Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Would You Help?

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Would You Help?

Postby Swede » 06 12, 2018 •  [Post 1]

This is a hypothetical question, but is similar to some we get every year. Maybe the question is not "would you help", but how would you help?

I plan to hunt XYZ unit in your State. I have never been there, and am wondering if you can help me get started. I am not looking for your honey hole, but would like to have a place where there is a good number of branch bulls available. I have one friend that will go with me for the first two weeks of September archery. We plan to call and do a little tree stand hunting. We will tent camp and have ATVs.

Would you feel comfortable helping this hunter? What if it is an OTC unit that you frequent? What about if it is a draw unit that takes over 10 years to get?

Personally, I will help a hunter like this, but am not going to give specific coordinates in my hunting area. I might say where the hunting pressure is heaviest or elevation or things of that nature.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Re: Would You Help?

Postby saddlesore » 06 12, 2018 •  [Post 2]

I would help but the question of where a good number of branch bulls are is unanswerable. If I knew,I would be hunting that area. If in Colorado, I would advise the hunter to subscribe to CPW's Colorado Outdoors magazine and get the February issue with the Preference Points in it then look at the herd numbers in each GMU, look at the bull to cow ratio, and look at the number of Preference Points needed to draw an area along with the yearly Big Game brochure to also see what units are OTC. Have him get back to me after he does this so he has some basic knowledge.If he isn't willing then he just want some one else to do the work for him. Most of the information of where,how ,etc is readily available in print

I'm a little bit predigest and when someone mentions ATV's and hunting in the same sentence. It kind'a turns me off. Mostly because I have encountered a lot more discourteous ones than courteous ones.Forest Service maps now have travel management info. So that is another piece of homework he has to do to see where he can use them.
Once I know the hunter has done his homework, I will help all I can,and I have done it in the past.

I can think of at least four on this forum that I have done so.
saddlesore
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

Postby Elkhunttoo » 06 12, 2018 •  [Post 3]

I have seen these questions every year I've been on this site. Most of them are for Colorado so I'm no help in that area. I honestly think a person can help with terrain and water sources/availability...but, lots of honey holes change. A place I used to hunt 18 years ago that had four wallows that I knew that were getting pounded every year. No longer had elk hitting those wallows at all. I feel like I don't know the unit I hunt good enough yet. Here would be my break down of the unit I have archery hunted the last few years. The east side of the unit is extremely steep, has rattle snakes (I hate them so that has to be mentioned) lots of open side hills with sage and then timber on the other side. Timber sides are extremely brushy and very hard to work through with primarily swirling winds. Water in the bottom of the canyons with very few wallows that I have found. Once again, very very steep. West side of the unit, very very steep :D , but some areas are manageable. Much easier to work through the timber on the west side, less brush, ..... elk seem to be about the same numbers on both sides, I prefer the west but have a few places on the east side that I feel confident I can find elk.

That is a scatter brained response for ya ;)
Elkhunttoo

Postby Lefty » 06 12, 2018 •  [Post 4]

Im generally willing to help. Im even share info with in the same unit we hunt.
My father-in -law met a young fellow in the woods of Idaho from California, ( Im not picking on Californians )helped him get his first couple mulies over a few years. My father in law would see him in the same area, then bringing buddies, after 25 years he started guiding in the area.

A fellow on a waterfowl site got very bent out of shape when I gave a few out of staters a place they could hunt,.. It was my own piece of property,.. the grumps group was paying $5,000 to hunt with-in sight of my place.
Lefty

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Postby Roosiebull » 06 13, 2018 •  [Post 5]

I have helped lots of people that way. I don't mind giving someone a few places to start, but in the process I will be as honest as possible, there are a few places I would never mention, but I know lots of places that hold elk locally.

in that situation I am usually going to be pretty generic with details of the area, but will give them a starting point and leave it up to them how hard they want to work to have action. I don't send anyone on a wild goose chase.

I have only been burned once by doing it, but it was no big deal, just kind of a selfish gesture in the future, that is why I don't go into great detail. I don't mind "leading the horse to water" I like helping when I can.
Roosiebull

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 06 13, 2018 •  [Post 6]

Yes, I have and will continue to do so; it hasn't bitten me in the hind quarters yet.
WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ

Postby Fridaythe13th » 06 13, 2018 •  [Post 7]

100% YES....... I would have not started if it wasn't for help. Being from minnesota and to sit there and look at a map of the rocky mountain and find elk is pretty hard to do with out help. It's a little easier with the invention of the internet, but I didn't have that option back then. All this person did was told me a town he hunted buy, a place to stay and a couple of mountain to hunt. We took it from there and we got elk every year. The best year was 4 for 6.
Fridaythe13th

First Name: Eric
Last Name: S

Postby >>>---WW----> » 06 14, 2018 •  [Post 8]

I have helped many guys in the past. But not any more unless they are special friends. This has back fired on me too many times. You try to be mister nice guy to someone and the next thing you know they show up the following year with others. And things just multiply from there.

Usually when the ask for advice and say, "I'm not looking for your honey hole". that is exactly what they are looking for. So be careful who you choose to help!
>>>---WW---->

Postby Elkhntr08 » 06 15, 2018 •  [Post 9]

I find more satisfaction in helping guys with whitetail hunting than taking another one myself. When it comes to elk hunting, we all know how difficult it is. I have given advice on units I’ve hunted in the past. It does amaze me when guys come on a forum and their first post is “Tell me where to kill a elk.” They have not done any homework to narrow it down to a unit.
I guess I’m willing to help anyone who is helping themselves.
Elkhntr08

Postby Dorobuta » 07 12, 2018 •  [Post 10]

I will help a hunter to the extent possible, including general areas to hunt. I won't give up any honey holes, of course if I had any, I wouldn't be eating tag soup....
Yes, I am addicted to elk. No, I don't need help, I just need a tag.
Dorobuta

Postby BrentLaBere » 07 13, 2018 •  [Post 11]

I have and also asked for some help. If you give someone the hunting pressure and elevations, that's more than enough information IMO. I've helped hunters in a unit that I'm familiar with and would be more specific in a harder draw unit. I would also say it depends on who is asking too. Some of the great hunting spots that I have wouldn't do much good to a person that is hunting it for the first time. Wind and time of day (timing of your approach) is just as important as finding them. I believe that's more important information. That might be a reason not many other hunters go in there. Hunting it "wrong" will turn the area into a ghost town..... I know this to well.
BrentLaBere

First Name: Brent
Last Name: LaBere

Postby elkstalker » 07 13, 2018 •  [Post 12]

I've helped on more than one occasion, on this site and others. If its a general unit I hunt regularly I'm a little more vague, but still try to be helpful. Unless I know someone well I would never give out specific locations of the spots that I hunt frequently in general units, however I will give information about herd numbers, travel, hunting pressure, etc. On draw units or areas that I rarely hunt I tend to give out more info, but not on a public forum, only through PMs. I do despise the "honey hole" question, and am not a fan of people who don't want to do their own leg work.
elkstalker