Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Waitin At The Water

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Waitin At The Water

Postby Swede » 07 03, 2018 •  [Post 1]

It is 1:00 PM on opening day. You have been up since an hour before sun rise, after a short night's rest. You are in good cover resting awhile near a water hole, that shows good evidence of elk use. Jarred to full consciousness, suddenly you hear cows mewing and the distinct sound of elk coming your way. (You tree stand perverts can imagine you are snoozing in your perch.) You reach for your shooter as you sit up and get set. Breaking through the trees you see 8-9 cows and calves. There is one spike and a two year old rag horn bull. They are coming to the water hole right in front of you. You are feeling rather smart for choosing that location, as you are being presented with a good shot opportunity as your reward for your brilliance. But which one will you shoot, if any? There are a couple of big cows that have no calf, the spike would be young and tender, and that rag horn is a chip shot away now.
You have several elk in front of you and the option to wait at this location, to see if something big comes in today. What will it be?
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Re: Waitin At The Water

Postby Sticknstringer » 07 03, 2018 •  [Post 2]

Pick a big cow without a calf. When you feel you can draw and get a clean shot off you take it. It would be m uh first elk so I'd definitely shoot.
Sticknstringer

Postby saddlesore » 07 03, 2018 •  [Post 3]

If it is the first two big cows or first one with no calf, don't shoot it.It is probably the lead cow.Old and tough. If equal opportunities,I would shoot the spike if legal.Not much difference in the amount of meat. It would be better eating.However. In Colorado, there is a 4 pt rule or 3 with a brow tine in most units,so the spike would not be legal. If one of those cows without a calf looks young, maybe a 1&1/2 yr old or two that didn't get bred,she would be coming home with me.Better eating than the two bulls most likely.
saddlesore
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

Postby Lefty » 07 03, 2018 •  [Post 4]

Opening day and a chip shot.
Im passing on all of them,.. I need to mess up on a bigger bull and easier shot later in the season,..
Who wants the season to end the first hours of the hunt.
Lefty

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Postby saddlesore » 07 03, 2018 •  [Post 5]

I would because I usually have a hunter in camp that has never killed an elk.It is more fun to help him/her get one.I get mine out of the way , I have meat and I can continue to have fun.
saddlesore

Postby Fridaythe13th » 07 03, 2018 •  [Post 6]

Rag horn to add to my wall of shame
Fridaythe13th

First Name: Eric
Last Name: S

Postby Swede » 07 03, 2018 •  [Post 7]

[quote="saddlesore don't shoot it.It is probably the lead cow.Old and tough.[/quote]

Words of wisdom and experience.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby Lsb » 07 03, 2018 •  [Post 8]

As many times as a lead cow has wrecked the works for me I'd shoot her and smile
Lsb

Postby stringunner » 07 03, 2018 •  [Post 9]

Which ever has the best shot angle. I will pass a cow and calf that is obvious, the rag horn looks good, as does the spike. A cow will do too.
stringunner

Postby elkstalker » 07 05, 2018 •  [Post 10]

I'd probably sit there internally debating which one to target until I got busted or didn't have a shot opportunity... :lol: Just kidding, if I was ready to be done I'd take a cow or spike, an elk in the hand is better than 100 in the woods.
elkstalker