with him I can get!
Tigger