Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

How high

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

How high

Postby Lonnie » 06 08, 2018 •  [Post 1]

So every year I go to scout. I think I need to climb to the top of the mountain to set up my cams for game. What do you guys think. Where do you set up your cams. And tell us where on the mountain do you usually set them.
Lonnie

Re: How high

Postby Swede » 06 08, 2018 •  [Post 2]

I do not consider elevation or aspect. Elk will cover a lot of distance and terrain in the area I hunt. I set my cams at locations that show significant elk sign. Water holes, saddles and places where trails come together are my favorites. Sometimes a funnel that forces elk to go through a narrow pass can be good. As I consider a location, it is nice but not essential to see fresh and old rubs around.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby Elkhunttoo » 06 08, 2018 •  [Post 3]

I don't care to much about elevation, I usually just put them at water holes and in saddles in places I'm going to hunt. The summer pictures are fun and I love to get them but I hope to get pictures (active cameras) right when the season is starting
Elkhunttoo

Postby Lefty » 06 08, 2018 •  [Post 4]

I was setting them on water tanks in the desert.
Just trails. Currently I have 2 cameras below the forest Service ground. I suspect we will kill one of our elk this year "at the bottom"
Lefty
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Postby Roosiebull » 06 08, 2018 •  [Post 5]

hunting roosies, 1k is WAY up there :lol: around here, when given a choice, elk are lazy. the lower the better, pretty much all year. the majority of elk around me live below 500ft all year, so I ain't climbing no mountain for nothing ;)

some days it feels like you gain a bunch of elevation, the ridges are steep, nasty, and thick, but they only gain so much elevation. our terrain is very "rugose"
Roosiebull

Postby saddlesore » 06 09, 2018 •  [Post 6]

I have never set any cameras out, but hunting ML season,I find most elk in the 80000-9000 ft range here in Colorado ,unless hunter pressure gets heavy. Then they can be above 10,000 feet or down in the valley floor on private land at 7000 or less
saddlesore
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics