Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

RATS!

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

RATS!

Postby Swede » 06 20, 2018 •  [Post 1]

All I drew in the Oregon big game lottery was a late season Alsea cow elk tag. That is a booby prize for anyone that asks for a second choice. Maybe Roosiebull can take me by the hand and show me one this coming late Fall. I really wanted a special tag just for fun. This reminds me of the monthly W.T. photo contest.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Re: RATS!

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 06 20, 2018 •  [Post 2]

Well crap cakes. Pretty sure I won’t pull any special WA tags tomorrow so I’ll join you in your misery.
WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ

Postby Lsb » 06 20, 2018 •  [Post 3]

Swede wrote:All I drew in the Oregon big game lottery was a late season Alsea cow elk tag. That is a booby prize for anyone that asks for a second choice. Maybe Roosiebull can take me by the hand and show me one this coming late Fall. I really wanted a special tag just for fun. This reminds me of the monthly W.T. photo contest.

Makes me feel good about my submission to the June photo contest.
Lsb

Postby Swede » 06 20, 2018 •  [Post 4]

The dates for Oregon and Washington big game draws are disgusting. How is a person supposed to adequately plan his hunt, with so little time after their inevitable rejection? I guess I can go and stomp around my regular haunts, but it would have been considerate on their part to afforded me more time to scout the area I have been hunting for over 25 years. :(
Swede

Postby stringunner » 06 20, 2018 •  [Post 5]

I didn’t draw anything either! Heading up to put out cameras in 2 weeks. I will place a few for you Swede as well.
stringunner

Postby saddlesore » 06 21, 2018 •  [Post 6]

Colorado was considerate enough to give me a cow ML elk tag for the unit I usually hunt. I won't be setting out any cameras or doing any scouting.Just go up and shoot an elk hopefully.I prefer looking around the first few days of the season to find out what elk are frequenting the area. I was going to be hunting solo ,and a good friend and outfitter emailed to tell me to come up and camp on her land as she had two camps that were not being used and a cow tag sure wouldn't bother her hunters .

On the downside, I was suppose to leave today to hep Luke Kessler scout an area I hunt. I was all packed, mules shoed ready to go, but then my truck blew a head gasket and it's still in the shop. Plus, my MIL fell and broke her leg. We have been busy cleaning out her place as she can't live alone anymore at 89. NO she is not coming to live with us.

Luke is suppose to stop by today on his way to the area to review some maps
saddlesore
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

Postby Lefty » 06 21, 2018 •  [Post 7]

With all the electronic abilities I just dont understand why with in the week of draws being closed that we dont know who has drawn.
Lefty

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Postby Tigger » 06 21, 2018 •  [Post 8]

Saddlesore, it is sure nice of you to open your home to your MIL! I am pretty sure I read that right, that you are giving her the master bedroom, right? And to top it off, you are bringing her elk hunting with you? Man, you are in line for the Son-In-Law of the Year Award!

Was that the outfitter that you talked about a few times? A lady outfitter? That to me is karma coming around. be a good person and good things happen to you. Nicely done.
Tigger

Postby Swede » 06 21, 2018 •  [Post 9]

Tigger wrote:Saddlesore, it is sure nice of you to open your home to your MIL! I am pretty sure I read that right, that you are giving her the master bedroom, right? And to top it off, you are bringing her elk hunting with you? Man, you are in line for the Son-In-Law of the Year Award!Was that the outfitter that you talked about a few times? A lady outfitter? That to me is karma coming around. be a good person and good things happen to you. Nicely done.

Tigger is right on. Saddlesore is really going to make his MIL proud. Even though she is not up to much physically, she can help Saddlesore with some timely instructions. It will be a real win-win situation.
Pay no attention to your wife's complaining. That is just her way of reminding you that she still loves you, even though she is spending an inordinate amount of time with her mom.
Swede

Postby saddlesore » 06 21, 2018 •  [Post 10]

AIN"T NO WAY SHE IS COMING HERE.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!, I' d move out of state if that happened. She did give me a Colt Detective Special in3 8, a Marlin Lever 22. Both almost new,and two older 22 rf handguns.( Probably because the Assisted Living does not permit firearms). That still wouldn't curry enough favors to let her live here.

Yep Swede , this outfitter is Jeanne Horne that owns /operates J Bar H Outfitter out of Meeker CO.I take some wine and she trades me for water for the mules since there is no water where I camp.Then she lets me use her walk in cooler.We have swapped some mules in the past.She has my big haflinger mule and I bought/traded for two smaller 13 and 13-2 mules that fit my size more.Nicest lady you will ever meet and she is easy on the eyes too
saddlesore

Postby pointysticks » 06 22, 2018 •  [Post 11]

that sucks your MIL is at the point she is ranked by what she has given you.

i'm blessed. my MIL is awesome. i love the lady.

my mom; my wife is the angel..my mom is the "problem child" at this point.

saddle, i hope your MIL heals up quick.
pointysticks

First Name: cliff
Last Name: l

Postby saddlesore » 06 22, 2018 •  [Post 12]

Trust me, MIL was ranked way long before this. As I stated, I got the guns because the Assisted Living did not permit them. Fact is,I am trying to trim the number of firearms I have, so my survivors won't have to deal with them.I don't need anymore at present or in the future.

Now back to the original thread.

Besides the cow tag I pulled, I most likely will buy a left over tag in August to hunt in center fire rifle season.I also drew a ML doe tag and a late season antelope tag.
saddlesore

Postby lamrith » 07 03, 2018 •  [Post 13]

Yeah 0-2 here as well with one draw left for me. AZ deer, I normally do not apply for it, but since I already bought the license as required to apply for elk, might as well roll the dice and see if get some use from the license on a deer.

If that falls thru at least I drew multiseason deer here in WA, probably end up actually purchasing it this time and head out to set some cams up.
'15 Elite E35. 30.5", 67#
100Gr. G5 montecs
Sportsman's Vital Impact 300spine

http://www.pelletpeddler.com
lamrith

First Name: Larry