Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Almost a scouting trip

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Almost a scouting trip

Postby Lefty » 08 12, 2018 •  [Post 1]

My wife and I made the rounds where we will be archery elk hunting. One pasture is way overgrazed, another has fewer sheep than in the past. Two pastures werent grazed at all. Another the rancher said he will be moving them in soon.

An elderly hunter was just setting up camp for the season. A large 5th wheel,.. grass mowed, archery range set up and three bulk tanks of water. Only 20 more days :lol:

The one location Ive been excited to hunt. My daughter and I got in on the elk the last evening of our hunt . My wife and I made the hike in,.. the temperature had dropped from 92 to 72 degrees, but the smoke was enough to burn our throats. Hundreds and hundreds of daytime elk and deer pics, then the cows were moved in. Not a single elk pic from July first until August 3rd.Cows were moved out on the 28th then more pics elk and deer,.. and that flying tawny color,.. I finally may have gotten a mt lion trail cam pic. No much but a blur in the air
The camera is up about 7 feet above the ground and got a pic of the eyes and ears of a cow elk,..so was she on her back feet or just has a giraffe neck 8-)

Friends facebooked video of 4, 300 plus bull elk,.. the velvet was already gone on those NW Utah bull elk.
Lefty
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Re: Almost a scouting trip

Postby Swede » 08 12, 2018 •  [Post 2]

Lefty, hopefully you can get ahead of the cattle somewhere. Hopefully the elk are not all on the ranch where you can't hunt. You can write to the Forest Service about the over grazing, but it won't help much. If you complain long enough they will talk to you and explain how you can't believe your stupid lying eyes. Their measurements are better.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby Lefty » 08 12, 2018 •  [Post 3]

Swede wrote:Lefty, hopefully you can get ahead of the cattle somewhere. Hopefully the elk are not all on the ranch where you can't hunt. You can write to the Forest Service about the over grazing, but it won't help much. If you complain long enough they will talk to you and explain how you can't believe your stupid lying eyes. Their measurements are better.

I dont worry as much about cows as I do sheep. There are always those little nasty places cows wont go. A sheep tend to never make it into blowdown. Unfortunatley the one pasture that had a chance to regrow is along the main road.

I really was surprised how all the elk activity stopped on the one pasture once the cows showed up. Then the a few days after those cows were gone the elk were back.

Swede I might set up a treestand on the one trail. Ill check for use before I move in :mrgreen:
Lefty

Postby Joe Schmo » 08 12, 2018 •  [Post 4]

Does this mean it’s almost here??!!
I bought milk that had an expiration date of 9/17 today...by that date my 2018 archery season will be over!!!
Joe Schmo

Postby Lefty » 08 13, 2018 •  [Post 5]

Joe Schmo wrote:Does this mean it’s almost here??!!
I bought milk that had an expiration date of 9/17 today...by that date my 2018 archery season will be over!!!

Season comes too quickly.

My wife and I are off to her training in Tulalip Reservation in Washington . Were going to take a few days to enjoy the drive. Then a couple days helping a buddy on his cabin then heading to elk camp
Lefty

Postby Swede » 08 13, 2018 •  [Post 6]

I have a week to go before leaving for camp. Our season opens 8/24. I think I am ready except for preparing tree stand sites, but have some locations already picked out. I am continuing to shoot and do the daily hikes. The hikes never get easier, but my shooting is where it needs to be. It just took longer this year to get there.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics