Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

New Sponsor Welcome - Bear Paw Outfitters

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

New Sponsor Welcome - Bear Paw Outfitters

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 06 09, 2018 •  [Post 1]

Got a dandy for you Wapiti Talker's. Please join me in welcoming Bear Paw Outfitters to our humble on-line hunting campfire. I've associated with Dale over the past few years and can honestly say, he's not only a great guy but runs a top shelf outfitting business. Whether you're looking to hunt moose, deer, bear, big cats, antelope, bison, gobblers, or even prairie dogs :)....... Bear Paw may very well be your go to outfit for future adventures. Give his site a look see (banner and text link above) and again, welcome Dale/Bear Paw Outfitters to Wapiti Talk! RJ
WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ

Re: New Sponsor Welcome - Bear Paw Outfitters

Postby Swede » 06 09, 2018 •  [Post 2]

Welcome to Bear Paw. You look like you have some excellent hunts available. I think newer elk hunters especially can gain a lot more than just meat in the cooler by going with a quality outfitter. Ones that are just fun to be with are a real bonus.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby Joe Schmo » 06 10, 2018 •  [Post 3]

Welcome Dale!! Good hunts at reasonable prices!!
Joe Schmo

Postby Elkduds » 06 11, 2018 •  [Post 4]

Thank you for sponsoring our elk addiction. Great to have you w us!
Elkduds

First Name: Mark
Last Name: Scott

Postby Lefty » 06 12, 2018 •  [Post 5]

Welcome aboard!!
Lefty
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Postby bearpaw » 06 14, 2018 •  [Post 6]

Thanks very much for the warm and friendly welcome. Hunting is my life, I was very fortunate to grow up in a family where almost everyone hunted, I learned from my dad, my uncles, and my grandpa, my mom even took me hunting quite often, tears come to my eyes when I think about how good they all treated me and how lucky I was, I lived a childhood that few other kids have and they shaped my life more than they knew. A friend and I started guiding in December 1977 fresh out of high school, that first hunter from Texas looked at us kind a funny when he saw how young we were, but he killed a state record P&Y cougar and that is what got our outfitting business going. My wife and I recently celebrated our Anniversary, we've been together close to 40 years, she has put up with my hunting for a very long time! LOL We have three grown children, two girls and a son. I enjoy and support all types of hunting, fishing, and trapping. Hunting elk is one of my favorite hunting activities, probably next in line after hound hunting cougar, that's my favorite hunting activity.

We are licensed to operate in Idaho, Montana, Utah, and Washington. My son runs our northern Idaho business, I run our southern Idaho and Utah business, when I'm in the other states my wife and a couple long time trusted guides run our Washington business. Another trusted guide who first worked for me in 2004 lives in Bozeman and is now a partner and the manager of our Montana business.

Elk
We offer a variety of elk hunts with something to suit most any hunter. We offer top end trophy bull elk hunts in Utah and Montana and we offer more affordable bull elk hunts in Idaho where we've also taken some bulls into the 340's and 350's. Quite a few outfitters don't offer many cow elk hunts so we are a bit different, we offer a variety of cow elk hunts from August to January, cow elk hunting is an important and significant part of our business. Some elk hunts are general season and some are draw, some of the hunting is in rough country and some is in fairly easy country. We offer fully guided hunts, semi-guided, and unguided hunts with indoor accommodations or from base camps or drop camps.

Mule Deer
We offer private ranch hunts in Utah and Montana and mountain hunts in southern Idaho, occasionally we take a mule deer in Washington but we have much better mule deer hunting in Idaho, Utah, and Montana. We have general season tags available, landowner tags, and outfitter allocation tags in controlled hunt areas. We offer combo deer/elk hunts in Idaho and Montana, and deer/elk/antelope hunts in Montana. If you want to hunt mule deer we can get you on a hunt! It's just a matter of figuring out which one of our hunts is the best fit for you!

Bear
In Idaho we use baits, hounds, and spot and stalk all on the same hunt which gives a hunter the opportunity to experience all three methods of bear hunting and it's a two bear area, it's a very fun and successful hunt. In Washington we only spot and stalk, some hunters prefer this type of hunt and this is an outstanding hunt if that's what you prefer, we will hunt berry patches the same way I grew up shooting bear, in fact we may even hunt some of the same berry patches I've been hunting for nearly 50 years. Tags are available over the counter in either state.

Whitetail Deer
Our long time staple has been our Washington hunts, we are in Washington's top deer producing area which is probably 85% whitetail, 15% mule deer. We lease numerous ranches and hold a USFS permit in this area. We also offer some excellent private ranch whitetail hunting in central Montana that are also extremely good hunting. Deer hunts in MT can be combined with elk and/or antelope.

Antelope
Central and Eastern Montana is where we hunt antelope, archery hunts are mostly done in blinds at waterholes or high traffic locations, but spot and stalk or decoying has been productive at times too. During rifle season we mostly spot and stalk antelope. Antelope can be combined with deer and elk hunting too.

Moose
Moose must be drawn in all the states, we hunt moose in Idaho, Utah, and Washington. We average 5 to 7 moose hunts each season and they are normally 100% shooting opportunity. I say opportunity because yes, I've had a few hunters miss multiple moose! My best advice, shoot your gun after you arrive for any hunt and you cut your odds of missing in half, at least half the time animals are missed is because guns are not on the mark. If you fall during a hunt shoot your rifle to be sure it's still sighted correctly.

Sheep
I've done a few sheep hunts and had 100% success, but none of our hunters have drawn in recent years. Tags have gotten very tough to draw everywhere. If you want to apply in areas where we guide sheep you can send me a message and I'll advise where to apply. We offer two sheep hunting options, guided with one guide $3950, guided with three guides $6950 (the 3 guide option is the best chance to find the biggest ram in a unit).

Buffalo (Bison)
Our buffalo hunts are done on a private ranch east of Billings, MT. This is a private herd so no draw or license is required. By nature buffalo are not very elusive, this is really more of a shoot than a hunt, but everyione seems to have a great time and we get a surprising number of repeat hunters, the meat is excellent flavored and healthy to eat.

Prairie Dogs
If you have never shot prairie dogs you have been missing out. Not only is this a lot of fun but you will be a much better shot after a couple days of prairie dog shooting. The guide teaches long range shooting classes and can offer great advice to improve your shooting skills. We recommend bringing at least two or three weapons, a brick of .22 and 200-300 centerfire for each day of hunting. You can bring all centerfire if desired but that is more costly. We've had hunters who didn't bring enough ammo and then bought out everything that was available in town and still ran out. If desired, we now have an FFL who will pre-order for you at a discount and the ammo will be waiting when you arrive. We've also got some fun ground squirrel shooting in eastern Washington for anyone living in WA and not wanting to travel to MT.

Merriam's Turkey
Many hunters from all over the country have told me this is some of the best turkey hunting they have seen. Our Washington hunting area is the best in the state and arguably one of the best in the country. We lease numerous properties and know the the best mountain hot spots. We are a two bird area and most hunters get two birds, depending on how many hunters we get we take 40 to 100 birds every year.

Wolf
In the past we've avoided conducting business in areas with wolves. A couple years ago we made the decision to buy an additional Idaho outfitting business in an area where there are quite a few wolves. Even in the best areas, wolf hunting is not a high success hunt, but our wolf hunting area also has plenty of bear, cougar, and bobcat. I recommend doing a fall bear & wolf hunt, or a winter cougar/bobcat/wolf hunt. We have high success on bear and cougar so that ensures that you will most likely have a successful hunt even if you don't get the wolf.

Cougar (Mt Lion)
This is my personal favorite hunt, no words can describe the many experiences I've had when cougar hunting and I can't begin to list the many good deer and elk hunting spots I've found by following these big cats around the mountains. I'm telling you, the cats know all the best deer and elk areas! We've had great success cat hunting with many record book cats taken including a former P&Y World Record that scaled 205 pounds. Obviously not every hunter will kill a record book cat, but we have the experience, the dogs, the top equipment, and the right hunting areas to give you one of the best chances available anywhere at the trophy of a lifetime.

Thanks again to Wapitalk for allowing us to advertise our hunts here, and my apologies for such a long winded post!

Best Regards,
Dale Denney
bearpaw
Site Sponsor

Postby bearpaw » 06 14, 2018 •  [Post 7]

I should have mentioned that I'm a pretty busy guy so I'm not sure how often I'll be able or remember to check my messages on this forum and I don't know if it will send me a message or not, so the best way to contact me is by email or phone. All my contact info is on my website: https://bearpawoutfitters.com/

Thanks Again,
Dale
bearpaw
Site Sponsor