Elk Hunt Focus/Resolve?

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Elk Hunt Focus/Resolve?

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 07 19, 2018 •  [Post 1]

Date: Late September
Time: Mid-Morning
State: An elk state
Season: Stick n String
Tags in pocket: Elk (any bull); Deer (MD buck only).
Solo Hunt
Hunting Pressure: Minimal

Many of us head into our annual elk hunt time period with two or more active big game tags in our pockets. While you're on your elk hunt, do you/would you take a deer, bear, cougar if you have a tag if the opportunity surfaces? Let's say for the purpose of this super scientific discussion, you "are" into elk this fine September morning and are moving in on at least two vocal bulls (with the wind in your favor at the moment). As you stall for a moment to listen to the elk choir perhaps a few hundred yards ahead of you, this fine fellow pictured below appears and stops well within your bow range. Do you/would you take this guy home for dinner or is your focus solely on the elk hunt at hand? FYI, you do have a deer hunt blocked off on your calendar for the third week of November. Just throwing this out to see what your thought process is during an elk hunt, with additional legal tags in your pocket, if given an opportunity at a non elk species.

MD 1.png
MD 1.png (1.35 MiB) Viewed 8072 times
WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ

Re: Elk Hunt Focus/Resolve?

Postby Lsb » 07 19, 2018 •  [Post 2]

I'm sticking with the elk. Plus he looks like a young deer to me.
Lsb

Postby lamrith » 07 19, 2018 •  [Post 3]

Another RJ special in this one!

The fact I am moving in on vocal elk with wind in my favor is a primary deciding factor on this one. With that in mind I am giving him a pass. Any other situation, brown going down.

That said, lets complete the picture..
You say mid morning, are those elk moving to bed, or are they already bedded? Do we know were bed is, and is it approachable or are we dogging them with plans to wait for them to rise in the evening?
How deep in the rabbit hole have you taken us RJ, are we a mile in, or a few hundred yards off the road (quick gutless method, get deer to camp on ice and back in 1-2hrs to complete the double play)?

For those of you letting him walk, what are your tactical plans to get around this buck without spooking him potentially into the bulls you are moving on? Better have a plan as if not handled right, he could run right toward your elk and spook them off, and you are left with nothing.
'15 Elite E35. 30.5", 67#
100Gr. G5 montecs
Sportsman's Vital Impact 300spine

http://www.pelletpeddler.com
lamrith

First Name: Larry

Postby Tigger » 07 19, 2018 •  [Post 4]

I don't know if you searched for a buck that is just....so....close to being a big buck, but that buck is really right on the border. Any bigger and he gets augered. Any smaller and I easily give him the pass.

I think Lamrith has an excellent point on what you are going to do about him if you don't shoot him. Those are the kinds of things that come up and an alert hunter deals with them and a weekend warrior goofs up both the deer and the elk!
Tigger

Postby saddlesore » 07 19, 2018 •  [Post 5]

When I am elk hunting ,I am hunting elk.The only time I shoot deer if I had a deer tag in my pocket was riding back to camp from the hunting area to camp.Sort of a ride by shooting affair
saddlesore
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

Postby Lefty » 07 19, 2018 •  [Post 6]

Im shooting.

This year Ill wait until October rifle to shoot a deer.
Lefty
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Postby Elkhunttoo » 07 20, 2018 •  [Post 7]

Hmmm, I didn't know there was a difference between an "alert hunter" and a "weekend warrior" in hunting skills and abilities ???? I understand what you were trying to get at just a weird choice of words for me. I know a vet that hunts just weekends because that is all he can get. In the last 3 years I think he has hunted a total of 5 days or so and has taken 3 6 point bulls with his bow.

If I have a tag that is open in November I would probably hang tight and let this buck move on. If I don't have that tag it is a no brainer to me. Shoot this buck, and in the 1/2 hour I'm giving him, shoot one of the singing bulls. ;)

18 years ago I was with a guy that shot a buck just about like this one, we thought he hit it a little back so we kept elk hunting for the morning and gave the deer some time. An hour and a half later he shot a 5 point bull. We gutted the bull out and went back and the deer had only gone about 100 yards and piled up... cleaned it out and then went and got the horses. A few days later he killed a bear with his bow.
Elkhunttoo

Postby Fridaythe13th » 07 20, 2018 •  [Post 8]

Mule deer, it's on my bucket list. I'm shooting marking the spot on my GPS go over the hill scare some elk away because that's what I do. Lol.... go back and take care of a nice buck. Whitetail buck no shot for me.
Fridaythe13th

First Name: Eric
Last Name: S

Postby ElkNut1 » 07 20, 2018 •  [Post 9]

With that Nov rut hunt to look forward to it's a no brainer for me, I'm elk hunting!

ElkNut/Paul
ElkNut1
ElkNut/Paul

Postby Elkhntr08 » 07 20, 2018 •  [Post 10]

If I have a vocal bull, I’m elk hunting. If I’m looking for a vocal bull, the buck’s in trouble. I know I can break him down quick and pack him out. Be a good warmup for the bull.
Elkhntr08

Postby CurlyTail » 07 20, 2018 •  [Post 11]

I remain focused on the Elk.
CurlyTail

First Name: Jim
Last Name: B.

Postby Tigger » 07 20, 2018 •  [Post 12]

I used the term "weekend warrior" to describe someone who doesn't take hunting too seriously and doesn't have the sharpest of skills. It really has nothing to do with the days of the week that you hunt (at least in my lizard brain!). It isn't really even a derogatory term in my mind....just someone who is way more casual than the hopelessly addicted specimens that some of us have become.
Tigger

Postby Elkhunttoo » 07 20, 2018 •  [Post 13]

That's kinda what I figured you were getting at.
Elkhunttoo

Postby Indian Summer » 07 21, 2018 •  [Post 14]

I’m shooting. I can dress out a deer REALLY FAST! So I don’t have to completely pass on the elk to tag that buck. He is worthy of an arrow too.
Indian Summer
Wapiti Hunting Consultant

First Name: Joe
Last Name: Ferraro

Postby Trumkin the Dwarf » 07 21, 2018 •  [Post 15]

Ya'll are underselling that buck. He's at least 20 inches across, and that mass is special for a buck that age. I shoot a freaking recurve as well, so I'm taking the chip shot and getting bucky to the cooler on the double. Like Joe said, I can dress a deer really fast!

Maybe it isn't the biggest buck out there, but unless I've set my heart on a monster that fall, he gets an arrow.
Trumkin the Dwarf

First Name: Malachi
Last Name: C

Postby ElkNut1 » 07 21, 2018 •  [Post 16]

Hmm, it's pretty apparent some here haven't hunted a Muley rut, you guys have no idea what you're missing. I agree there's nothing wrong with that buck but remember Rory said you have a Nov Deer tag! During the rut that buck is a throw back, you'll see 10 of him in 2-3 days!

ElkNut/Paul
ElkNut1
ElkNut/Paul

Postby Trumkin the Dwarf » 07 21, 2018 •  [Post 17]

ElkNut1 wrote:Hmm, it's pretty apparent some here haven't hunted a Muley rut, you guys have no idea what you're missing. I agree there's nothing wrong with that buck but remember Rory said you have a Nov Deer tag! During the rut that buck is a throw back, you'll see 10 of him in 2-3 days!

ElkNut/Paul

Take me where you hunt, Paul! MT is all rut hunts for mule deer... a lot of bucks don't make it past forkhorn status. I have shot bigger with my rifle, and hunted 7 days before taking smaller as well.
Trumkin the Dwarf

First Name: Malachi
Last Name: C

Postby ElkNut1 » 07 21, 2018 •  [Post 18]

Ha Ha, sounds like I'd best keep it to myself! :D

ElkNut/Paul
ElkNut1
ElkNut/Paul

Postby cohunter » 07 21, 2018 •  [Post 19]

I'm with Paul here... he's not a big mulie. I'm primarily looking for elk and unless it's the last day of the November deer season, this guy's getting a pass. I'll admit it - when I'm hunting for mulies I'm looking at horns. Especially here in CO where deer tags are hard to draw. :roll:
cohunter

Postby ishy » 07 22, 2018 •  [Post 20]

I'm passing for deer, bear unless it's not cutting into elk prime times. If on my way back to the rig and close to a road, maybe but more than likely I will pass. Now mountain lion I have taken during elk season and will again if another one gives me another 20 yard shot in a heart beat.
ishy

First Name: Bryan
Last Name: L

Postby elkstalker » 07 23, 2018 •  [Post 21]

I have a few deer that are bigger than him, and I love hunting mulies in the rut. Here in MT I can always take a whitetail or two for meat if I need to. I'm passing and continuing my pursuit of bugling bulls!
elkstalker

Postby six » 07 23, 2018 •  [Post 22]

I'm shooting. I only get 7 or 8 days to hunt out west each year. Momma always smiles when I bring home some meat.
Elk are where you find em...
six

First Name: Mark
Last Name: Cool

Postby Beendare » 07 23, 2018 •  [Post 23]

That buck would have to be 190ish for me to screw up an elk hunt.

Those dang high Mtn mules are practically inedible to me. I had one decades ago that made the ice cubes in my freezer taste like sage brush
[yeah, granted, might not have been the best freezer /grin] but I will take any elk over MD any day.
“It takes no more time to see the good side of life.... than to see the bad.”
― Jimmy Buffett

"Everybody has a plan....until they get punched in the mouth" Mike Tyson

"
Beendare
Wapiti Hunting Archery Gear/Tactics

Postby Roosiebull » 07 24, 2018 •  [Post 24]

ElkNut1 wrote:With that Nov rut hunt to look forward to it's a no brainer for me, I'm elk hunting!

ElkNut/Paul

I used to be a more opportunistic hunter, and would happily shoot anything I had a tag for, but if I'm archery hunting deer, I don't want an early season buck, I want to hunt them in Nov, I cherish my blacktail hunting, and don't want to fill my buck tag "on accident "

I will no longer shoot a bear while elk hunting, unless it's a very unique scenario.

I will ALWAYS shoot a lion if I have a tag in my pocket (which I always do unless I had killed 2 that year)
Roosiebull

Postby ElkNut1 » 07 24, 2018 •  [Post 25]

OK, I'm going to qualify my comment on not taking that buck, I have good reason! I've taken 25 muley bucks with a bow & a couple nice bucks with a rifle so it's not like I haven't already been blessed with one or three. Now if I was a guy (I used to be) that had not taken one with a bow or very many then I'd have to admit I'd seriously consider dumping him! I do love that Nov Rut though, you're getting tricky Rory! Ha Ha!

ElkNut/Paul
ElkNut1
ElkNut/Paul

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 07 24, 2018 •  [Post 26]

Just trying to keep the elk chat going while we patiently wait for wapiti season Paul ;). No right or wrong answers on the thread; it just depends on personal preference. Myself, I won't shoot a deer on an archery elk hunt unless a. he's a monster (hasn't happened yet) or b. he's so darn close to the road/truck that getting him out will not significantly disrupt the elk hunt at hand (including the time to get him down to the processor). He is a pretty darn nice buck to take with a bow though ;) . The time I schedule for my elk hunt is just that, time to hunt elk. As I mentioned in the OP, you have a NOV week blocked off on calendar to hunt deer in the rut so I'm coming back in NOV (with a rifle in many states) and try to get a shot at that young buck's uncle 8-).
WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ

Postby scubohuntr » 07 24, 2018 •  [Post 27]

He's out in the open, apparently between me and the bulls. That means he's quite likely to blow the bulls out when he spooks. It really depends on how confident I am that I can get on those bulls, and how much time I have to hunt this season. On a MD buck only tag, he's definitely catching an arrow. On a Montana tag that's good for whitetails too, maybe not. Oh hell, I'm shooting him every time. He's nicer than any buck I'm likely to get a chance at later on. I'm still not convinced that elk actually exist anyway.
scubohuntr