Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Scenario-what would you do?

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Scenario-what would you do?

Postby Jhg » 08 06, 2018 •  [Post 1]

You found a bull with 6-8 cows. He bugles a round up/tending bugle every couple minutes. You get within 50 yds and see him circling his group as he checks on the cows in a thick stand of young re-generating conifers in a old cutting. They leave you behind- its too thick to follow without getting busted. Later you re-locate the bunch and stalk within 50 yds again, but cannot close for a shot on the bull. He is literally in the center of his cows and at this time is not circling because he can sight check from his location. He bugles every 5 minutes or so. He is not tending any particular cow, just the whole group. What would you do? You have not heard or seen any satellite bulls. The bull is a nice one- mature bodied and heavy tined.
Jhg

Re: Scenario-what would you do?

Postby Swede » 08 06, 2018 •  [Post 2]

I would stay quiet if the wind is stable and wait. Calling; especially if he can see the location where you are hid, will spook him away. Calling at him in heavily hunted areas will also get him to move out with his cows. You did not say he and the cows were bedded, so I would assume he and the cows move around some. Get ready and be prepared so you can shoot when the opportunity appears. Some people seem to believe the universal answer is to start calling. What do I start making noise with? Patience and waiting can be more deadly in the right situation. I believe this is one of them.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby >>>---WW----> » 08 07, 2018 •  [Post 3]

Are they bedded up for the day??? If so, get within shooting range of one of the cows. Eventually the bull will get up and make the rounds to each cow checking for signs of estrus. When he comes to check the cow you are set up on, he is yours. This takes lots of patients on your part. But if you can do it, it works like a charm.
>>>---WW---->
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

Postby saddlesore » 08 07, 2018 •  [Post 4]

I guess I would try some soft cow mews, lone cow to see if I could lure him my way.This may be one of those situations where "cow in heat spray" atomized into the wind could help as long as he didn't catch your scent. For sure he is tending his cows and aggressive calling is going to push him away as it is obvious that there are no cows in estrus right then.

I think to do nothing is a sure thing for not getting an opportunity.
saddlesore

Postby Lefty » 08 07, 2018 •  [Post 5]

If the wind is good. I guess this is just what I tend to do,.. not what I should do,.Im moving in slowly just to see how close i can get,.. with the expectation he will get up and walk the perimeter.

With partner. One of us is moving close, the other will cow calll.
Lefty

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Postby Lefty » 08 07, 2018 •  [Post 6]

Swede wrote:I would stay quiet if the wind is stable and wait. Calling; especially if he can see the location where you are hid, will spook him away. Calling at him in heavily hunted areas will also get him to move out with his cows. You did not say he and the cows were bedded, so I would assume he and the cows move around some. Get ready and be prepared so you can shoot when the opportunity appears. Some people seem to believe the universal answer is to start calling. What do I start making noise with? Patience and waiting can be more deadly in the right situation. I believe this is one of them.

This is one of those learning experiences,.. a little patience can result in a gut pile 8-)
Well Ive experienced your description,.... running the herd off, but when using bull sounds,..
One time all the bugling and name calling nothing happened,.. it wasnt until I started raking any of the herd cared a single satellite bull walked in. 8 bulls and over 60 cows

Swede Im far from an expert in elk talk,... but this site convinced me trying to start a conversation ( And I still say the wrong things ) with elk isnt just elk hunting.To me added excitement to the hunt.

In part that's why I archery hunt,.. I dont need to kill another animal Im looking for a unique experience, a kill ends the hunt and puts meat in the freezer.

I often drive guys I take goose hunting crazy. I want the shot I want. And often dont call the shot with the expectation of something better of different.
Lefty

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 08 07, 2018 •  [Post 7]

Within 50 yards of a bull with cows? That won't last long before the hunter is detected with all those eyes, ears, and snouts on the alert. I'll play the patience game for a few minutes to see if old stinky may decide to cow check within my range (assume we're talking archery hunting here since its in the rut, or, perhaps smoke pole). At any rate, I know I don't have much time at that range before all you see are departing buttholes, and, all you hear are thundering hooves and crashing brush! I'll play the patience game just a few minutes and then then I'm lighting that bull up! Nock and arrow, pick shooting lane(s), distressed...whiny...pleading... cow calls over my shoulder or in the dirt and then a hearty SCREEEAAAMMMM!! directly at the bull... May or may not get a shot but that bull is coming my way in the next second or two.
WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ

Postby Swede » 08 07, 2018 •  [Post 8]

[quote="JhgHe is literally in the center of his cows and at this time is not circling because he can sight check from his location.[/quote]

You are within 50 yards and he can see your location just as well as you see his. He will not come closer if he can see there is no elk at your hiding hole or bush. Your setup location is bad for calling. Go ahead and light him up while the elk are all looking your way. All of them, but just for a second.
Swede

Postby Fridaythe13th » 08 07, 2018 •  [Post 9]

What if there was 2 of you?????
Fridaythe13th

First Name: Eric
Last Name: S

Postby Swede » 08 07, 2018 •  [Post 10]

If you have one person out of sight of the elk, then I would try calling. This might be a situation where some raking and stomping would get the bull to come in the direction of the caller and closer to the shooter.
Swede

Postby Jhg » 08 07, 2018 •  [Post 11]

I played the wait for him to check his cows card in rhe dense cutting and almost closed the deal there but shot wasn't there. He was, but vitals sheilded. 2nd encounter I pulled out another 50 yds cause I was on borrowed time that close, that timber... and in that rime they left into aforementioned cutting but not because of me. They never knew I was there. I think calling at that time would have been a mistake. However, a low level lost cow/"where are you" might have worked once they were climbing the cutting. That might have brought the cows, thus him, down. Or him to attain another cow. More on that scenario later in different encounter.
Jhg

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 08 07, 2018 •  [Post 12]

A herd bull will seldom leave his harem for a cow (almost never), and, herded up cows...the same. The cows aren’t interested in breaking off from the group to join a lone cow.
WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ

Postby Swede » 08 07, 2018 •  [Post 13]

I agree with RJ on this. In the circumstance you found yourself, I don't think you had a viable option. At least you did not push him away.
Swede