Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Colorado advice

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Colorado advice

Postby Elkhntr08 » 07 17, 2018 •  [Post 1]

Well, between working around here, getting ready for retirement and wife’s obligations, I’m now down to Colorado 3rd season. I’ve hunted this unit during archery season, so I’m not going in blind.
Just wondering if it’s worth the drive out. I know it’ll be elk hunting, but you still want a shot a seeing something. I have the gear to deal with the the weather and really want to go. What would you do? After this year it will be smooth sailing for hunting a couple states a year. I just really need a boast to get excited about 3rd season.
Elkhntr08

Re: Colorado advice

Postby six » 07 17, 2018 •  [Post 2]

I hunted 3rd season a couple years in a row due to family obligations. It's better than not elk hunting at all. Biggest difference was the weather. Mt Dew froze inside the tent. The hose from the water bladder was good for about 30 minutes before freezing. Learned to blow back the water each time I got a drink. Sandwiches froze in my pack.

Passed some elk the first day. Glassed 300 elk on private ground while I was on state land.
Elk are where you find em...
six

First Name: Mark
Last Name: Cool

Postby Fridaythe13th » 07 17, 2018 •  [Post 3]

It's your call. But I kick myself for starting 10 years to late and we went every other year for 8 years. It took me all most 20 years to figure it out. If elk hunting is your passion then go elk hunting.
Why we started elk hunting a good friend of my dads went to Colorado every 4th season, the only season he would go because he had a spot less than a half a mile from the truck and the elk would migrate from the high country. the worse the weather the better the hunting. He pulled some nice bulls off that mountain.
Fridaythe13th

First Name: Eric
Last Name: S

Postby saddlesore » 07 17, 2018 •  [Post 4]

What game management unit are you contemplating.That makes all the world of difference. If it's a unit where migration hunts are productive, 3rd season is iffy depending on when the snow/cold starts. If it's a unit that typically gets a lot of snow,access can be iffy. Colorado elk hunting is widely diversified. Need more information.

One thing though,if you are not outfitted for cold and snow ,that would be deal breaker. If you are thinking and OTC tag, hunting pressure will be a lot more than what you experienced in archery season
saddlesore
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

Postby Elkhntr08 » 07 17, 2018 •  [Post 5]

I have the gear, so that’s not an issue. Looking at Unit 80 just outside of South Fork. Have talked with some of the locals about winter range and know where the road kill areas are. Have 3 or 4 spots in mind for glassing points.
Elkhntr08

Postby js80138 » 07 18, 2018 •  [Post 6]

I spent the first 5 years hunting 4th rifle. I continued hunting that season because it was all I knew. Last year we decided to go 3rd rifle. I don't know that I will ever go back to 4th rifle unless it is the only option. You know the weather going into any season can be a crap shoot but I found 3rd was less severe than 4th season. Specifically the depth of the snow. The roads leading to the units were passable as well and that wasn't always the case in 4th. Elk had started to come down to lower elevations as well. Strange as it may seem all the small stores and processors that are open for hunting were still open in 3rd and that again isn't the case for 4th. One other thing, we harvested a 6x6.

I realize you didn't ask for a comparison between 3rd and 4th however I want you to know 3rd is better than 4th and much better than not going. Get excited there are plenty of elk to be taken and this could be the best season you ever had. I can't wait for 3rd.
js80138

Postby CurlyTail » 07 18, 2018 •  [Post 7]

I 100% guarantee that you will not harvest an Elk if you stay at home.

Of course you should go Elk Hunting. There is never a guarantee, but embrace the uncertainty, and make it fun. The snow may help you by allowing tracking. The rifle may help your odds as well. The weather is a crap shoot any time of the year. Last year I had terrible winter weather in Wyoming during archery season. Was still a good trip.

Just get it in your brain that there will be other hunters to contend with and just don't let it bother you. Maybe one of the competition will push some elk in front of you.

I would not miss an Elk season if you have a choice.
CurlyTail

First Name: Jim
Last Name: B.

Postby Jhg » 07 19, 2018 •  [Post 8]

20180719_131305.jpg
20180719_131305.jpg (271.17 KiB) Viewed 4988 times
I love hunting 4th season. 3rd is my next choice. The cold, the snow, I love the difference from archery. But I also have a nice 72 Mitchell truck camper that makes nights cozy. Anyway, without knowing where you are going, don't discount hunting timber. I use aperture sights, tag out every year while everyone else sits around glassing the opens. YMMV.
Jhg

Postby Jhg » 07 19, 2018 •  [Post 9]

20180719_131622.jpg
20180719_131622.jpg (564.13 KiB) Viewed 4988 times
Exactly 12 months later. Same cow elk. Snowed 8 inches the next day...
Jhg

Postby Jhg » 07 19, 2018 •  [Post 10]

PART_1479421385755_20161117_074837.jpg
PART_1479421385755_20161117_074837.jpg (105.38 KiB) Viewed 4988 times
Same area another year. As others have already said: Go Elk Hunting!
Jhg

Postby Elkduds » 07 21, 2018 •  [Post 11]

Jhg, that Savage 99 is a beauty. What cal?
Elkduds

Last Name: Scott

Postby Jhg » 07 21, 2018 •  [Post 12]

Its a 1960 99F .308. A tack driver with a scope and good ammo. But I like the peep sights. I am using a Merritt adjustable aperture. Super nice. I am a believer that you should love everything about the gun you hunt with and I sure love this one.
Jhg

Postby >>>---WW----> » 07 22, 2018 •  [Post 13]

Most elk are harvested on the very first day of the first limited draw season here in NW Colorado. Can't tell you much about unit 80 down south. But 3rd season can be OK or it can get fairly heavy snow. 4th season is a gamble for sure. You may think you have the equipment to handle Illinois weather but during the late seasons around here, when the sheriff or county road crew comes by and tells you to get out or come back next summer to get your gear, you should take their advice.

It doesn't happen all the time. But I have seen it several times in the past. This is in the hi country. And when it happens, all the elk can move out over night. You can still hunt the lower country though.
>>>---WW---->

Postby Jhg » 07 22, 2018 •  [Post 14]

>>>---WW----> wrote:..., when the sheriff or county road crew comes by and tells you to get out or come back next summer to get your gear, ...
Yup. Getting trapped, vehicle and all, is very real. Its important to choose an area you can escape from in a moments notice. Its super important to have weather news, but in the mountains local conditions are often unreported, so take that into account.
Jhg

Postby saddlesore » 07 22, 2018 •  [Post 15]

The top photo,we barely got out, 3rd season ,Co.Had to chain two trucks together to drag empty 20 ft goose neck stock trailer and then had to pony four mules out in back of pickup 6 miles.This was after a local brought in a skid loader to push the center out and chained two Humvees together to pull a diesel tank truck up out of the hole.

The lower photo,we were 7 miles back in on a barely passable two track when it was dry.Mid October, Colorado

image.jpg
image.jpg (60.81 KiB) Viewed 4913 times
saddlesore

Postby Elkduds » 07 22, 2018 •  [Post 16]

Reasons to choose 3rd season in CO: 9 day season including 2 full weekends, much longer than 1st/4th seasons. Fewer hunters than 2nd season. Better chance of snow than earlier seasons, tracking! Better chance of finding elk @ lower elevations. Cooler temps mean less pressure to pack meat ASAP. Leaves are off aspens, cottonwoods, oakbrush, better for glassing but worse for stalking close.

It can snow heavily in Nov, as it can in Oct. For the last 5 years @ least, there has not been heavy or lasting snow during 2nd/3rd seasons for almost all of CO. In fact most hunters have said weather has been too dry for several autumns, including me.
Elkduds

Last Name: Scott

Postby Elkhntr08 » 07 22, 2018 •  [Post 17]

All my gear fits in a Plano box on the back rack of my quad. I leave the truck low and ride back in on quad. Set up base then spike out from there. Put this together back in 2009 when I thought I’d have to leave the truck north of Yellowpine in Idaho.
Pretty much had me convinced at the 100% guarantee of no hunt no elk. Heck, if things go south, the wife has me carrying a SPOT.
Elkhntr08