Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Scouting

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Scouting

Postby Swede » 07 11, 2018 •  [Post 1]

I am going for a week long scouting trip next week. I want to find some new spots to hang a tree stand. Hopefully they are an easy pack out, but that is not essential. A bull close in is better than one four miles back or a long trek uphill, but I hunt were I expect to find one.

So ......? What do you look for? Should I look for the same things? Do I need to bring back some pictures so my excuse for being gone gets by the head shed here?
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Re: Scouting

Postby Fridaythe13th » 07 12, 2018 •  [Post 2]

I'm good at scouting I walk around looking for swedes tree stands and hang a stand next to him. The hard part it to follow him in the dark. Lol
Fridaythe13th

First Name: Eric
Last Name: S

Re: Scouting

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 07 12, 2018 •  [Post 3]

Swede wrote: Do I need to bring back some pictures so my excuse for being gone gets by the head shed here?

Yes, would enjoy seeing some pics of what you see in your newly scouted area(s) mister. I'm heading out myself the end of this month for a 5 day scout in the spud state, same as you sir, to a newer area. Will be looking for elk on the hoof as they move up into the high country with the receding snow, elk sign from the previous year (trails, tracks, elk duds, feed/bed areas, hidey holes, escape routes, big dog sign, etc.), rut activity sign from previous year(s), hunter/outfitter backwoods camp sign, and will be stopping at some local establishment (USFS RS, Frank's Bar and Grill, Stab and Slab wild meat processors, etc.) on the way up to glean any info I can on the target area elk pops ;). Really, just gonna head into a few target spots for a few days and see if it looks like the place for buddy and I to hit this SEP. Oh, we'll probably lock down potential backwoods camp spots if we like what we see/find (perhaps cut/stack a bit of wood for the little tipi stove).
WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ