Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Hey you dirt bag, that's "MY" elk!

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Hey you dirt bag, that's "MY" elk!

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 07 23, 2018 •  [Post 1]

Has anybody had a bear (or even another predator) lay claim to their elk kill before you had completely packed all the meat back to camp? Were you able to get the slime bag off your kill, or, did you have to just call it a day and sacrifice the rest of the meat to the predator?
WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ

Re: Hey you dirt bag, that's "MY" elk!

Postby lamrith » 07 23, 2018 •  [Post 2]

Nope, just lets me notch another tag, specially if I am in ID were the canines are open game too.

If it is legal to harvest, I am notching another tag. one less serving of tag soup and don't even have to work that hard to get in range...
'15 Elite E35. 30.5", 67#
100Gr. G5 montecs
Sportsman's Vital Impact 300spine

http://www.pelletpeddler.com
lamrith

First Name: Larry

Postby Tigger » 07 23, 2018 •  [Post 3]

Nope. Both bulls last year were in extremely prime grizzly country, but we packed them both out right away. We did have to walk back to the quarters of the second bull in the timber as light was fading but my buddies had moved them a couple hundred yards away from the kill site. We still kept our eyes open.

I had a pine marten want a piece of my first bull. He was patient though and kindly waited until we were gone.
Tigger

Postby saddlesore » 07 23, 2018 •  [Post 4]

I had six bald eagles eat all the back strap and part of a hind quarter of an elk I shot. I also had an old sow drag around a frozen front quarter of an elk.She gave up and went back to the gut pile though that was not frozen solid
saddlesore
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

Postby Beendare » 07 23, 2018 •  [Post 5]

I've got one buddy thats the only guy I know that has shot a wolf with his bow....shot it off the carcass of his elk.

The same guy used to hunt around the park and the last 2 times he shot decent bulls....but the Grizz were on them so quick he couldn't get the meat out. In one case 3 bears were on the carcass in a little over an hour. He says he would still be hunting there if it weren't for those pesky grizzlies.
______

I've never had an elk stolen but had 2 golden eagles eat the back hams out of a big muley in Grand mesa NF. I had to leave it hang overnight, when coming back to the high tight draw where I hung the meat the eagles spooked at about 10 yds and they were so full of meat they swung in on us coming up the tight draw at chest height not able to climb and we had to dive out of the way. I will never forget that....awesome birds.
_______

I've had grizzlies on carcasses on Kodiak many times. I will never forget my first trip there and I was telling my buddy I wanted to see a Brownie...he said, "NO, you don't". This was back when a guy could shoot 5 bucks. It was my buddies 3rd, I think, we were packing them right after we shot them. I helped him pack the meat back to camp, we had a sandwich and went back out on the ridge across from his kill....about 120 yds away. As we got closer it was obvious a brownie had already found the kill as he had mowed down and dug up a 30' circle and piled up a huge mound of dirt on the carcass.

I told my buddy, 'thats crazy he could pile up that much dirt' ...and he said, 'that ain't dirt'...and he was right. A huge dark brown bear the size of a VW beetle was laying on top of the carcass. We sat and watched him for awhile as that was the first brownie I had seen that close....and he would get up....toss the bones in the air.....gnaw on them...then lay back down. It didn't take long for me to bump another brownie the next day crossing a alder choked canyon...but I digress.
_____

I've seen carcasses where blackies get on them and just make a total mess crapping all over....pretty gross.
“It takes no more time to see the good side of life.... than to see the bad.”
― Jimmy Buffett

"Everybody has a plan....until they get punched in the mouth" Mike Tyson

"
Beendare
Wapiti Hunting Archery Gear/Tactics

Postby Lefty » 07 24, 2018 •  [Post 6]

Not I.

On any big game.
Lefty

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Postby Fridaythe13th » 07 24, 2018 •  [Post 7]

Not me. But a buddy of mine from Wisconsin went to Colorado with his bow a deer and elk tag. One of the 1st night sitting buy a water hole a nice mule buck came in, made a good shot waited his 30 minutes found blood and followed right to his buck he took some pictures ( with aid from his clip shot) before it got to dark. he was gutting it out when he happened to hear something right behind him a black bear standing on his bow. He starts yelling and back away real slow the bear never moved. Headed back to camp without his bow. Not wanting to go back with his partner that night they waited till morning. Next day they made it back to a half gutted half eaten mule deer with bear poop all over including on his new bow. Good cover scent right. Now he carries a side arm for good reason.
Fridaythe13th

First Name: Eric
Last Name: S

Postby Jhg » 07 24, 2018 •  [Post 8]

After I kill an elk, I build an impenetrable wall around the spot using a liquid deterent I make myself. Works every time if I can make enough... not lost any game to scavengers of any kind, man nor beast.
Jhg

Postby elkstalker » 07 24, 2018 •  [Post 9]

I had a fox nibble on a quarter once, funny story, as I was hiking back up for my second load (killed, gutted and hung the evening before) down the trail came this fox with a lower leg in his mouth, it was almost as big as he was but by gosh he was taking it with him! :lol:
elkstalker

Postby Lefty » 07 25, 2018 •  [Post 10]

elkstalker wrote:I had a fox nibble on a quarter once, funny story, as I was hiking back up for my second load (killed, gutted and hung the evening before) down the trail came this fox with a lower leg in his mouth, it was almost as big as he was but by gosh he was taking it with him! :lol:

Fox really go for it. While on a fishing trip in Isle royal we had a fox grab three northern pike about 20 lbs total. That fox was an expert at grabbing fish from a stringer.
Lefty

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H