Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

When And What Do You Eat?

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

When And What Do You Eat?

Postby Swede » 08 04, 2018 •  [Post 1]

I know this could be on some other forum, but the question is about the elk hunt.
When do you eat and what is on the menu?

I usually start with cold cereal and something quick for energy. It may be an energy bar or some cookies for breakfast. I really don't like to eat that early, but know I need something to get through the morning.
Depending on how long I plan to stay out, I may have a prepared lunch for my tree stand, or come in and cook my main meal. If I am by myself, it is a steak or hamburger plus the fixings. If others are in camp it can change. Sometimes the main meal is planned for the evening, so for lunch a couple of hot dogs or ???, some fruit and a cup of coffee, or soda will do.
Usually in the evening I heat up something, add some veggies and fruit then prepare for the next day.
I almost always have some trail mix with me when I leave for my daily hunt.

My meals are boring, so I am thinking about camping next to Saddlesore and see how charitable he is. Trouble is I don't have a mule or smoke pole. :D
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Re: When And What Do You Eat?

Postby saddlesore » 08 04, 2018 •  [Post 2]

Dinners are Ruebens, enchiladas, fajitas, chile beans w/ ham and cornbread,a few skillet dinners,green chili stew, spaghetti, elk steak and veges, elk hamburger and beans.

Breakfast is ham, eggs, hash browns, coffee. In a hurry I usually mix some steel cut rolled oats along with those instant flavored packs, and a fruit bar or two.Sometimes just cold ceral or pancakes and sausage.

If I am back early to camp, I'll make a desert in the dutch oven. Berry or peach cobbler with fresh sweet cream over it and whipped cream, pineapple upside down cake, or maybe just some cinnamon rolls

I'm up early and have to give the mules about an hour to eat anyway

Lunch will be jerky,granola bar,energy bar, candy bar, dried fruit, cheese or peanut butter crackers, and trail mix.If around camp on a slow day, I'll make some toasted cheese sandwiches stuffed with roasted green chiles.Kinda like a poor man's chile relleno ,and some soup
saddlesore
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

Postby Indian Summer » 08 04, 2018 •  [Post 3]

You guys need to go on an all inclusive cruise ship instead of hunting. I can’t eat at 4 am. I drink one bottle of Ensure protein drink. Vanilla. For dinner it’s a Mountain House. I will go into town twice for a good meal and a beer since it’s only 8 miles. Lunch is a sandwich. Maybe 2 throughout the day. A candy bar and a sweet and salty cashew granola bar. A small bag of chips and a piece of fruit. This is what a bag of chips looks like at 9000 feet. Ready to pop! They must bag them at sea level! Lol

Oh and I have a Jim Beam and Coke for dessert. Just one.
Attachments
01124185-1713-4594-9B57-EAA87660AC2B.jpeg
Indian Summer
Wapiti Hunting Consultant

First Name: Joe
Last Name: Ferraro

Postby Jhg » 08 04, 2018 •  [Post 4]

00V0V_jA8bgEYv8D3_600x450.jpg
00V0V_jA8bgEYv8D3_600x450.jpg (24.88 KiB) Viewed 2752 times
00w0w_bATerSp2HNH_600x450.jpg
00w0w_bATerSp2HNH_600x450.jpg (29.6 KiB) Viewed 2752 times
Early archery its hard to get enough sleep if you hunt dark to dark. Since I basecamp hunt a lot I can enjoy some nice food though without the prep time required.. But I hunt long hours, so most meals I pre-make before leaving home. Breakfast burritos, elk stew, corn chowder. Bisquits I bake as the main course warms up from its semi frozen state. Sometimes its hot cereal in the morning. Or a pp&j with milk. Banana to go. A powershake if I think I need the calories. I almost never return to camp before dark. Elk tags don't get filled in camp, though elk are known to wander through.
Jhg

Postby Roosiebull » 08 05, 2018 •  [Post 5]

"A hungry dog hunts better"

That is my motto. I will be camped out this year, and it sounds like we will be living on mtn house mainly
Roosiebull

Postby Lefty » 08 05, 2018 •  [Post 6]

Jhg wrote: Early archery its hard to get enough sleep if you hunt dark to dark.,,,,,,,,,
so most meals I pre-make before leaving home.,,,,,
though elk are known to wander through.

Camp time is for sleeping.

I keep some good food in camp enough for a couple extra days

30-60 minutes after leaving camp,.. a Mt dew or Rockstar then when eer I feel like it,.. mostly snacking all day
But some sort of fancy-smacy egg omelet sandwich that I made at home a day or two before
Those tuna/cracker boxes nut bars. Tuna packets, apples , plums, maybe fruit cups, sardines
As hungry as I may be I really limit the "cooking" or no cooking at all . My daughter made a Mt House a few times and I would eat the ends. If my wife is in camp she will warm up some soup or stew

Camp time is for sleeping.

I might sneak down to Colorado and set up beside Saddlesore's camp and invite myself over for lunch and dinner
Lefty

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Postby Lefty » 08 05, 2018 •  [Post 7]

Roosiebull wrote:"A hungry dog hunts better"

But not for long!!
Lefty

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Postby Navesgane » 08 06, 2018 •  [Post 8]

I pre cook a few pounds of bacon and put in ziplock bags for snaking throughout the day. This year I'm gonna bring some protein powder, almond flour, and meal supplement powder and make liquid meals throughout the day as well and a backpackers meal at night if needed. I don't like hunting or doing anything hungry.
Instagram @jeff.reilly1
Navesgane

First Name: Jeff

Postby Fridaythe13th » 08 06, 2018 •  [Post 9]

We hunt from a base camp so food is awesome. 5 am ish most days breakfast burritos, out in the field is usually granola bars, trail mix and apples. Gave up on pbj dont want to take the time to make. For supper the reason I love base camp. Steak, pork chops, salmon, marinated chicken, and some sort of pasta. All the meals come with vegetables, garlic bread or potatoes. And it gets better if it's not your night to do dishes. Sitting around a fire with a cocktail talking story's about the days hunt and planning tomorrow's. Only 5 weeks to D day or should I say E day
Fridaythe13th

First Name: Eric
Last Name: S