Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Why scouting matters

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Why scouting matters

Postby Jhg » 07 24, 2018 •  [Post 1]

The subtlies in the elk woods are, no pun intended, enormous. A small seep, an invisible saddle, a long rotted deadfall offering a fussy bull a soft bed. These are just a few of the things you will not find on G-earth, or on a map. Remember, maps do not show incremental topography changes. Last season I hunted a very small saddle not shown on map or Earth. Below it about 30 yards was a seep that went back underground after only 20 yards. Easily missed even on foot, this spot was an elk bulletin board. Not a feed zone, not a bed area. This was a place elk visited to "touch base" as they crossed over 1/2 mile above the tail end of a long finger ridge. I blew a super chance at a beautiful 6x when waiting right there, by being complacent. (Another story for another day) So if you can, put the boots on and get out into the elk woods. Or hunt the same area year after year to build a knowledge base if you are from away. You will be glad you did. What small secret does your area hold that you could only find by booting it?
Jhg

Re: Why scouting matters

Postby Tigger » 07 24, 2018 •  [Post 2]

Not only the secret little gold mines, but boots on the ground will also tell you where NOT to hunt which can save you a day of no productivity. This is the first year I am able to hunt an area for the 2nd time. We have bounced around a lot and I am really looking forward to it.
Tigger

Postby saddlesore » 07 24, 2018 •  [Post 3]

What you don't want to do is go into an area like that 1-2 days before season. You are more than likely to bust any elk out of there and shift them over the ridge and maybe clean into the next drainage. Do that type of scouting in July or early August.

I can't count the number of times I have encountered elk hunters that say , "Gee Thursday or Friday there were a lot of elk right in here". DUH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
saddlesore
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

Postby Jhg » 07 24, 2018 •  [Post 4]

I had this notion early on that elk must live in the gnarliest places for security, so my scouting included all the absolute worst terrain imaginable I could find on a map. If it was hard to get to on top of being a ball buster once there, all the better. Eventually I became aware elk are not that stupid. They might go to these places if pushed hard, but generally, no. I skinned a lot of knee skin scouting where no elk ever walk given choice. I know better now (finally) but I had to "see it for myself" to learn it.
Jhg

Postby elkstalker » 07 24, 2018 •  [Post 5]

What you don't want to do is go into an area like that 1-2 days before season.

The day or two before the season opener I always try to stay out of the way, find a high point(s) and glass, glass, glass. At that point I'm just trying to refine my knowledge of where the elk are, what their patterns are, and how I can intercept them.
elkstalker

Postby Fridaythe13th » 07 25, 2018 •  [Post 6]

I'm so jealous. Not a chance for me to do any scouting 20 hour drive and way to busy.
Fridaythe13th

First Name: Eric
Last Name: S

Postby Tigger » 07 25, 2018 •  [Post 7]

Randy Newberg (Fresh Tracks with Randy Newberg TV Show) was talking on a podcast about how he has to go to a place without having been there. he only does DIY public land stuff. He has 5 days to shoot an elk on camera with about $20,000 on the line. Okay, setting is set. He made this statement which has stuck with me but I just have a hard time actually implementing it:

Randy: "I would trade a day of scouting for a day of hunting".

Obviously there are shades of grey on this statement but I think it underscores the importance of learning the land and the elk and not just barreling around with your bow in your hand (like I do-duh!).

For the area we will hunt this year, it is almost all dark timber. How do you scout that? There is very little glassing opportunity. Any thoughts would be appreciated!
Tigger

Postby ElkNut1 » 07 25, 2018 •  [Post 8]

When I scout new country my biggest concerns are the lay of the land. I want to see access areas & where it appears elk will head with pressure, pretty simple!

Randys advice is a rifle hunters viewpoint in more open/glassable country way over a bowhunter hunting the darker timber! Dark timber is all about calling from day 1. Although if I had 5 days to hunt I'd go from Sept 10th on.

ElkNut/Paul
ElkNut1
ElkNut/Paul

Postby Indian Summer » 07 25, 2018 •  [Post 9]

To me internet scouting is to maximize my time when I’m actually scouting. If I can go out pre season I will. My goal is to make sure I’m camped where I want to be. I don’t mind showing up 3 days prior to hunting to scout but nothing is worse than realizing you have to pull stakes and move camp. In my mind “internet scouting “ is just looking at topo maps. Staring at them. For hours.... days... weeks! But prior to that I rely on either my own experience in an adjacent or nearby area or word of mouth from a personal friend to tell me what maps to look at. Make no mistake though you can’t smell elk on maps so I would never hunt an area just based on online scouting.

One thing that amazes me is how one creek drainage can be good elk hunting and just over the ridge in the next canyon you’d think they were extinct. I know such a spot in Wyoming. As a matter of fact the one with no elk looks way better. Incredible mix of timber and meadows on benches above rocky bluffs. No outfitters around. Plan B way in the back looks like a dream. Me and a partner packed in there in horses and hunted it for 3 days splitting up to cover ground. Never saw an elk. No fresh sign. Dead! I’ve killed bulls just over top of the ridge to the south and can find them with great consistency. Whiskey tango foxtrot! Nothing but boots on the ground will tell you that.

So if you are completely unable to physically check your area out before going to hunt I would highly suggest not putting all of your hopes and dreams in one spot. Instead pick about 3 areas and come up with a solid detailed plan for each one. Cover a bunch of ground fast in the first 2 days and if you aren’t into elk move on. If none of them pan out go to the local bar and “network” over a beer. That’s probably better than anything you can do on the internet alone.
Indian Summer
Wapiti Hunting Consultant

First Name: Joe
Last Name: Ferraro

Postby Jhg » 07 29, 2018 •  [Post 10]

Part of my scouting includes the reality the I cannot roll with back to back to back big physically challenging days like I could. Not that I can't do what I did back in the day, but planning days that will be more recovery oriented help a lot. And I have as many opportunities because I have scouted with those "rest" days in mind.

Its interesting to hear how how we will be hunting determines how we scout. Where I hunt, finding these little niches that get passed by other hunters is a real benefit. Elk have learned to feel safe in these places. Experience tells them this. For whatever reason, hunters don't seem to pressure these spots even though they might hold elk. Use this to your advantage. If you don't over do it, these places will remain safe havens in the elks mind and continue holding elk every season.
These places have these things in common: short easy access, moderate terrain, and good ambush sites. Great for me when I need to rest my legs. I enjoy listening to the country, hearing the wind in the crown of the forest. I appreciate the chance to slow down. Having a nice bull ghost by where you are hidden is a real thrill.
Jhg

Postby saddlesore » 07 29, 2018 •  [Post 11]

I know three places in three different hunt areas that hold elk all the time during rifle season.I could go into anyone of them and kill an elk in one day. However, they are so nasty, I don't want to kill an elk that bad . No need to turn what is suppose to be fun into a terrible physical ordeal.
saddlesore
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

Postby Swede » 07 30, 2018 •  [Post 12]

saddlesore wrote:I know three places in three different hunt areas that hold elk all the time during rifle season.I could go into anyone of them and kill an elk in one day. However, they are so nasty, I don't want to kill an elk that bad . No need to turn what is suppose to be fun into a terrible physical ordeal.

That is probably hard for young hunters to understand, but I am with you on that. I did find myself scouting some places that I won't go back to regardless of the elk situation. I don't need an el that bad. Where I was, packing out of the location where I was standing would be bad enough, but there were place an elk could go, with a less than perfect hit, that would make things much worse. I was out 2 1/2 miles from the truck as the GPS measures it. That is too much of a pack out for me. Now if you could guarantee me a good bull on a cool day, with a couple more cool days coming right after: Maybe???
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics