Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

small palate tips/advice

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

small palate tips/advice

Postby Joe Schmo » 06 29, 2018 •  [Post 1]

So I figuratively have a big mouth, I literally have a SMALL mouth. I have been having a very tough time working with diaphragms. I find that much of the time the U-frame is almost touching my teeth on both sides!! I've trimmed the tape on a few calls down quite a bit but they still feel like they are too big and want to slip off the roof of my mouth. Any help??
Joe Schmo

Re: small palate tips/advice

Postby saddlesore » 06 29, 2018 •  [Post 2]

Years ago,I had few problem teeth and when they needed a crown, I had the dentist fix it so I could use a diaphragm.Now with dentures I can't use them at all.
saddlesore
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

Postby Swede » 06 29, 2018 •  [Post 3]

I would go with a good bite and blow bugle and a couple of cow calls. They are not quite as versatile as a diaphragm, but are fully capable of calling elk. I have always liked the Berry Thunder Bugle, but he has a newer bugle. I would call them up and ask their advise to see if they have a recommendation. I have talked to both Glen and his wife and they are very pleasant to talk too and helpful.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby Wapiti » 06 29, 2018 •  [Post 4]

Hey Joe,

Give me a shout at Wapiti 780-876-2170. I have smaller reeds that will fit you better bud.

Thanks again

Trav
Wapiti River Outdoors
780-876-6170
http://www.wapitiriveroutdoors.com
Wapiti
Site Sponsor

First Name: Travis
Last Name: O'Shea

Postby Swede » 06 29, 2018 •  [Post 5]

Wapiti wrote:I have smaller reeds that will fit you better bud.

I did not know that. It is good news for those that are harder to fit. I thought the standard answer is to go to a bite and blow call.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby Joe Schmo » 06 29, 2018 •  [Post 6]

I really love my promos hyperlip single and double for cow calling, I just wanted a more realistic bugle and...

Just like all things elk I’m made to look a fool on a regular basis, all I had to do was read up on some of the archives where Paul explains that diaphragms ARE NOT SUPPOSED TO BE TRIMMED!!! I’m guessing that I was over trimming and maybe that was part of the problem??
Either way I broke out a brand new call, chewed on it for awhile and bam!! I could use it!! I still suck big tome but I’ll be practicing to/from work for several months so hopefully there’s some improvement!!
Thanks again for the help. Wapiti I think I’ll be calling soon, just wanna practice a bit first.
Joe Schmo

Postby saddlesore » 06 30, 2018 •  [Post 7]

Everyone has to realize that every elk makes a very slightly different sound when it bugles or calls. It is more important to make the right type of call than exactly how each person thinks that should sound. Of course you can't be way off.

I have called in elk with home made conduit bugles 45 years ago, flexible gas line pipe, expensive grunt tubes w/ diaphragms, the old Cow Talk plastic calls, Carlton calls, Hoochi Mamas, even my own voice sounding like elk.

Elk don't read books or check the internet to figure out how their calls sounds
saddlesore
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics