Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

How Long?

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

How Long?

Postby Swede » 06 07, 2018 •  [Post 1]

I am often out on my elk hunt for 35-40 days counting my camp prep and tree stand set up days. In addition I am usually out 5-6 days in the summer scouting. By the time the hunt is over I am beat down enough that I am anxious to get home. Within two weeks to a month I am anxious to return, but I need to wait for another season to prepare for, or to hunt.
What about you? How long are you out and is it enough to satisfy you?
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Re: How Long?

Postby Roosiebull » 06 07, 2018 •  [Post 2]

never really ends for me between big game and predators (mainly lion) i'm in the woods a bunch all year. I never get tired of it. elk hunting after several days in a row is physically daunting, but even on the toughest days, it IS where I want to be that day.
Roosiebull

Postby Fridaythe13th » 06 08, 2018 •  [Post 3]

10 days is all I get for elk hunting. 1 day of prep work, 2 days of travel, 7 days to hunt. I don't have that much vacation and I would miss my family if it was longer.
Fridaythe13th

First Name: Eric
Last Name: S

Postby Vids » 06 08, 2018 •  [Post 4]

I haven't done many long hunts due to having a young family. My longest were a sheep hunt (9 days) and an elk/deer hunt (11 days). Missed my family by the end for sure.

Usually I'm ready to head home after a week or so, but since I live in CO it's easy to do that and come back up for another week again. Hopefully in the future I can have the freedom to spend a couple weeks in the field at a time.
Vids

First Name: Gary
Last Name: Vidlock

Postby wewarev » 06 08, 2018 •  [Post 5]

Looks like I'll have 8 days this year (Sun. 2 Sun.) so I'm seriously looking at flying into Albuquerque and renting a truck to drive up to Colorado. I would lose too much hunting time driving by myself for 30-35 hrs one way with my limited days off.
Just trying to find a way to make it happen!

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
wewarev

First Name: Rodney

Postby Lsb » 06 08, 2018 •  [Post 6]

I hunt with my wife and we can't be out too long. We're weird I know but we enjoy it.
Lsb

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 06 08, 2018 •  [Post 7]

Probably 8-10 scout days and usually around 3 weeks total for elk hunting. There are a few weekends mixed in throughout the fall for deer starting last year. By the time all seasons in the states I hunt are closed down, I’m starting to count down and plan for next fall ;). I’m usually happy with all time spent out and about.
WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ

Postby Lefty » 06 08, 2018 •  [Post 8]

I cant really count "scouting" Im sort of doing that all the time when hunting other game, hiking, Atving camping.
In the past Ive had All the September Friday evenings and Saturdays, Memorial day and 1 or two other days, This year who knows.hopefully after two elk in the frezzer Ill have time to hunt cranes
I use to run extensive traplines, in the fall 25 -40 hard days. Generally 15-30 nights away from home then depending on beaver priced s-2-3 weeks but home most nights.
Generally a hunting or trapping trip out of state 8-10 days
Lefty
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Postby saddlesore » 06 09, 2018 •  [Post 9]

I elk hunt two 9 day seasons,being out each about 12-13 days.Then deer and antelope after that. Pretty much tired of hunting by mid December
saddlesore
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

Postby southernelk » 06 09, 2018 •  [Post 10]

since we have such a drive, I end up taking about 2 weeks off for elk, I wish it were more. 8 days of hunting, 4 days of driving, and 2 days of scouting and setting up camp. my wife does not feel sorry for me because October through March I am deer or hog hunting somewhere every week.
southernelk