Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

MT elk hunters, what's your favorite wilderness & why?

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

MT elk hunters, what's your favorite wilderness & why?

Postby SilverDollars » 07 04, 2018 •  [Post 1]

Howdy. Attention Montana Elk Hunters. What's your favorite elk "wilderness area" to rifle hunt for elk, and why? Is it the terrain? Is it the beauty of the wilderness? Is it the quantity and/or the quality of elk there? Is it because you can get further away from other hunters? Is it because you can hunt the "rut" with a rifle? Why is it a favorite for you? Thanks!!!
SilverDollars

Re: MT elk hunters, what's your favorite wilderness & why?

Postby Lefty » 07 04, 2018 •  [Post 2]

Ive hunted National Forest In Montana.
The selection was made by my father-in -law a long long time ago. He was headed home with a Montana tag and got stuck,.. The next morning, he selected a bull out of a herd walking by.

I dont know if you will get any replies with an answer to your question. No matter the state most of my selection of hunting location have to be with proximity, and lack of people.
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. And why someone hunts one place over another could be the same
Lefty
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 07 05, 2018 •  [Post 3]

My favorite? The only one I've spent much time in is the Cabinet MT Wilderness in NW MT (and that was quite a few moons ago). Yep, there are elk there.... but there was also a multitude of grizz (seems like I remember they liked to transplant problem bears from Glacier there) and now, a bumper crop of wolves roam the area. It's also pretty much straight up and down in many areas. I've hunted the fringes of the Bob (again, many moons ago) and it holds elk but from reports I hear, its not nearly as good as it was back in the day.
WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ

Postby Indian Summer » 07 05, 2018 •  [Post 4]

I like my favorite wilderness areas because I can get away from people. I don't necessarily go extremely far, and neither do the elk. Just far enough to say I'm over here and all of them are over there. I like the Cabinets but it's not open enough. I like the Selway but there aren't enough elk. I like two others but if I told you I'd have to quarter you out!
Indian Summer
Wapiti Hunting Consultant

First Name: Joe
Last Name: Ferraro

Postby SilverDollars » 07 13, 2018 •  [Post 5]

Thanks you for your input MT elk hunters! I've been in CO and NM the past few years and have been TA giving MT a shot at occupying my hunting time. Heck, what am I talking about? I'm 61 yrs old and don't have time for points and BS, just want to get some more fine elk hunting in(backpacking style) before I get to where I can't climb anymore. Thanks for any continued input about MT.
SilverDollars