Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

How many years......

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

How many years have you been hunting elk?

1-5
12%
6-10
16%
11-15
4%
15-20
16%
20+
52%

View results

How many years......

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 06 11, 2018 •  [Post 1]

...on the elk trail. How many years have you been hunting the mighty Wapiti?
WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ

Re: How many years......

Postby Lsb » 06 11, 2018 •  [Post 2]

Pushing 20
Lsb

Postby Elkduds » 06 11, 2018 •  [Post 3]

Where is the 30+ category or better yet, the 40+ category?
Elkduds

First Name: Mark
Last Name: Scott

Postby Roosiebull » 06 11, 2018 •  [Post 4]

This will be season 19 for me
Roosiebull

Postby Swede » 06 11, 2018 •  [Post 5]

As best I could count it I have a little over 35 years hunting elk. I worked in the forest, and hunted deer more in my earlier years. I hunted deer and some elk until 1991 then switched to mostly hunting elk that year.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby saddlesore » 06 11, 2018 •  [Post 6]

Started in1966 and have missed darn few seasons since, less than1/2 dozen. So that would be 51 years plus.
saddlesore
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

Postby Elkhunttoo » 06 11, 2018 •  [Post 7]

Started in 93... it doesn't seem that long ago
Elkhunttoo

Postby Bronc » 06 11, 2018 •  [Post 8]

First elk hunt was ‘91, then didn’t hunt elk again until ‘98. Haven’t missed a season since.
Bronc

Postby Thunderfoot » 06 11, 2018 •  [Post 9]

This will be year 27 for me.
Thunderfoot

First Name: Josh
Last Name: S.

Postby Lefty » 06 12, 2018 •  [Post 10]

2 Montana rifle hunted 5 day one elk
2 Washington tags, 3 days no elk
2 Utah tags, Never hunted the one tag, 1 day one cow
1 Idaho trophy draw one morning 1 bull, But I scouted over 10 days
8 archery seasons maybe scouting is my hobby, one cow,.. passed on too many bull :ugeek:
Lefty
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 06 12, 2018 •  [Post 11]

Wow, what a bunch of crusty old farts on this forum. I'm sure glad I'm so young, but, I just did the math (turned 59 last month) and I've been hunting elk pretty steady (with the exception of the years the Army required my presence during the fall) for over 35 years. Man, I guess I am a somewhat of a crust old fart, not nearly as crusty as Swede and Saddlesore though 8-).
WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ

Postby Idahonian » 06 12, 2018 •  [Post 12]

2 for me. I'd love to see a breakdown of people's experiences on a season-by-season basis as Lefty has done above. Very interesting, and probably a good trip down memory lane for the poster as well!
Idahonian

Postby ishy » 06 12, 2018 •  [Post 13]

I can't remember what I did last year, let alone a year by year rundown.
25 years. Every year since hearing that first bugle except 2 for a church mission, 1 year to train for Ironman (wife said I couldn't do both, I vehemently disagreed but understood her point) , couple years guiding-not sure if those count or not.
ishy

First Name: Bryan
Last Name: L

Postby Tigger » 06 13, 2018 •  [Post 14]

In order:

Colorado Rifle hunt - Skunked
Wyoming Rifle - 1 bull
Colorado Rifle - 1 bull
Idaho Rifle - Skunked
Wyoming Archery - 1 Bull
Montana Archery - Skunked
Montana Archery - 1 bull

Never hunted the same area twice...until this year. We are going back to the spot where I arrowed the Wyoming bull.
Tigger

Postby Roosiebull » 06 13, 2018 •  [Post 15]

saddlesore wrote:Started in1966 and have missed darn few seasons since, less than1/2 dozen. So that would be 51 years plus.

that's pretty awesome! that is a bunch of elk hunting.

did you ever dabble in archery hunting? just curious after all these years, what's your favorite type of elk hunting?
Roosiebull

Postby Swede » 06 13, 2018 •  [Post 16]

Tigger that is awesome success for seven years of experience. You are way ahead of where I was with the same number of hunting seasons. And you are form Minnesota hunting several different States. To what do you credit your success?
Swede

Postby Fridaythe13th » 06 13, 2018 •  [Post 17]

About a dozen times for me. Started in 2004 but went every other for a few years till 2010 haven't missed sense. Should have gone for 25 years straight. I wasn't thinking right in my 20's. My elk average is 25% which is good for not shooting one in the last 7 outing.
Fridaythe13th

First Name: Eric
Last Name: S

Postby Indian Summer » 06 13, 2018 •  [Post 18]

33 for me. We do need a 30+ category
Indian Summer
Wapiti Hunting Consultant

First Name: Joe
Last Name: Ferraro

Postby Bow4Elk » 06 13, 2018 •  [Post 19]

Been 47 years now. Started looking for a thing called elk in 1971. Went looking for elk knowing nothing about them but hearing stories from my uncle made me want to find one. Spent the night in the cab of a 2 wheel drive pickup with a foot of snow on the ground and the temperature dropping to 15 degrees. The next morning we awoke (after daylight) to a knock on the window and veteran elk hunter asked us if we were hungry. They were breaking camp headed home and had some hot food if we wanted. My first exposure to a wall tent with plywood floors, bunks and a wood stove. It was a learning experience for sure. Started bow hunting them in 1976 and haven't looked back since.
Bow4Elk

First Name: Ron

Postby Fozziebear2000 » 06 13, 2018 •  [Post 20]

Being nearly a beginner tho I’m 59 will keep me young I guess.

I hunted archery elk in AZ during 2 seasons in late 80’s. Hilight I remember is being stalked by a hunter when I called through a scap of plumbing tube. Always planned to do more elk hunting but life got in the way...

2013 hunted fresh tracks in the first snows around Mt. Adams, during rifle season with friends.

2014 scouted for a week with my dad in AZ, We enjoyed 3 bulls as they sauntered by at 15 yards, one early morning. These were my father’s last days on the trail.

2015 I skipped a 10 day hunt that was planned with a friend in ID, as my dad passed during the days scheduled for that hunt.

2016 lotta scouting, and a solo archery hunt in SW WA for 4 days during late season. Barely botched a stalk on a big cow at last light.

2017 I spent my hunting time chasing other critters in WY, as part of a family thing.

This past year I have been out for 10 days or so of scouting in SW WA.

I have not released an arrow at an elk - yet. Kinda feel like that is coming up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Fozziebear2000

Postby Lsb » 06 13, 2018 •  [Post 21]

First was early 90's with a rifle in NM, brother killed a bull

A few bow hunts in NM to round out the century, missed a few.

2002 moved to Idaho, haven't missed a season since, killed 2 bulls with trad gear

2006 moved to MT, the wife started bowhunting. She's been out front since, I'm the caller. She's killed one with a bow but misses and shots she should have taken she should be at 10 bulls. Ive taken a couple of cows and a bull with a rifle in MT.

This fall I'll have my wife and my oldest daughter out front, I can't wait.
Lsb

Postby Joe Schmo » 06 14, 2018 •  [Post 22]

That’s pretty awesome that there’s such a wealth of knowledge on this forum!!
Joe Schmo

Postby Tigger » 06 14, 2018 •  [Post 23]

Swede wrote:Tigger that is awesome success for seven years of experience. You are way ahead of where I was with the same number of hunting seasons. And you are form Minnesota hunting several different States. To what do you credit your success?

Wapiti Talk and Elknut of course! The last two bulls have been as a result of what I have learned from Paul and on the forum here. My 2015 bull must have read the Playbook, because he sure played the part! It happened just like it was scripted. the last 3 years we have had 4-6 good encounters per year that have almost all came as a result of the playbook. I also passed up a 50 yard shot so my buddy could get a 40 yard shot in 2016. That was perhaps the biggest bull. Also, preparation plays a big role. Researching areas. Having multiple spots lined up. Randy Newberg's videos have been extremely helpful. In fact, I don't think Randy gets enough credit on this forum for some the stuff he has put out. His videos are a tremendous resource for not only elk hunting, but also other species. Another thing is hunting hard and smart. Probably most of the people on this forum hunt hard, but there are many that drive the roads and don't hike in before daylight. Hunting smart is also important. Pulling the plug on an area that doesn't "feel" right has been the right decision. Lastly, finding a place where the elk feel secure. How to find that is tough to put into words, but we have been successful in each place doing that. I think we kinda have a feel for where the public wants to hunt and we go elsewhere. This year will be so much easier hunting a spot for the second time. I already know some spots that hold elk! how cool is that?
Tigger

Postby Joe Schmo » 06 15, 2018 •  [Post 24]

I wonder what the WT success rate is overall.
Joe Schmo

Postby Joe Schmo » 06 15, 2018 •  [Post 25]

I think it’s unfair to compare OTC to draw tags...such a different dynamic.
I’m 2/3 on draw tags and 2/3 OTC
Joe Schmo

Postby Swede » 06 15, 2018 •  [Post 26]

Joe Schmo wrote:I wonder what the WT success rate is overall.

I have no idea what the W.T. success rate is, but have to believe hunters that hang out here are real enthusiasts. They are far more into their hunting than the average person. They are here to learn all they can, so I suspect their success is well above average.
Tigger would need a lot of saliva, and we would need some serious soda pop time, if he was going to convince me he hunts harder than I did when I was getting started. Hard hunting helps, but it only gets you so far.
As a teen and young adult I read magazines like Outdoor life and Field and Stream. As a kid I was trying to glean tips that would make me a better hunter, but it was like walking a mile for a raisin. The raisin is good, but hardly worth all the effort. The difference I see now is that there is a lot more good specific information out there to help anyone willing to put the effort into learning hunting.
When I began, calls were very primitive, and for all I knew the challenge was to come up with enough money to buy one. And who knew if they would really work? There were no films or How to books around. Mostly you learned as you go. Hunt hard, be stealthy, and watch the wind were all the rules I knew or thought I knew.
One thing I read as a kid was how this hunter would walk down one side of a ridge looking for game, then he would cross over to the other side and see what he could catch off guard. He would then go down that side of the ridge a ways then pop back over the other. He claimed it was a good technique for coming up on unsuspecting game. I still try that at times.
Swede

Postby the weasel » 06 15, 2018 •  [Post 27]

This will mark my 27th. archery season with an Elk tag in my pocket.....only missed 1 season in 28yrs.
But don't ask me about any knowledge, as i obviously have 0%. :(
Anymore it's just "camping" with an "opportunity in my pocket" .....
the weasel

First Name: john

Postby Tigger » 06 15, 2018 •  [Post 28]

Swede, we probably don't hunt harder than you did while hunting. I am sure we don't hunt harder than some on this forum, but if you ranked ALL elk hunters, we would float higher to the top than the bottom methinks. But if you include the prep work, reading, studying, practicing, then I think our group really elevates over other groups. Not the highest for sure, but overall, on average more than most groups. I think back to the day we were leaving WY and were packing up camp. 3 groups stopped by to look at my bull at 8-9am in the morning. Not 1 person in those 3 groups were dressed to go where we went (ah, excuse me sir, but those insulated bibs might not be the best attire for climbing a mountain!!).

I did forget one extremely important criteria in my success so far. Luck. Luck has definitely shined bright upon me.

OTC 3/6 (I am including WY general tag here even though technically that is a draw tag).
Draw 1/1
Tigger

Postby Swede » 06 15, 2018 •  [Post 29]

Tigger, to have the success you are enjoying, I am convinced you are hunting hard, whatever that means, hunting very smart, and having some good luck thrown in. Anyway guys like you and Roosiebull make it look almost easy.
Best wishes on your 2018 hunt. :D
Swede