Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

How to find packers in Western Montana

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

How to find packers in Western Montana

Postby GoGriz1234 » 07 13, 2018 •  [Post 1]

Howdy all,

I have been trying to figure out how to find a packer in Western Montana who would pack in my camp, maybe 8 miles in, and then pack it back out two weeks later. Anyone have any idea what the pricing range should be as well? I am thinking a wall tent, a stove, some cots, sleeping bags, etc. and then hopefully an elk or two on the way out. I have been looking around the google, but I am not finding anything that has pointed me in the right direction so far.

Thanks!
GoGriz1234

First Name: Jeff
Last Name: Marshall

Re: How to find packers in Western Montana

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 07 13, 2018 •  [Post 2]

Jeff, not sure if outfits do that (pack in large camp items)? I know you can work out horse packing in/out with an outfitter for a DIY Hunt package but I really don’t know beyond that. Hoping Indian Summer, Bearpaw, or Lsb will chime in on your question.
WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ

Postby saddlesore » 07 14, 2018 •  [Post 3]

I know a few that use to do it in Colorado, but they are hard to find now. Not enough money in it for them. Drop camps where you use all their gear is more profitable.Don't know of MT has an Outfitters registry, but I would start there.
It' is even hard to find one that will go in and just pack your elk out. I know of one in CO, but know several that won't.
saddlesore
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

Postby Lefty » 07 14, 2018 •  [Post 4]

Looking through local packers might be a start.http://www.montanaoutfitters.org/find-an-outfitter/

But its also possible to find young "cowboys" willing to pack you in. If an outfitter cant or doesn't; ask if there is a HS kid that will do it for you. A lot of HS kids would love to take a couple days off of school just to be in the mountains .
I taught a a Jr High School in northern Utah 1/3 of some classes were gone to work outfits,. I had 8th grade boys (oopps and couple girls) that were incredible with stock.
Lefty

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Postby Lsb » 07 15, 2018 •  [Post 5]

Where are you looking at going? I don't want to know what trail head but "Western Montana" is a lot of country.
Lsb

Postby Indian Summer » 07 15, 2018 •  [Post 6]

For starters where in western Montana? Nearest town?
Indian Summer
Wapiti Hunting Consultant

First Name: Joe
Last Name: Ferraro

Postby GoGriz1234 » 07 15, 2018 •  [Post 7]

Thanks for the input all - Indian Summer, the closest town would be Hamilton.
GoGriz1234

First Name: Jeff
Last Name: Marshall

Postby Indian Summer » 07 15, 2018 •  [Post 8]

I know every outfitter in that area personally. Bow or gun?

To be honest it will be tough. Most are booked solid. But if you are flexible on dates it’s possible. The tough part will be getting elk packed out. Obviously you can plan ahead for dates to pack in and out but it’s impossible to know when you might kill an elk. From mid gun season on you might have time to let an elk hang. But in bow season and early gun you need to get them to camp or a processor right away. Hamilton Packing owned by Marty and Kim Auch is THE place to go. 406-961-3861. Just north of Hamilton on the east side of highway 93 across from the Yamaha dealer.

Tell me your dates and I’ll let you know what I can do for camp packing. But you best be ready to back pack elk quarters.

Also.....8 miles is far. Probably too far. I hope you know something about your area before you find yourself 8 miles from your vehicle in an area that’s not worth spending a day in let alone 2 entire weeks.

You should PM me your exact area and I can probably help more. My brother lives in Hamilton and I know every freakin hill and hole from there to hell and back. I outfitted the Bitterroots for 12 years and hunted them for 30. Punched 13 tags in a row there at one point.
Indian Summer

Postby Indian Summer » 07 15, 2018 •  [Post 9]

One more thing.... I assume you have the permit for the unit you plan to hunt. All of the units in the Root require a unit specific permit. If you PM let me know.

Whatever you do.... do NOT try to find “some cowboy” to pack you in. Unless a person is licensed to provide services on National Forest that is not legal. It’s a small world out there and news travels fast. Anyone who hunts knows who the outfitters are and if they saw the town drunk or local cattle rancher packing elk for an unfamiliar face you could find yourself in a world of um..... elkduds.
Indian Summer

Postby Lefty » 07 15, 2018 •  [Post 10]

Indian Summer wrote:,... Unless a person is licensed to provide services on National Forest that is not legal. It’s a small world out there and news travels fast. Anyone who hunts knows who the outfitters are and if they saw the town drunk or local cattle rancher packing elk for an unfamiliar face you could find yourself in a world of um..... elkduds.

And I gave some bad, incomplete info,.. Be clear on on the licensing part and state law.
As I mentioned I taught at a school where a large portion of the school population was working during the hunting seasons, Big Utah ranch country. Girls were cooks and maids, boys wrangled stock. And most of those kids one way or another fit with in the outfitters ( family ) service. It was an open discussion those boys would pack on public land cheap.
Ive been the beneficiary of some great long term friendships and hunting partners, And some for the day just friendly good-deed exchanges.
Unfortunately from my perspective some law makes a gray line even more indistinguishable.
Idaho guiding laws are not an exception either.
Guiding is defined by Idaho Statute, at 36-2102 (c):
"Guide" is any natural person who is employed by a licensed outfitter to furnish personal services for the conduct of outdoor recreational activities directly related to the conduct of activities for which the employing outfitter is licensed. Any such person not employed by a licensed outfitter who offers or provides facilities or services as specified in subsection (b) of this section shall be deemed in violation of the provisions of this chapter,
Lefty

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Postby Indian Summer » 07 16, 2018 •  [Post 11]

Received your PM and replied. Good luck.
Indian Summer