Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Poachers

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Poachers

Postby Swede » 07 16, 2018 •  [Post 1]

It has been rare that I have found poachers or evidence of poaching during the elk hunting season.
Some years ago I found a dead cow elk left near the road, and several deer around my hunting area that were shot and left. At first I thought it an unfortunate accident, the animals were not recovered. That was until I mentioned it to a couple of "hunters" I met in the area. They knew all about everything I had run into, and added some more. They had some very detailed information, including the time of the kills, a where the elk was crossing a road 1/3 mile away when shot. Soon after I noticed they were cutting wood day after day, dropping the snags across a fence, and not repairing it. They had no Forest Service tags for the wood they hauled away either.
That pair were beyond strange. They kept an aggressive acting Doberman in their camp on a rope. I called the State game warden to report them.
When I was at work in the forest, I ran into evidence of poaching several times in my career, but it was not common.
Have you ever come upon a poacher or evidence of poaching? What did you do?
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Re: Poachers

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 07 16, 2018 •  [Post 2]

Hunted a WA Wilderness area many years ago. We set up/camped just outside of the boundary and hiked in each day either from base camp, or, from driving a bit and hitting one of the various access trails. At any rate, one of the guys at camp and I decided to do a deep climb/dive, travel and hunt through a large chunk of the area, and drop down on a road and hope to get a ride back (we ended up hiking over 8ish miles that day in the backcountry, dropping down to the road via a trail at dark, and walking another two hours up the road after dark before getting a lift back to camp). Once about a mile back in, re ran into two young fellers sitting on a rock outcropping that our access game trail traveled over. We spoke with them a bit and they told us where they were camping back in the area (in a meadow system we knew about another a mile further E into the area). We asked them if they’d done any good and they said no. At that point my buddy asked “well, what’s that dried blood on your pack from”? “Oh, that”, the guy answered, “is from a cow a guy we know arrowed down lower a few days ago”. They went off hunting and as did Herb and I. We traveled past their camp and it was a mess of tarps and discarded food containers. Point of interest is they left most of that junk (including the tarps) when they left… Herb and I headed south from their camp above the meadow system back on our original trek. Once we got past the meadow system, we investigated a spot in the huckleberry brush (perhaps 500 yards from their camp) where crows/ravens were congregating and making a great deal of racket. There was an arrow kill calf laying there with “portions” of the hind quarters and back straps removed (this was a 3 PT bull or better area). We figured it was probably those two guys but never saw them again (it seems, they moved out that same evening). Another buddy and I traveled past the same area the next day and nobody was home but as mentioned, all their tarps/trash were left. There wasn’t a whole lot we could do about it as we didn’t have their names, didn’t have any of their vehicle information, and none of the other base campers down off the main road knew anything about them. Too bad; such a waste. It was a shame to see that those jokers shot a calf (illegally) for probably camp meat, and, just cut off a few chunks.
WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ

Postby saddlesore » 07 16, 2018 •  [Post 3]

I have turned several in thru the years.Co has a Hot Tip line. The problem is it isn't manned during the weekend.So by the time they get interested in it ,it is too late.
saddlesore
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

Postby wawhitey » 07 16, 2018 •  [Post 4]

For a few years, there would be doe carcasses dumped off every now and then off the side of the road on a chunk of dnr land, all intact except backstraps missing. Would happen a few times per year. I was thinking about buying a cell camera to try to catch the dirtbag. I was pretty sure i knew who it was. Anyway, he moved, and no more carcasses. Go figure. Sure hes doing the same thing wherever he moved to. Hopefully he gets busted one of these days.
Real eyes realize real lies
wawhitey

Postby Lefty » 07 16, 2018 •  [Post 5]

I had heard a rifle shot and snuck down to where I could see some guys around a moose at small pond.
I had seen enough and was going to head to the CO house.
Aconservation officer stepped out of the woods ,.. recognized me and said I was good to go and that he had help on the way. Meth heads with guns :evil:

I had been watching a herd of elk A white car came down the road, a few rifel shots fired, the car left. I called the CO. The car came back with a pickup. they left.The CO and I looked for a kill or indication of a hit but nothing.
Lefty
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Postby ishy » 07 16, 2018 •  [Post 6]

During an Idaho late archery season we came upon a guy with blood to his elbows and a rifle over his shoulder. We knew we were close to the border with Washington, but also knew we were in Idaho. He claimed to have a "dedicated sportsman" tag which is a legit tag- they just don't have a way to weed out poachers I guess. He was careful to spin a tail of multiple shots and long tracking job. This was an hour after first light. We just happened to know a Fish and Game officer lived in the area and checked in with him later. He told us he heard the shots (two quick ones) and figured someone was just shooting coyotes. Being as close to the border as we were he said there was no way to prosecute unless we saw him pull the trigger.
ishy

First Name: Bryan
Last Name: L

Postby Jhg » 07 19, 2018 •  [Post 7]

I don't have much respect for poachers or those who break game laws. I have found, in one particular area I hunt, 18 different sites where animals were taken illegally. The wildlife officer has advised me not to say too much about them since its an open case. However, what I want to say is that it only takes one or two individuals, or an unscrupulous outfitter, to do a lot of damage. It is important we pass on sound hunting ethics to the children we mentor and demonstrate to whoever we hunt with those same values of respect and appreciation for game laws. Speak up against and discouage behavior that sets the stage for anyone to "bend the rules". Peer pressure matters. Stand up for what you love, even when its not easy to do so.
Jhg