Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Calling in Lions?

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Calling in Lions?

Postby LarryBud » 08 06, 2018 •  [Post 1]

So my Son was up scouting yesterday for our Northern Colorado Archery Hunt he first week of Sept. He was going to set up up a game camera in our " A " spot and encountered two Kitty's. He claims one was > 150 lbs. He was in his truck at the time as they slowly walked toward his previous destination.

Has anyone ever called in a cat with cow calls? I guess I knew they are around all the time but this ads a new element to selecting a set up.
LarryBud

Re: Calling in Lions?

Postby Lsb » 08 06, 2018 •  [Post 2]

I called one in turkey hunting once. But never to my knowledge with cow calls all though it wouldn't surprise me if I did.
Lsb

Postby dotman » 08 06, 2018 •  [Post 3]

I’ve talked to a few people that say they have, personally I wouldn’t worry about it and just be aware of your surroundings as elk or anything else can come when you don’t expect it.
dotman

Postby Swede » 08 06, 2018 •  [Post 4]

I have never called in a lion, but have seen several over the years while out working or hunting.

For those that are interested, I would like to add to this thread that elk calling when scouting before the season is not a good idea. Based on the evidence I have seen, it is my conclusion that calling to elk before the season just educates them and makes it harder to get one when the season opens. Calling from a vehicle only exacerbates the problem. Once the elk associate calls to humans, they quit coming around regardless of how good you think you sound.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby Fridaythe13th » 08 06, 2018 •  [Post 5]

I agree not something to worry about. Just pay attention. The closest we have come to a kitty (that we knew of) was 1 of the members of our group left 10 minutes before us it rained that night there was cougar tracks in the mud on top of his.
Fridaythe13th

First Name: Eric
Last Name: S

Postby LarryBud » 08 06, 2018 •  [Post 6]

Swede wrote:I have never called in a lion, but have seen several over the years while out working or hunting.

For those that are interested, I would like to add to this thread that elk calling when scouting before the season is not a good idea. Based on the evidence I have seen, it is my conclusion that calling to elk before the season just educates them and makes it harder to get one when the season opens. Calling from a vehicle only exacerbates the problem. Once the elk associate calls to humans, they quit coming around regardless of how good you think you sound.

Thanks Swede. Just to be clear, there was no calling involved during the scouting, however, it was going to be where we started the season and now I know there’s a large lion who has also identified the area as a prime hunting location.

Hope he doesn’t mind the company.
LarryBud

Postby Lsb » 08 06, 2018 •  [Post 7]

LarryBud wrote:
Swede wrote:I have never called in a lion, but have seen several over the years while out working or hunting.

Thanks Swede. Just to be clear, there was no calling involved during the scouting, however, it was going to be where we started the season and now I know there’s a large lion who has also identified the area as a prime hunting location.

Hope he doesn’t mind the company.

Get a lion tag just in caae
Lsb

Postby Roosiebull » 08 08, 2018 •  [Post 8]

I call lions all winter, after work tonight when I have time, I will try to post the info I have picked up the last few years. Great activity, when it happens, there is NOTHING like watching a cat come in.
Roosiebull

Postby Indian Summer » 08 08, 2018 •  [Post 9]

Why would it influence your choice of setups? Lions are everywhere in elk country. Just because you actually saw one shouldn’t change anything. Hunters aren’t on the menu.
Indian Summer
Wapiti Hunting Consultant

First Name: Joe
Last Name: Ferraro

Postby dotman » 08 08, 2018 •  [Post 10]

^^^completely agree where I hunt in SW CO lions are very thick.
dotman

Postby Bowhunt3r » 08 08, 2018 •  [Post 11]

About 9 years ago, on one of my first elk hunts here in Utah I had a similar experience. I hiked up a trail about a half mile in the snow, I was pretty new to hunting elk so I had bought some elk fire and sprayed it on the soles of my boots. When I got up to a clearing I pulled out my handy-dandy Primos Elk Bugle and let one rip. Stood there for a minute without hearing anything, turned around to walk down the trail and I see an animal right in the middle of the trail crouched down low. At first, I thought "wow that's a big dog". I actually took a step towards it, then it stood up and I saw it was a full-grown cougar. Soon after it bounds off away from my kicking snow up in the air and jumping over the big sagebrush in the area. I still don't know if I brought it in, or if it was also just walking up the trail. But part of me thinks it could have been that elk fire I tracked up the mountain with me.
Bowhunt3r

Postby Roosiebull » 08 11, 2018 •  [Post 12]

LarryBud wrote:So my Son was up scouting yesterday for our Northern Colorado Archery Hunt he first week of Sept. He was going to set up up a game camera in our " A " spot and encountered two Kitty's. He claims one was > 150 lbs. He was in his truck at the time as they slowly walked toward his previous destination.

Has anyone ever called in a cat with cow calls? I guess I knew they are around all the time but this ads a new element to selecting a set up.

I think at this point you are best off just living with them, they don't make a living killing bow hunters, so it would be an irrational fear to have, if it makes you feel better, throw a glock 20 in a Blackhawk serpa holster on the waist belt of your pack, won't know it's there, easy piece of mind.

the off season is the time to get rid of lions, it's something to do, whole new learning process, and can be the most exciting hunting there is. when the season is over, set all your trail cams in the area you want to focus on, try to piece together their paths and programs, they use the same trails, ridges, etc, over and over.

you need a FoxPro (or similar) e-caller that accepts mp3 files, unless you want to do it the nearly impossible way (it's already hard enough) that WaWhitey does it and use hand calls, if hunting solo, I really think an e-caller is a big benefit, and you will need all the help you can get ;) .

rainshadow is a call company, check out his website, best lion calling resource there is, but you will want his "cougar package" it's a bunch of sounds to download onto your FoxPro, they are the best sounds available, and really work well.

lions want to approach from up above, so keep that in mind setting up, it's natural for us to want the advantage of elevation, but you have to give that up, or be crafty when setting up. lions can come in really slow too, calling sets should be at least 45 minutes, but better yet, over 60, and often 90 minutes if I have reason to believe a cat is around.

I have effectively made a big dent in one population of lions here locally, without hounds, it's very doable, but I think it's the hardest tag in the USA to fill on purpose, put some effort into it and you will find success. it's not a good activity for the easily discouraged....
Roosiebull